Welcome to the forum

Chaingang - Tues 18 May 2021, 7pm

I hope to see you at the chaingang. Super tough going and relentless in Group 1 last week. It was like the Giro stage just now on the telly.

Perhaps we take the edge off the pace going up the hill at the very start - so that we don't lose anyone straightaway.

Standard chaino info...

Probably two groups. 'Group 2' more inclusive at around 20-22mph average which is basically the same as doing the Club 10 TT in 30 minutes. If you're able to do that: you're fine, as the aero/energy benefits of drafting will help. Group 2 should let the other group go first by a minute or so - to avoid the chances of overlapping on the course.

If you want in on the 2021 Ashwell Chaingang WhatsApp group for the very latest updates on the evening: text me. Martin 07977652247

7pm - Depart Ashwell, Three Tuns at easy pace.
7.05pm - Meet up with those waiting at Steeple Morden pub/church and begin the chaingang. Let's have a quick discussion on groups here if need be before setting off.

1. We rotate the chain anti-clockwise all the way.

2. If there's less than 4, it's probably better making it a TTT instead of a chain.

3. All welcome. CCA members or not.

4. Feeling the burn? Before you blow up, sit out your place in the chain and simply hang on at the back saying 'Last!' so the gang knows to miss you out. Enjoy the free speed from the group draft effect and rejoin, rotating in the chain with clear communication once/if you have your breath back.

5. Aim for smoothness: the fast line is only fractionally faster (1mph) than the resting line, don't spring out of corners, don't overlap wheels, be super alert at all times and call out every hazard and manoeuvre.

6. "What if I get dropped?"… It can happen to anyone and that's fine: you are still officially bad-ass for turning up and doing it. Ease back or turn around and latch on the next lap, or solo TT to continue the effort . Come back next week and see if you can hold on for longer.

7. The 9-mile lap:
https://www.bikemap.net/en/r/996158/

Comments

• edited May 2021
    By the way, next Tuesday 25th May, I will skip the chaino to go racing over at the new Colchester circuit. 6.30pm. It will be 45 mins or 1hr, + 3 laps. I'll set off around 4pm and hope to avoid traffic.

It's a TLI federation race. Their races are not categorised by ability or age. Everyone goes around together - so like our chaingang really: all ages, shapes and sizes welcome. You are positioned at the end: overall and by age bracket.

It's £15 to join the TLI. Easily done through their website. You can then select the 'B' race on RiderHQ and enter for £12.50:
    https://www.riderhq.com/events/p/3vggwkzs/f/velo-schils-tli-circuit-races-3/entries/ohkiyx4h/b-race

'A' is their higher ability race, if you fancy that. Numbers look low in that race. I expect they will lump it all together or make it a Hare & Hounds race if things don't change. The start time might change if they alter things.

If we get a few of us there - we could have a strategy and tictacs. Maybe we can chat pre/post chaingang.

Here's a view of the TLI race last week and a chance to see the Colchester circuit:

• Group 2 stats: 7 up for lap 1 @ 23.1mph, we picked up Vince for lap 2 @ 22.4mph.
  • 8 out in Group 1. Very smooth. High pace tempo and pretty tough in places. Great training. Laps 1 and 2 worked out at 24.4mph.

4 went for a third lap, so me, Nathan, Jason and Will did a TTT. Jason super strong to Bassingbourn and hauling me into my 3rd fastest ever segment there. Nathan was tipping the scales at 27mph into the headwind as we caned it back towards Steeple. I saluted him when he eventually came off the front. I went on the front and could barely keep it above 20! 24.5mph average there. Will went for a sprint finish. A collector’s item for me there.

We dodged the rain really. But it sounds like group 1 had an earlier finish and headed back into the downpour. Should have done a third lap lol!
  • @Dan Hall - Jason needs a new pair of bib shorts