Welcome to the forum

5th August Evening 10TT - Results, Write-up and Handicap Points

edited September 2020 in Time Trial
Tonight's results on a warm evening but with a blustery South-Westerly.

1. M. Young 21.57
2. W. Smith 22.06 (PB)
3. J. Stuart 22.07 (PB)
4. C. Lynch 22.48
5. M. Lightfoot (J) 23.11
6. D. Wells 23.20 (PB)
7. J. Field (F) 23.27
8. E. Storti (J) 23.47
9. S. Daniels (J) 23.53 (PB)
10. G. Askew 23.56
11. B. Ronayne 24.00
12. S. Richardson 24.39
13. J. Andrews (F) 24.53 (PB)
14. D. Marriage 25.19
15. S. Douglas 25.31
16. R. Glover 26.18
17. S. Orriss 26.43 (PB)
18. T. Lunnon 27.12
19. R. Bumstead 27.40
20. E. Mitchinson (FJ) 29.41
DNF C. Potter (Puncture)
DNS A. McLeish

Comments

• Thanks for organising Andy, No.16 i think is Richard Glover
    Jackie
  • Thanks for organising and thanks to all the helpers.
  • Thanks for getting the club 10 back on the road, Andy! Would have stayed longer for a chat (almost did, not quite got this foot down thing particularly slick yet) but was in a bit of a rush. See you next week! If I’m working on the weds I should be able to come and help marshal instead of riding, won’t know till the beginning of the week unfortunately.
  • Thanks Jackie, Richard’s name now fixed. Apologies to you Richard - how could I have forgotten *your* surname??!
  • Massive thank you to Andy, Stuart and the marshals for putting this on. There was such a buzz, and clearly people have missed racing! I hope you can see how much your hard work in making this happen was appreciated.
  • Thanks all, much appreciated
  • edited August 2020
    What a thrill it was to see racing again after the psychological straight-jacket of lockdown! And what a stellar field assembled! And boy, has there been some lockdown training done: all told, there were no fewer than 7 CCA PBs on the night!

But to begin at the beginning. We gathered in unusual conditions: warm, but with a strongish South-Westerly that would make the back leg along the B1042 Lower Road testy. And as I stood to marshal the Toll Bar turn I could see a line of light showers pushing off the tops at Therfield over Royston and on into Cambridgeshire. But nothing to trouble our riders, some of whom, undeterred by the wind, chose to sport a range of deep-section and even solid back wheels. And to lend an extra frisson, the start list included 7 of the top 9 fastest CCA testers on this course, the backbone of our winning Inter Club 2020 squad, including Mrs. Field recently returning to competition with a "new" knee.

One of the interests in organising your own start list is that you can do a little "social engineering" by drawing up races-within-races. This allowed me to pit the three fast juniors against one another playing hare and hounds toward the top of the field. And the "hare" it was - Master Lightfoot that is - who took home the bragging rights beating the "hounds" of Masters Storti and Daniels into second and third places. Nevertheless, Master Daniels shattered his previous best on this course set in June 2018 by an extraordinary 2:54 to be our Handicap winner on the evening and receive a free entry to next week's race!

And a big hand to Miss Mitchinson who navigated the course at her first try in under the half-hour. A simply terrific effort and we look forward to much more to come from you Miss :-)

Mrs. Field was Fastest Lady on the night only 11 seconds off her best on this course, so her knee is clearly gaining in strength! :-)

Another eye-catching result was from Mr. Glover, a "26" at how ever many years young? Incredible!

The much anticipated clash of the speedsters was tempered a touch by the early loss on his ride through a puncture of Mr. Potter. Better luck next week, sir. Nevertheless, the "top of the table clash" did not disappoint with Mr. Young defending his Fastest Gentleman 2019 title, Mr. Smith close behind with a 41 second PB and Mr. Stuart in third with a 1:02 PB of his own - if only you'd been able to clip back in quickly after the Toll Bar footdown!

In fourth with a fantastic "22" is a debutant Mr. Lynch, who I note had been on the previous night's chaingang too. A strong start! And the recent altitude training had clearly had an effect on Mr. Wells and Ms. Andrews, both of whom recorded PBs, of 1:03 and 9 seconds respectively! :-)

Other notable rides included Mr. Orriss who lopped a huge 32 seconds off his own PB on this course.

Thank you to our all second claim members who supported our humble event, particularly our friends from Meridian Tri and SNCC. :-) And to our helpers, Mr. Miles and Mr. Chitu - thanks both. Your time keeper was Mr. Field. Bravo!

So, to the competitions. We'll be running a (very) short season of Fastest Woman, Fastest Man, Fastest Junior and Fastest Vet off Standard. To qualify, a rider needs to ride once each on our two courses, with there being two rides each on each course during this short 2020 season. The fastest average times to win! The Handicap will be the accumulated points total across all four races.

And so to the Handicap points scored last night (1st claim CCA only, all those not listed scored one point):
    S. Daniels 21
    D. Wells 16
    W. Smith 13
    S. Orriss 10
    D. Marriage 8
    J. Field 6
    M. Young 5
    G. Askew 4
    B. Ronayne 3
    C. Lynch 2
    Game on!