Welcome to the forum

The "Ike Saul" Cambridge CC road race - CCA report

Hi all
I represented the club today at the nearby 'Ike Saul' road race. I was unable to get us any points in the Eastern Road Race League - but I had a good time, in a tough race. Next time!

Full race report...
https://martinlawless.tumblr.com/post/612684385317257216/the-ike-saul-road-race-2020

Meanwhile, Dave W represented CCA yesterday at Milton Keynes and did well in his crit. Mitchy was there too and grabbed 9th in his E/1/2 race. Jenny raced today at got 5th at Preston Park. I'll try and keep the forum updated on 1st and 2nd claim CCA road racing.

I hope it helps inspire more members to get into the road racing scene. It's a bit like the successful cyclo-cross scene but without the adverse cambers.

Cheers!

Comments

• It was a tough race Martin, following the bunch I could see you for most of the race tucked in- there were 58 starters, roughly half finished .

The standard of riding early on was truly shocking with riders over the double white lines, consistently riding on the right rather than the left, even on blind bends & hill summits, going the wrong side of traffic islands and riding so far right accredited marshals had to leap out of the way to avoid being hit.
    This is why I made the decision to stop the race & give the riders a talking to. I'm pleased to say the standard of riding improved for the rest of the race.

Road Commissaires in the Eastern region will be taking a tough stance and riders will be relegated/ DQd where this type of behaviour is witnessed.

Racing on the road comes with a code of behaviour, namely following the highway code & we need to be respectful of all other road users.

BTW - the above is not aimed at CCA riders in particular it is a comment about the riding we saw yesterday - we want all riders to be safe whilst racing on the open road

• Thanks Alison - it was a welcome call to halt the race and give us a talking-to - and it worked too.
  • Great ride (and write-up) Martin. Glad you got this race in, looks like it could have been the last of the Spring- as predicted, the King's Lynn RR this weekend is cancelled, as I'm sure most others are as of yesterday. No word on E2/10 on Saturday yet; could this year see a massive resurgence in timetrialling, as one of the only truly solitary sports possible..? A good year to be buying shares in Zwift...
  • Doh! Spoke too soon- even lone timetrialling events aren't immune to cancellation...