Welcome to the forum

Chaingang - Tues 27 July 2021, 7pm

See you Ashwell, setting off 7pm. Let's try and get the numbers up - 'av it!

Standard chaino info...

If you want in on the 2021 Ashwell Chaingang WhatsApp group for the very latest updates on the evening: text me. Martin 07977652247

7pm - Depart Ashwell, Three Tuns at easy pace.
7.05pm - Meet up with those waiting at Steeple Morden pub/church and begin the chaingang. Let's have a quick discussion on groups here if need be before setting off. Most people aim for two laps.

We will probably be two groups if turnout is high. 'Group 2' more inclusive at around 22mph average which is basically the same as doing the Club 10 TT in 30 minutes. If you're able to do that: you're fine, as the aero/energy benefits of drafting will help. Group 2 should let the other group go first by a minute or so - to avoid the chances of overlapping on the course.

1. We rotate the chain anti-clockwise all the way.

2. If there's less than 4, it's probably better making it a TTT instead of a chain.

3. All welcome. CCA members or not.

4. Feeling the burn? Before you blow up, sit out your place in the chain and simply hang on at the back saying 'Last!' so the gang knows to miss you out. Enjoy the free speed from the group draft effect for as long as you like, recover and rejoin the chain with clear communication once you have your breath back.

5. Aim for smoothness: the fast line is only fractionally faster (1mph) than the resting line, don't spring out of corners, don't overlap wheels, be super alert at all times and call out every hazard and manoeuvre.

6. "What if I get dropped?"… It can happen to anyone and that's fine: you are still officially bad-ass for turning up and doing it. Ease back or turn around and latch on the next lap, or solo TT to continue the effort . Come back next week and see if you can hold on for longer.

7. The 9-mile lap:
https://www.bikemap.net/en/r/996158/

Comments

• I'm planning to join tonight if I can't get back from work in time. I'll probably wait for you in bassingbourn (the belle) pub.
  • Cheers Martin - mental pace and I took 2 and a half minutes off my previous time.
  • 8 out. Me. Salvo. Matt Y. David M. Adam L. John G. Vincent P. Geoff E. Started raining hard before we started. But was warm. Meant we took it steady on corners. Whittled down eventually. Before I knew it I was the lettuce in a 4 rider wattage sandwich with Salvo, Adam and Matt in full beast mode. Sprint for the sign? Fahgeddaboudit. I watched from the back as Salvo pipped Matt. Tougher than a race. Hard as. A brilliant workout. Vince and John just off the back in a 2-up. They’ll hold in next time just fine. Lap 1 24.7mph. Lap 2 24.4mph. A shame we couldn’t muster a Group 2 tonight. Next time.

Geoff... Good to see you getting stuck in. I'm glad you felt it was a difficult pace too! Good effort training for the upcoming Ashwell CX races. It might be confidence: but if you get lower on the bike and get much, much closer to the back of the group you will recover more effectively and more likely rejoin as the group's initial explosive power ebbs away over time and things settle, a bit.
  • Yes, good advice, I did think about that but will make it a priority next time!