Welcome to the forum

Belgium 2021

The 2020 Belgium trip had to be postponed due to the travel restrictions that came in end of August. Martin L and I have rearranged the trip for September 2021, expanding it to take in the UCI World champs taking place in Flanders. Full details below.

Most people who were signed up for the 2020 trip have confirmed for the re-arranged trip, but there will probably be a couple of spaces, and of course in today’s slightly uncertain world there could be more changes. If you are interested in joining the trip post below with an indication of preferred option, and we will start a waitlist. No commitment required at this stage. Costs... depends on how long you stay in the hotel and how transport works out but ball-park £300 plus spending money. We can be clearer on exact costs nearer the time when we know everyone's plans.

Obviously at the moment France and Belgium are on the amber travel list but the hope is restrictions will be lifted over the summer. If the trip can’t take place due to COVID there will be a UK based alternative on offer.

Any questions post here or chat to Martin or I, or email me ( stefan_dixon at hotmail dot com)

The plan is:
Weds 22nd Sept, those riding out leave, ferry in the evening and overnight Calais. Complete the ride to Oudernaarde on Thursday.

Thurs 23rd – Those driving leave. Check in and ride out to meet the group cycling over for coffee/beer. * Chance of a visit to the world famous St Sixtus brewery which we have never managed before because it is shut Friday-Sunday.

Fri 24th – The big one – The CCA Tour of Flanders sportive, approx. 100 miles, including 15 famous climbs from the Tour of Flanders and 6 brutal cobbled sections.

Sat 25th – Options… go and watch the women’s Worlds road race or day off and visit the Flanders Cycling museum maybe, or go for a ride – light spin or visit some more of the cobbled climbs in the area.

Sun 26th – trip to watch the Men’s Worlds road race - thinking of getting an MPV taxi or similar to get us there and back, with lunch somewhere near the route. Or return home early if you wish/have to.

Mon 27th – return home. Option to have bike bought back by someone driving and take the early Eurostar if you need to be back for work Monday… Otherwise leisurely return by car/train/bike whatever.

If you haven’t experienced them before the Worlds is a great race to watch. Hard core cycling fans come from all over and it is always a great one day race with obviously the best riders in the world competing. Add the fact that it is in cycle-mad Flanders this year – should be awesome!

Transport – obviously we will have to see who wants to do what but there are lots of options. Drivers bringing back those who cycle over. Possibly hiring a van/trailer and getting a mate to drive over. Train options to get back too, from Oudenaarde station or via Kortrijk or Lille to Calais, and trains from Dover to London.

As in 2020 options for riding…
The Boonen (3 x Tour of Flanders winner)
Weds/Thurs Riding from Ashwell to Calais, approx. 140 miles. Riding Calais to Oudernaarde, approx. 100 miles. Pan-flat and a tailwind, sir? Don't mind if I do.
Sunday/or Monday. Ride (or train) back to Calais and get a train back from Dover.

The Merckx (2 x Tour of Flanders winner)
All the same as the Boonen, except Sunday/Monday will be a short recovery ride before being driven home.

The Gilbert (1 x Tour of Flanders winner)
Thurs. Driving out to Oudernaarde early. Riding the Thursday Boonen/Merckx route in reverse, to meet the oncoming riders in between Roeselare and Harelbeke for a pastry and beer, before all riding back to Oudernaarde.
Sunday/Monday - The same as the Merckx (see above).

Trip is very flexible so there’s also the Wout Van Aert (mix it up a bit, do your own thing, come out earlier to see more of the Worlds maybe, train home maybe etc). Van Aert… he can cx, he can sprint, he can time trial, he can climb… whatever!

Finally obviously we recognise lots can change between now and September, will make sure we are prepared for cancellations and have a UK based alternative for the worst case scenario.

Comments

• Hi all.
    We are closing in on Belgium and I'm speaking to Stef on feasibility of it all going ahead as planned.

To help - it would be good to know who wants in - or will back off for this trip.

cheers

Martin
    martin@ccashwell.com
  • Hi Martin, Jenny and I are definitely still up for the trip. Unchanged categories in theory, but I'll be assessing my fitness over the next few weeks- gonna need to get some miles in from somewhere first...🤷
  • I am supposed to be racing in Luxembourg on the 25th, but given my form and injury status it is quite unlikely this will happen - in which case I am very keen on getting involved in this, probably +1 if possible. We would probably do a WvA
  • Unfortunately I’m not going to be able to make it as I’m back to music work then, off on tour. Pros and cons… sorry!
  • Will need to have a think and confirm chaps, London marathon is the weekend after and whilst i'd love to Boonen my way over, i'd also like to have a good race at London - will get back to you asap
  • Thanks for the feedback folks. I've sent an email to you all on a few details and next steps... ta!
  • I'm going to have to pull out like others. I don't think the trip is feasible and I don't think I'd be let in either!