Welcome to the forum

Dragon Ride, June 6, 2010

edited June 2010 in Sportives
The Dragon Ride is notoriously popular, in fact 2792 people finished the event this year. Three distances were available, but I had not got out bed for anything less than the full 190 km. With so many people arriving it took me 35 minutes in the queue to park my car and once I’d sorted my bike out another whole HOUR in the queue to roll over the start mat. The organisers had sent the timing chips in advance (a foil device embedded in the number card).

Delightfully the Mavic Service Team were on hand. Their yellow van, with uber complete bicycle workshop, is now my fantasy vehicle. The hero award though goes to ‘Monsieur Mavic’ riding a bright yellow motorbike and jumping off to attend to rider’s punctures. Maybe we could hire him for club runs Strappy?

The ‘Bwlch’ is climbed twice, once from the south through Nant-y-moel (at the start of the event) and the final killer climb tackles this pass from the west going through Abergwynfi. The latter packs in 573m of climbing in 19km and is ‘challenging’. There are plenty of switchbacks on both ascents so it has a very continental feel. I noted a total of 3240m climbing.

The weather was stunningly hot. The organisation was good but, and this is a very big flaw, they advertised energy drink at the feed stops and then didn’t have any. Very annoying; if I’d known I could have filled my pockets with white powder.

A great route through South Wales and one which ‘Le Chemin Bleu’ would relish. However I note the Chiltern 100 was enjoyed greatly (perhaps they won’t clash next year). My time reflects my current form and so I posted a disappointing 8h6min. Boo.

Daniel