Welcome to the forum

Ashwell - Wells-Next-The-Sea Classic 2020

13»

Comments

• I will be glad to ride with you Vince See you all in the morning. Looking forward to the journey adventures 👍
  • ordered you a Tuna Mayo on White Vince. I said you'll be along about an hour after everyone else as you'll be on the front of grupetto vincenzo for 70 miles!!

I apologies in advance for sucking wheels. I was going to bail out as I have a stinking cold all week, but I'm gonna give it a crack (at the back).
  • Face covering Face Covering Face Covering... don’t forget.. it’s a long cold ride back from the Fenman after 6 pints
  • Have fun guys
  • Fantastic day chaps. Thanks Martin and Matt and anybody I’ve missed out for organising!
  • Cheers Martin, 10 year anniversary of this classic. Still as tough and rewarding as ever!
  • Top man for organising, Martin. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of KL - will make the full trip next year!
  • Thank you everyone- especially Martin. Another awesome trip- Even if @Taff was a bit quick out of the blocks!! Fenman as ever surpassed themselves with the number of beige items they were able to muster in one buffet! Good work all and remember if anyone now develops Covid symptoms please let me know so we can alert your bubble!
  • Thanks Martin & Matt, that was a great day out, I should have taken an earlier train home as my head isnt so good this morning! Good luck at the club champs Martin, I hope you have something left in the tank after the Wells to Kings Lynn blast
  • yes thanks Martin and Matt, another brilliant CCA day out
  • Martin, let us know what we owe you for the food
  • Martin. Fantastic day. Great route and organisation. Thanks everyone for all the pulls. Never been so deep. I'll prepare next year.
  • edited September 2020
    A great day out on Friday: it was the 10th anniversary of this Classic and we had one of the best, with a gentle cross-tail wind and temperature that was OK once the morning lifted a bit. It could have been the fastest time to Wells. It certainly was for 'Bubble 1' who raced to Ely at lightspeed and left for the Stag Inn as Bubble 3 was arriving.

Things must have relaxed a lot more for the ride to lunch. We all seemed to arrive at about the same time and enjoyed an al fresco sandwich at the Stag in West Acre.

It's only 20 or so miles to Wells from there. But it does get a bit rolling. In the last group we passed Matt who suffered the only puncture of the day. Indeed, the day was made by no one having any serious mechanicals or fitness issues.

Into a rammed Wells. It was the busiest we've ever seen. Against expectations after a sandwich, I ordered cod and chips and enjoyed it sat on the harbour edge, with the tide quite low. It was a little bit disorganised leaving Wells, but it all worked out as we circled Holkham again and we dug deep into the now headwind for King's Lynn.

There was a natural burn-up at the front to the Fenman pub, and the various bubbles became bubblier as they splintered and split as people found their own pace.

The Fenman has become a highlight and lovely way to end the day. They'd reserved us the outdoor tables and had prepared a large selection of triangular and spherical snacks - as well as a great cake to celebrate Stef and Matt's incoming birthdays. When it got too cold, we sat inside and watched the Tour de France stage highlights on ITV4.

If you want to contribute to the Fenman half-dome Scotch Egg fund, send £4 to me, 30-99-52, 00297457.

We got back on staggered trains. My train home gave us a splendid sunset as we burped Peroni and sausage meat fumes. It was a bit hard at the Ashwell Grass Track champs the next day. But that was always going to be the case, however sore the legs and head.

It was nice to see the Wells 'regulars'. It's a ride that gives a great chance to catch up with people you don't see often enough - it's more a social than a bike ride in many ways. It was also good to have a few Wells noobies with us, who you know will be back for more at the next Ashwell Classic (the 3-Cafes ride to Suffolk and back, end of March 2021). More than ever, I look forward to the Belgium 2021 trip.

Thanks to the Charlotte and Sarah who opened up Rhubarb & Mustard early for us. Well done all for buying a coffee and supporting local Ashwell business.

• Hi all...

Pencil in Friday 19 March 2021 for the CC Ashwell Three-Cafes Spring Classic. The day before Milan-San Remo as per usual.

We will fly there with our fresh Spring legs and veins full of corona virus vaccine.
  • Hey Martin, I've transferred £8 over for you (Spencer and I) for food at Fennman