Welcome to the forum

Thetford MTB Winter Series Round 4

edited March 2020 in Cyclocross/Offroad
Sunday was the last race of the series, a little later than planned as it had been cancelled due to the weather the other week...good job they managed to fit it in......that took place at Southam Warren near Kings Lynn....and what a superb course it was...very dry considering the weather we have had, some great down hills, a handful of bomb holes and some lovely downhill looping bits through the woods, and some super fast single track....together with of course some draggy climbs and steep lumps to get over that offerred the choice of an A or B route....I took the B...

I went for a half lap (3miles...) warm up with Geoff E to have a sight of the course followed by a couple of peanut butter and jam sandwiches (food of champions) to get me through the race....

Keith L, Martin H and me were riding the 3hr enduro....and 3hrs is a long time mtb'ing on a course like that (but not as bad as round 3!!)...Martin was last to the start line as he had underestimated how long a sighting lap was!! and we were all gridded close together. A fast start, as expected, followed by the obligitory sharp right hand bend at the end of the opening straight (..and remember kids you can't win a race on the first bend...but you can lose it...) and so it strung out very quickly....the first lap for each of us was just over 30mins....Keith had to go in the pits on the second lap to tighten up a loose set of handlebars (...new bikes for you...) where he lost a bit of time but he managed to pull both of us back in over the next few laps...impressive stuff...he went past me as i took the B line and Keith went A.....

Geoff was riding the 1.5hr race that sets off halfway through our race...only saw him the once as he came flying past me up one of the the steep banks and after a few bends he had disappeared, making it look so easy...

I think Martin "sufferred" a bit on his "classic GT 26'er"...with the 29'ers taking advantage of the fast terrain...just think how quick he would be if got into the 21st century....;-)... i was gradually catching him on lap 4, but then the fatigue really set in....and it started raining/drizzling...

After 5 laps i went through the timing gate with 10mins to go, so i girded my loins for a final lap....which as expected wasn't my fastest of the race but I managed to get some overtakes in...which was nice!

Final placings..

31st 6 laps in 03:31:10 Keith L

32nd 6 laps in 03:33:30 Martin H

33rd 6 laps in 03:36:21 Phil K

13th 4 laps in 02.02.34 Geoff E

If you think CX is tough....you want to give this a go...

Comments

• That was hard - but I should expect that by now!
    Like Phil said, a superb course, probably my favourite of the 4 rounds.
    I ran out of legs towards the end, had no power left. Maybe I should be doing some longer rides.
    Shame that'll be the last race for a while.
  • It was definitely the best course of the 4 rounds and would be worth a trip back up there as an alternative to Thetford.

I must admit it a bit depressing to see the rolling speed difference between 26” and 29” wheels. I fear the 25year old GT is struggling or maybe it’s the 50year old legs pushing the pedals?

The Thetford series has been tough but very enjoyable.
  • Only did the last race but really impressed with the professional set up friendly atmosphere and quality of the riders. Plan to enter the series next winter for sure. And yes was thinking the same Martin to drive up and ride the tracks again at some stage 👍. Get a 29er when u can. Massive difference