Welcome to the forum

***CCA Primaveras CANCELLED***

edited March 2020 in General
Hello all,

After last years immensely successful racing, the club will be hosting two races again on Sunday 5th of April, 2020. We will be running a men’s regional B (50 miles, cat 3/4 only) at 9am and a women’s regional a (50 miles, cat 2/3/4 only) at 12.30pm. Both races are part of the Eastern Road Race League.

It will be on the same circuit as last year (around Elmdon) and I will need a similar amount of volunteers. Everybody that helped out last year had a great time, it was a fantastic atmosphere and a lovely day for it! I’ll post a list up of positions needing to be filled by club members under this post so you can keep tabs on it and see who’s doing what.

Please come and help support the club at the races, there will hopefully be free coffee too! I’m just in the process of organising everything at the moment but am planning on making it the same format as it was last year.

Any questions, please ask! Otherwise, make a note of the date and if you’re free and about, come and lend a hand when you can. If you can help for both races that would be amazing, but I appreciate that it’s a full on day (8am-3ish for most volunteers) so if you can just make one, or to help early doors before everything kicks off or even just to help clean up after everybody’s gone it’s always appreciated.

Happy new year!

Will

Comments

• edited March 2020
    Volunteer posts needing to be filled:

Driver for chief comm:
    Richard M
    Driver for assist comm:
    Chris P
    Lead car 1:
    Dave H and Dan H
    Lead car 2:
    Mike P (Taff)
    Service car:

Chief Judge:
    Mark W
    Assistant Judge:

Red flag marshal:

Licences/Signing on:
    Will S
    Licences/Signing on:
    Lillie S
    Licenses/Signing on:

1 Signs:
    Martin H
    2 Signs:
    Lillie S
    3 Signs:
    Alistair M
    4 Signs:

1 Sandwich making/setting up hall:
    Will S
    2 Sandwich making/setting up hall:
    Martin H
    3 Sandwich Making/setting up hall:
    Stevie W
    4 Sandwich Making/setting up hall:
    Alistair M

Car park marshal 1:
    Ed N
    Car park marshal 2:
  • Will , I should be able to 'persuade' Richard to drive for me in both races

Alison
  • Wonderful. Will be good to have Richard there, as ever anyway!

On another note, unfortunately this year Great Chishill village hall is booked up, so we can’t use that for the race. Does anybody have any suggestions for good sized village halls/venues near there that we could look into hiring for the day (7am-3/4pm). They need to be within a couple of miles of Elmdon, really.

So far I’m going to have a look at Chrishall village hall, have spoken to Fowlmere village hall and will be trying Great Chesterfield Community centre next...

Any ideas gratefully received!

W
  • Hi Will, I have put the date in my diary, should be able to help all day.
  • edited January 2020
    Cheers Martin! I’ll stick you down to help with signs and a bit of sandwich making/HQ stuff unless you fancy a bit of driving?
  • Arkesden Village Hall?.. This was the HQ for Mark Fraser's hill climb end of last year. Might be a bit far?
  • Unfortunately Arkesden village hall has almost no parking of its own. We had some special arrangements for parking space in the village for the hill climb which wouldn't be possible for the Primavera I'm afraid.

Mark F
  • HQ... Langley Community Centre - looks a couple of miles from the circuit? To book: 01799 550969. People could park on the off-road lane nearby? https://goo.gl/maps/x9gBv29ph3XNFruu8

Or Chrishall school nearby. They'd probably like a bit of cash.
  • I think Langley community centre looks like a rather small shed... it needs to be a bit bigger. I did think of the school, and will contact them tomorrow during school hours. Problem with having an HQ on the circuit that might not have parking for everybody means overspill on to the actual circuit, which is the last thing we need. Will have a chat with them tomorrow and find out the deal!
  • Ok, so everything looking good so far, I’ve been on the case with the HQ hunting and hopefully have found somewhere suitable.

As we’re looking to break even with the races this year I’ve increased the entry fee from £16 to £20 online and £25 on the day so will have a little more budget. However, I’ve had to cut the prize money a little. Martin L has kindly stepped in with a donation of £100 to help cover a couple of the prizes. They will be the Lawless Prize for most spectacular dismount and Lawless prize for Rider least able to cope with cornering at speed (possibly, I’m probably going to put them towards the first 4th cat rider in the 3/4 men’s race and first 3rd cat and 4th cat in the women’s 2/3/4). It would be great to have a similar donation from any other business owners here who would like their Logo chucked on the poster and the chance to present the prizes themselves to the competitors.

So does anybody fancy sticking a bit of cash in for the prize monies? Something for the first junior over the line in both races perhaps? DM me here or email me at rr@ccashwell.com.

Cheers!

W
  • Thanks to Steve J for contributing another £100 for prize money!
  • Hello all!

Just another shout out for a few more volunteers, come and give back a little more to the club if you have the time!

You’ll love the atmosphere on the day, it’s always great!

Looking for a couple more people to drive, you need to be a BC member if you want to drive for insurance purposes, but that’s it.
  • I can help out Will, though I don't drive. Not in good enough shape to race ;)
  • working night shifts then, so not going to be available.
  • Hi Will. I'm considering giving the race a go (not sure yet, as I've never taken part in a road race before), and I will help out afterwards.
  • Brendan, here’s your chance to give it a go then! It’s going to be a safe race as the hill keeps things calm (noted from last year) and the standard of riding will hopefully be high. It’s a 3/4, so no better place to start on your road racing! I’d highly recommend it, road racing and time trialling go hand in hand and I think you’d be great for this!
  • Hello all!

Still looking for 5-6 more volunteers to help put this race on. Without your input it won’t be able to go ahead!

Also, if anybody wants to share the poster on their social media to up the race numbers (mainly aimed at the women’s race as people don’t tend to sign on in advance for them but rather take their chances on the day which is silly as with so few entries it’s entirely likely the race will have to be cancelled...) please drop me an email (rr@ccashwell.com) and I’ll send a copy over.

Thanks,

Will
  • Hi Will, put me down, don't mind driving - did it a few years back when on the other loop. I'm some sort of BC member so should be ok.
  • Just a reminder that there will be

FREE COFFEE AND CAKE!!!!

For all volunteers...
  • Hello all!

To make the race a good safe race, I’ll need two more drivers and one more volunteer to help out at the HQ/parking. That’s a minimum! The more people we have helping out the smoother the races will run.

All looking good so far though, stick your name down on the list!

Thanks,

Will
  • Hi Will. I'll help with the driving mate.
  • Hello chaps, almost there now!

Thanks Taff, you’re on the list! I still really need somebody to help Ed marshalling the car park and another hand or two for the kitchen.

Also we will need some CAKE DONATIONS! A bike race without homemade cake is not a bike race...

Cheers!

W
  • I’ll do some brownies and pass them to Taff.
  • Sorry to say, but the Primaveras will be cancelled this year on the recommendation of British Cycling.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/article/20200312-British-Cycling-Coronavirus-COVID19-Guidance-0