Welcome to the forum

STONE CLEARING OUR NEW TRACK CIRCUIT

edited June 2010 in General
Hi Guys........anyone with spare energy who wants to help preparing CCA Grass track NEW site off smallgains lane...we are meeting with buckets/rakes/small gardening hand forks/a few beers etc.....all hands welcome to de-stone the site prior to seeding in August......directions.....turn right at war memorial into Station road...on left hand side JUST AFTER the last house turn into a lane......we are at the end past the Accies Football and Allotments.....turning is BEFORE the traffic calming section out of the village...........see you there 2.00pm to 5.00pm........the more who help now the fewer sesions we will need...thanks in advance

next is planned for SAT. 19th June 2-5pm

Comments

• Hoping to pitch up with as many of my mob as can be persuaded!
  • Sorry Geoff - no Maynards available for this Saturday

Twins at Scout Camp,
    Richard away
    & Joshua at Hog Hill with me acting as chauffuer.
  • http://www.grassform.co.uk/stone-picking.htm
  • just a reminder.....stone clearing again TODAY Saturday 19th......2.00 - 5.00pm

as before...rakes/buckets and willing hands please..all the more the merrier.....we are looking into the stone burier, but it is expensive and will necessitate redoing some of the preparation work again...jury is out, so we need to continue with the manual option for the present
  • Geoff, should have a window of stone picking oppurtunity from 2 - 4. will bring Bill and Ben the flower pot men.
  • Can't join you this week. Sorry. Daniel
  • Thanks to Tim Sarah and boys, Simon and Alex for their help today.another stretch de-stoned.........We will need more people if we are going to clear this before August seeding. I think we just knuckle down and do the clearance manually...
  • After today im quite optimistic. Sam has clearly done some great work already and we probably dont want to undo this with the "machine". There is clearly a lot of stone, but if we can remove the worst with the raking effort, im sure we will get a good result.
    To me the stones were not huge and i would imagine, if we get good grass establishment and a good mat most will not be a problem.
    (just my opinion, certainly no grass expert)

TD
  • Firstly......my thanks to everyone who has helped rake and move the surface stones...we have done about 33% of the total area needed................

We need to complete this task BEFORE mid. to end July at the latest......August is the planned period for seeding the track and the grass seed is very expensive, so we need to do the best job possible to prepare the surface.

Anyone with the spare time Thursday evening( while go-ride is happening) Saturday or Sunday afternoons between 2.00 to 5.00pm PLEASE bring a rake and bucket to do a bit towards the de-stoning.

We aren't hiring a machine, even if we had the money, because the surface disruption, re-spraying, re-levelling and rolling required to bring the surface back would be too demanding and given the time frame impractical.

Therefore we must just get on with the manual task. Many hands make light work so do please try and find the time to help us prepare the area.

Here's hoping to see you all there this weekend.

for those who don't know the location...Go to Ashwell recreation ground..turn RIGHT on Station Road at the war memorial......It is a gravel lane on the left hand side just past the last house in the village BEFORE the road narrowing traffic control section..............our field is on the left PAST the ashwell Academicals football pitches and the allotments..........drive in the gate and up to the top of the field.

I will be there by 3.00pm this Saturday as I have a morning meeting in London finishing 1pm

Geoff
  • This map might help;

null
  • brill Martin...thanks
  • I can't get there today Geoff and I'm taking Ed to Brentwood grass track tomorrow.
    I'm planning to go Tuesday eve with Gavin though and I'll fit some sessions in after that!

Great pic. You can see the oval on the recreation ground!
  • I do hope we have a goodly turnout today......cancelled my meeting to be there with trailer for stones to save everyone all that walking with buckets...also have some spare rakes of the sort I was using...first come first served.......
  • thanks to Daniel and Theo D..Ian and Steve M for help Saturday...Stewart W for help Sunday..... for those who didn't come...was it worth sitting in to watch England lose 4-1 when you could have been de-stoning the track????
    any help would be welcome..even short stints...remember that when it comes to using the track it would be good to know that EVERY user has had a hand in helping to create the riding surface..don't just leave it to a few stalwarts to do all the work...think how guilty you'll feel riding on a surface others made for you
    every Saturday and Sunday afternoon from 2-5pm between now and end of July.....I have spare rakes, and will have my tipper trailer there to save walking stones to the pile....about 40% done now.....Tuesday and Thursday evenings also if you are waiting for your kids to finish riding...never let an opportunity slip you by

so all hands to the rakes please Saturday 3rd......Club 100 mile Geoff Denny ride on Sunday 4th so I won't be there that day......Biggleswade grass track on 10th July so most youth parents and riders will be there......I will leave my trailer there though for anyone to tip stones into should they be available those days......Sunday 11th I will be available again....
  • Getting our excuses in ... we'd planned to come along on Saturday with the boys but ended up spending most of the afternoon in Tesco's car park after the car battery went flat! We couldn't find anyone with jump leads and it was 2 hours before the RAC arrived.

We can't make next weekend (school family fun-day on Saturday pm & then a tennis fundraiser on Sunday). Will try to make it the following weekend.
  • thanks Lindsey