Welcome to the forum

Roundabout turn on the new Wrestlingworth-Wimpole-Wrestlingworth TT course

Hi All,

I've had an enquiry from a less experienced tester about the roundabout (RAB) turn, specifically the potholed surface, but thought it would reassure any who have not had the experience of riding RAB turns in a TT before to hear from more experienced testers please.

Although I wouldn't classify myself in the experienced tester bracket, here are a few thoughts to start the ball rolling as I've ridden the course in semi-anger recently and risk assessed it to the satisfaction of the CTT so that we were authorised to ride it.

The RAB itself is essentially a cross roads with all four roads joining equidistantly, i.e. at approximately 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock when viewed on the map (12 o'clock being North). Riders enter the RAB from the direction of 9 o'clock and - of course - must give way to the right. The major source of traffic coming from the right will be from vehicles entering from 6 o'clock and in full sight of the rider turning right, i.e. vehicles from the A1198 from Royston. When I did a per hour vehicle count as part of the risk assessment, the number of vehicles using the A1198 from Royston entering the RAB was high enough that CTT would regard the RAB as medium risk, so to mitigate we must station a marshal on the corner of the A1198 from Royston and the B1042 return towards Wrestlingworth, in addition to the signs for the traffic entering the RAB from the A1198 from Royston that a cycle race is in progress. The marshal wears hi-viz, so that - in combination with the signage - should warn vehicle users to take care entering the RAB - at least that's the theory. I will be that marshal wearing hi-viz on the inaugural use of the course because I want to see that all goes OK and tweak the risk assessment as necessary. Additionally, the vehicle count was done pre-Covid, so I would be surprised if, if I did a new per hour vehicle count of vehicles using the A1198 from Royston, the number of vehciles wasn't significantly lower.

The next busiest road entering the RAB is from the A603 from Cambridge - the road at 3 o'clock. These vehicles will only be a problem if they turn right towards the North, i.e. the A1198 Ermine Street at 12 o'clock, which would be unusual, but riders should still be vigilant. A relatively few vehicles per hour enter the RAB from 12 o'clock - immediately to the left of the rider (A1198 Ermine Street) - though they *should* give way to the rider. Both the A603 and A1198 Ermine Street will also have a sign warning vehicle users of a cycle race and that is sufficient for the risk assessment for these lower volume traffic routes (no additional marshal required).

So in summary, give way to the right at the RAB and keep a particular eye out for vehicles entering the RAB from the AA1198 from Royston.

OK, so to the road surface. So you'll enter the RAB from the right hand side of the lane entering the RAB after checking that it is safe to move across. The road surface on the far side of the RAB is poor in places, but - if you visualise the RAB as if it were two lanes wide all the way around - basically a line of potholes appears to have formed between the two lanes on the far side as the rider enters. I've found that if you stay in the middle of the "inside" lane pedaling while leaning a bit - you need confidence to do that that you won't strike the road surface with your pedal - and hold your line you get a smooth surface all the way round and a pleasing "slingshot" effect as you peel away to take the exit back towards Wrestlingworth.

Better if you can take a look before rather than facing this for the first rime on the night, but I think it's safely navigable so long as you pay particular attention.

I hope that helps. Any other thoughts?

Comments

• Great post Andy. In short from me, who I definitely do not consider to be gods gift to bike handling is that it's totally fine, and the rider should not over think it, position and indicate like they would for any other junction and ride to the conditions, i.e. if they dont know where the potholes are..go round at an appropriate speed.
  • Ditto what Chris says - come off the aero bar, take the speed off and just ride it as though you are on a road bike negotiating any roundabout
    Jackie
  • Novice RAB practice this evening as suggested. One observation, at 7 pm sun is low and directly behind coming into the roundabout so it is unusually hard to see any vehicles behind. Take care.