Welcome to the forum

Belgium Trip, September 2020... CANCELLED

13»

Comments

• @ChrisP we thought after 7pm for the return sounded reasonable, with not too early a start? There's a ferry at 19.25- does that sound sensible?
  • Graham... yeh, I spent some time looking into navigating around the Kent Downs - (Kent Ups?) - but it seems impossible to avoid serious climbing without adding serious miles and/or busy roads.

Better the devil you know and we go with the previous route: it's severe in a few places and there's a bit of gravelly stuff here and there, but we're travelling light this time, the lanes are very quiet and it's scenic.
  • No problem, the lighter load will make a difference. Time to start some hill training.
  • I have not my booked ferry tickets yet, especially following yesterdays quarantine changes regarding Belgium and that travel insurance is likely to be invalid as travelling would be against government advice. Fingers crossed things will change, but is there a back stop date re the bookings?

or if travel to Belgium is not possible would we consider making it a France Tour?
  • Hi Martin. Yeh: not looking good at the moment. I think for now we just keep an eye on things and see how things go.

Not sure if France is a safer bet. My back-up if things get cancelled would probably be something a bit more certain like a UK-only tour e.g to the Lincolnshire Wolds.
  • Having waited with bated breath for the UK to lift the Portugal restrictions pre holiday and to no avail, and even though the Algarve had almost no cases!! its still a no go... I can't see Belgium restrictions being lifted in such a short space of time unfortunately. Also as an FYI, quarantine is not much fun! worse than lockdown as you can't even walk your dog! not that I've got a dog ;-)
  • Agree Skelders, was waiting for Portugal to be lifted also. Appears to be a very cautious approach to international travel... Quarantine is proper bobbins.
  • Still, there's always Geoff's place? ;-)
  • Hi all... We're making a pretty obvious call to cancel this trip.

I expect we will re-book for 2021.

Unsure at this point if we'll be organising a more COVID-friendly alternative trip for the dates in September.
  • Sounds like a sensible call. Heading north then! Off to find some hills?
  • I'm booked off anyway. Happy to have some longish rides with Belgium socials at the end even if we have to go home each night. Let's still keep to riding a stint of hard miles that weeeknd.
  • ....or pedal up to Skegness 120’ish miles self supported - night in cheap hotel - pedal home....
  • Have emailed everyone about deposits etc.
    Trip provisionally re-scheduled for end Sept 2021.
    More details early in 2021.
  • Sorry you have cancelled this.
    If any of you want a weekend cycling in fabulous country you are all welcome up here. Not quite the same but well worth it.
  • edited September 2020
    My diary has just reminded me I should be riding to Belgium tomorrow... Damn!

I made the fatal mistake of checking out the local weather forecast… Double-damn!

It would have been an ace trip… Van Damme!

Whatever those are doing instead: have fun, and I look forward to this trip in 2021.

• Fedommer
    Darn on flemmish