Welcome to the forum

Dave Lloyd Mega - June 20th

edited June 2010 in Sportives
You can't form a train from only two coaches; especially when I am one of them. So why not join Malcolm and I for the very excellent Dave Lloyd Mega, Ruthin North Wales (June 20th). Last year's monster route has been made more sensible and is a very modest 120 miles (there are shorter options). Alex will tell you just how much fun it is. I should point out that the unpopular 'transition' sections have been removed and the route goes up the easy way to Bwlch y Croes. The HQ has fine camping facilities and breakfast is provided. Whilst it is quite hilly this should not put any CCA sportivista off. North Wales has some stunning roads and views, which this route seeks out.

So come on, climb aboard, let's run the blue train through North Wales.

Daniel

www.davelloydmegachallenge.com

Comments

• Agreed. It is a good event with some great climbs.

I'd also add that this year they are painting the route markings on the road so you can't get lost. Last year some local scally took down a few signs adding roughly 10 miles to most people's ride as they tried to find the route. Not fun when you are 20 miles into a 146 mile ride and - it being Wales - it is raining.
  • Malcolm,
    I'm travelling up to Ruthin on Saturdat afternoon. Camping at the school and heading off ASAP. After the ride I am going to Bristol. What are your plans? My phone number is 0-seven-nine-84-26-sixty-80
    Daniel
  • Hi Daniel,
    I am travelling up early Sunday morning aiming to get there about 6am.
    I am meeting up with a mate and we are hoping to start about 7,you are more than welcome to ride with us.
    I will give you a call when i arrive.my number is 07944683052.
    See you Sunday.

Malcolm
  • I camped Saturday night at the HQ, Ruthin School, which was a very good arrangement. Ate some rather fine porridge on Sunday morning and put my bike together. Happily met up with Malcolm and his mate Wayne. We got going about 07:15. The sky was clear and CCA blue, yet it was still quite chilly.

By the top of the first climb, The Horse Shoe Pass, we’d lost Wayne. I felt marvellous; I was riding a pair of Mavic Ksyriums for the first time and they are fantastic. (Does Cancellara use these?) Some more hills and the first feedstop. Malcolm waited for his buddy and I pressed on. After a few more hills I was flagging, (clearly the Cancellara effect of the new wheels had gone flat). By this point I was on the gentle descent to Bala, happily Dave Lloyd showed up and my spirits lifted as I jumped onto his train. I even led for a short while until a small incline destroyed my pace (and Dave kept on).

The next feature was Bwlch y Croes; this time the route went south up the north facing side. A much better way in my view, as the south facing ascent is ridiculous. After another big climb the route descended down a terrifying hill and onto the second feed. Soup, bread rolls and malt loaf recharged me and I set off for ‘The Stingers’; a serious of nasty ‘little’ hills.

I was beyond flagging and now grovelling (didn’t even look up for the cameraman) but how my spirits lifted when Malcolm caught me. It seems his buddy Wayne was having a bad day and decided on the shorter ride. Given the waiting time Malcolm had done very well to catch me. I rode like a fresh rider for a while; long enough at least to hit the glorious 5 mile descent back to Ruthin.

The ride actually finishes at the top of a ridiculous hill; Bwlch Penbarras. It climbs 260m in 2.2km. Parts are 1:4 and there is a hairpin bend at 1:3. You have to pass the HQ to reach the foot of the hill; which is a real head game! As I crept up this final incline all I wanted to do was to get off and walk. Somehow I kept upright and managed to squeeze out the last ounce of energy to get around the daunting hairpin. After ‘levelling off’ a little the final push is steep and straight. I cramped just in time for the photographer and then was in full view of the spectators at the top. How can you get off at this point? I crossed the line powered by one leg as the other was effectively paralysed by cramp.

In retrospect the hill top finish was magnificent. The weather was perfect; clear, still and not too warm. The view was inspiring at the end; tired from a hard day’s riding. You can’t be in a better place than North Wales when the weather is good.

121 miles. 3700m of climbing, (according to my watch which uses barometric pressure). 9h30m35s Thanks to Malcolm for getting me to the end; it was such a boost that he joined me. A most impressive ride from him.

Sadly only 200 people entered this superb event! I don’t understand it. It is only hard if you ride hard. The route is much improved from last year and the hill top finish is brilliant. I recommend this event to you, especially if you are planning a French sportive later on.

So that’s it. My final ride before La Marmotte. I don’t feel great.

Daniel
  • This is what cramp looks like http://www.sprint-photo.co.uk/4PM__5PM_g203-_p6479.html (Photos of Malcolm are close in the photo gallery). Note driving Welsh rain.
  • a grimace was what I was hoping for......
  • Well done old chap... great report as always :)
  • edited June 2010
    With 2 weeks to La Marmotte i am sure you will 'peak' with perfect timing! looking forward to the report already!