Welcome to the forum

Grass track club champs Mon 19th July

Adult Grass track club champs are planned for Mon 19th with a prompt 7pm start. Please put your name down below if you are taking part, open to both men and women 1st claim paid up members.

2 lap sprint
Flying lap
Devil
Reverse win and out

Would welcome any volunteers who can help with judging.

Comments

• Count me in :)
  • Dan H
    Richard L
    Martin L

Nice programme. Am up for a drink in the field after if the weather OK.
  • Is there a Masters category 40+? And Super Masters 50+??

And Juniors and Youths?

To discuss at the picnic maybe.
  • The day after the IC-25. Nice! :awesome:
    I'm in.
  • Me and Ellie will help with judging / cheering if that helps?
  • Yes please Mitchy, that would be great
  • Dan H
    Richard L
    Martin L
    Dave H
    Brendan
    Iain F
  • edited July 2021
    To answer Martin's question for anyone following the post we will run a vets and supervets competion.

The youth and junior event will be run on another day, actual date TBC.
  • I can ride, thanks v much !
  • Dan H
    Richard L
    Martin L
    Dave H
    Brendan
    Iain F
    Chris L
  • We are away I’m afraid, but I hope you all have a fab evening!
  • Dan H
    Richard L
    Martin L
    Dave H
    Brendan
    Iain F
    Chris L
    Daniel D
  • I’m up for it and Ella and jane
  • Added but no Ella im afraid as this is seniors and vets only, youth and junior will get their own event - date TBC.
  • edited July 2021
    Dan H
    Richard L
    Martin L
    Dave H
    Brendan
    Iain F
    Chris L
    Daniel D
    Vince F
    Jane F
    Sam D
    Stuart A
    Suzie A
  • Hi Dan, my wife Suzie is also taking part.
  • Race program

Mens sprint heat 1
    Mens sprint heat 2.
    Womens sprint final
    Mens reps
    Womens 4 lap scratch
    Men's minor sprint final
    Men's sprint final
    Womens keirin
    Mens 5k
    Women flying lap
    Men's flying lap
    Short break depending on light
    Mens Devil
    Womens longest lap
    Men's reverse win and out

A lot to get through so we need to start at 7pm, maybe earlier if everyone is there. We won't be able to wait for anyone running late.

Spectators are welcome and we will stick around after racing for a few beers and a social.
  • Thanks Dan, the programme looks brilliant. Claire Lynn and (hopefully) Carina Quayle will also be taking part. See you all on Monday!
  • Jane F
    Suzie A
    Carina Q
    Claire L
    Dan H
    Richard L
    Martin L
    Dave H
    Brendan
    Iain F
    Chris L
    Daniel D
    Vince F
    Sam D
    Stuart A
  • Hi Dan. What you reckon we discuss the Reverse Win and Out laps/points now - to save half an hour on the evening?
  • edited July 2021
    Haha, good point Martin! So my thinking is if we have 11 racers we will go with a 9 lap race, with 5 laps to go the bell rings and whoever then crosses the line after completing the bell lap gets 5th and they pull out of the race, the bell will then ring every lap for 4th, 3rd, 2nd with the first person across the line on each bell lap pulling out. On the final lap there should be 7 racers left, the first person across the line takes 1st place, the 2nd person comes 6th, 3rd comes 7th and so on.

If we have more/less than 11 I may tweak the format but hopefully this gives a rough idea on how the race works.
  • As a no-bike-newbie any objections to me using bike 29 (white with flashy pink wheels!).
  • edited July 2021
    Sorry this is so late - here are the results from this years grass track club champs... Please add some photos if you have any.

We had perfect conditions for the 2021 grass track club champs event on Monday evening. This year we had a change in format with a separate women’s event. In total 12 riders, 8 men and 4 women.
    We started with the Men’s 2 lap sprint race, In heat 1 Iain comfortably took 1st place and Martin did what was needed to come 2nd. In the 2nd heat I took 1st place with a surprised Dave H in 2nd, Chris L still getting to grips with the turn to finish straight in what was his only 2nd time on the Ashwell track. We then handed over to the first Women’s event of the night, a 2 lap sprint with Suzie taking the honours, Claire in 2nd, Jane in 3rd and Carina 4th
    The men’s minor final was next and with a bit more confidence in the corner Chris took 1st place followed by Daniel, Richard and then Stuart who was taking part in his first grass track event.
    It was the major final next, Iain was away very quickly, I tried to close the gap but couldn’t get his wheel, but it was enough of an effort to secure 2nd, Martin came 3rd with Dave 4th.
    Next event up was the women’s 4 lap scratch, 1st place this time was taken by Claire with Suzie coming in 2nd, Carina moved up to 3rd with Jane finishing in 4th.
    Men’s 5k next, I knew I had to stick with Martin and didn’t want to miss any breaks so took to the front for a few laps, Chris lit it up in an attempt to split the field but 6 of us stuck with it. It then slowed down a bit with the occasional attack from Martin, but the bunch was not letting anyone get away. It all blew up again on the final lap, I was hanging on at this point and Martin and Iain had got away, Chris made a good comeback and got third, I managed to keep Dave behind me to secure 4th, Dave 5th, Daniel in 6th, Stuart in 7th and Richard in 8th
    After a short break we started our flying laps for men and women, quite a few PB’s tonight, highlights were Richard who went incredibly wide on the final bend but still smashed his PB, Chris was a bit too hot into the bend and ended up in the long grass but despite this still recorded a great time. Iain was on great form and totally smashed the field:
    Claire 39.53 PB
    Suzie 40.25 PB
    Jane 44.00 PB
    Carina 44.34 PB
    Iain 26.69 PB?
    Dan H 29.54 PB
    Martin 31.08 PB
    Richard 31.77 PB
    Dave 31.93 PB
    Daniel 33.46 PB
    Chris 33.95 PB
    Stuart 34.43 PB
    Another short break before we started the Women’s Keirin, Pete led the 4 women out before peeling off as they sprinted to the line. Suzie took 1st, Carina pipping Claire to take 2nd and Jane finished in 4th
    Men’s Devil next and Dave took the lead, but I put in a big effort to get the inside line and try to control the race, I sat on the front for a few laps before Iain powered past. Difficult to tell what was going on behind me but Richard went out first followed by Stuart then Dave H who was boxed in. Daniel went next and then the pace was really picked up, I burnt a match to get 3rd and eliminate Chris but couldn’t go again so watched Iain and Martin disappear, Iain holding off Martin in what was a very close and exciting finish.
    It was back to the Women for the longest lap, a new race for many of the Women but they showed great control unfortunately I don’t have the results from this race, but it didn’t count towards the Omnium.
    The final race for the night was the Men’s Reverse win and out. I played it safe and went for 4th, Dave with 3rd, with Martin, Chris and Iain on the front someone was going to miss out as there was only 2 top places left. Iain continued his great form and took another win with Martin coming off for second and Chris having to settle for 5th. Daniel, Richard and Stuart took the remaining 3 places.

Overall results:
    2021 Womens club champ : Suzie
    2nd place and only 1 point behind was Claire
    3rd place went to Carina
    4th place and just one point behind was Jane

2021 Mens club champ with a clean sweep in all 5 events: Iain
    2nd place Martin
    3rd place Dan H
    4th place Dave H
    5th place and just a point behind was Chris L
    6th place Daniel D
    7th place Richard
    8th place Stuart

Thanks to Pete and Mitchy for judging and to Jenny for pulling the womens program together.
  • Great write-up Dan! Thanks. All Ashwell riders would love adding grass track riding to their summer bike time. I hope we can see more ladies, gentleman and youth at the 2022 champs.

Some pics from the night here...

imagehttps://i.imgur.com/Tktn7i2.jpg

imagehttps://i.imgur.com/QSW3FWs.jpg

imagehttps://i.imgur.com/37FApbc.jpg

imagehttps://i.imgur.com/6NPkuK5.jpg

imagehttps://i.imgur.com/Yc3fPje.jpg

Fancy finding out more? Pop down to the grass track, any summer Monday 6.30 til about 8pm or so.