Welcome to the forum

Club 25 results

edited June 2010 in Time Trial
A warm dry but fairly windy day, 15 riders and a good competition with most going quicker than they expected.

Tim Skelding 1.05.32 (lost 2-3 mins with a mechanical)
Tim Hector 1.05.37
Jon Sunderland 1.06.42
Strappy 1.08.50
Stef Dixon 1.08.53
Phil Keen 1.09.30
Darren Carter 1.10.22
Martin Lawless 1.10 .31
Mark Horton 1.10 .48
Peter Green 1.12.09
Tim Giles 1.12.15
Vic Brown 1.14.20
Geoff Russell 1.14.21
John Riddett 1.16.21
Jason Stuart DNF (leaking valve)

Therefore Skelders is officially the CCA 25 mile Champ, well done! Skelders managed to pull his wheel over at the start and had to stop and sort it out, doh! Still managed the win, just, by 5 seconds from Tim Hector who put in a great ride in the "old Skool" manner.

Well done to all and many thanks for turning out and having a go. Also thanks to Marks dad for marshalling.

Comments

• Thanks for organising Tim.

Have to say I cycled home with a smile on my face. Last time I did a 25 was 10 or so years ago on the A1 and I did a 1:12 something. All without the aid of tt bars/disc wheels/super stiff frame/safety net.

If I could only lose some more weight (not for want of trying) I might be a bit more competitive.

Sorry couldn't join you all at the pub afterwards, family duties called.

Maybe see you all Wednesday if work doesn't get in the way again.

Darren
  • Tim
    last time when i done my first tt our 20 miler you said i would go faster with out my mudgaurds on you were right.if skelders lends me his p4
    i might be in with a chance of winning,(not).
    Anyway just to say cheers for all who organized the event i enjoyed it in a painfull sort of way,well pleased with my time much better than than i hoped
    for,i too had smile like a cheshire cat.
    I am away for 2 weeks on my hols to florida next friday subject to ash clouds / b.a.strikes /& oil slicks on the beaches/see you all later.
    strappy.
  • Cheers Tim - a great success.
    Cheers Mark's dad for getting us around that corner at top speed.
    Almost everyone 20+ mph - so a bit of a result all round.
    Well done Skelders - must have helped having those extra cider-based carbs last night eh?
    The stand-out time here for me is Strappy: a great result there.
  • great fun, definately one to repeat. thanks tim, and john for marshalling.

strappy - in the 20 tt back in march i started behind you, overtook you on northfields on the 2nd lap and finished something like 1 min 20 ahead of you. this time you beat me! (by 3 seconds..). and i'm delighted with my time. more than the mudgurads, that was a great ride, well done. though dont think i'll forget about the 3 seconds... enjoy florida
  • Thanks to Tim D, for organising a great sporting mornings cycling and the great flag man at Wendy, most of the field getting round the turn at full tilt.

Congratulations Skelders, I should have loosened your rear wheel as well ha-ha

I think that was the 1st 25 for most of the field, so PB’s all round!

Great fun :-)
  • edited June 2010
    Thanks Tim for organising, and John H for 'that' corner.

I can't tell you how gutted i was was when first Mark H went flying past on his new Specialized and then Phil K while I was trying to re-align my rear wheel!! so I am well chuffed at the final result, I just can't feel my legs at the moment!!!!!

Great course, great turn out and great weather!! Thanks also to Carmelo for his words of encouragement on the final lap!! 8-) - even if I did think you were a competitor drafting me ;-)
  • edited June 2010
    Well done to Tim et all!......just a thought..below is a link to Hitchin Nomads middlemarkers 25 which is on the F1 (the A1) on 1st august....this is a chance to have a go at a fast course ..these can be hard to get in to without a fast qualifying time but the closing time for this is 1 0' 0" (hence the 'middlemarkers' moniker),
    meaning you have to have ridden that or slower to get in so most would get a chance and quite a few could get under the hour from what I saw today!..just a thought...

http://www.rttc.org.uk/?&ge514__geka=0qr-ktkYrcYzPU7-JC7bf4TEQVysEdko9FNyoET_y_WNrlzy1ECJiBHZ_uNu5SJQTHe_UK1-umOA_UV7cQCf8ieVrpTSVTnBYLCx_Q4eFkZaAE_dUoql6L2_wh2Xbn6T9yKAogCTb5X4o6sYQh8_wg&ge514__gevi=jeNPdvdNFGswwNAD3BBiaw&gv850__gvac=2&gv850__gvff0=21711&gv850__gvfl0=0&tabid=361
  • sounds like a great event guys...well done to everyone.just a thought Carmelo.....the A1 is fast admittedly...but bl**dy dangerous.....even if fit enough you wouldn't get me to ride that course given the volume and behaviour of traffic down here.......
  • Geoff, personally i never liked the dual carriage way type of time trial and i never felt entirely comfortable from a safety point of view, however there are plenty of people who think its safer than country lane courses and i think there is a fair bit of evidence to back this up.
    Im not sure if there some info. on this on the CTT website, but certainly the CTT work closely with the police and whilst some courses have been lost, im sure that the police would not allow races on courses that have had repeated accidents.
    I think most accidents have been at points where slip roads leave and enter the carriageway, and a lot of courses are chosen to limit these.

Anyway, if you enjoyed the sensation of bombing down the Guilden to Wendy road at 30 mph then Carmelo`s suggestion is a great one and you will probably go a good 5 or 6 minutes quicker than sunday.
    As geoff points out it is somewhat different though to sporting courses...more dangerous? im not really sure.

TD
  • Quite a few people seem to think cycling on the A1 is dangerous. I regularly drive up and down the A1 up as far as Ferrybridge and TTs are a common midweek sight further up but they tend to be point to point from what I have seen.

I've done 2 or 3 TTs on A1 courses about 10 years ago and the most dangerous things I've seen tend to be cyclists trying to eke out those extra few seconds by just going straight out onto roundabouts and expecting drivers to compensate. For the sake of a few seconds I'll observe the highway code. While marshalling at one event I also had to do a traffic count, bearing in mind this was 6 to 7:30 in the morning, I only counted 18 cars in one direction, hardly busy.

I also hail from Bracknell, Berkshire and traffic there seemed busier 10 years ago than it does around here now so my view might be warped. I've also suffered many more near misses around here than I did then, all at junctions.

If anyone is interested, Hitchin Nomads are holding 3 10s on the A1 starting this and continuing for the next 2 Thursdays at 8pm. I don't know where signing on is but I suspect it will be at Tempsford. The course starts south of the Tempsford flyover, over the Sandy roundabout and turns at the Biggleswade Sainsbury roundabout.

I suspect it's a fast course as it's pan flat but the 2 roundabouts are likely to slow you down. But the odd lorry coming past at 50 or 60 is worth an extra half mph at least for a hundred yards or so.

Depending on work commitments i might give it a go.

Darren
  • happy to stand corrected guys........it will be faster and ultimately it is up to each individual.......whatever your decisions...happy cycling............once again...the level of fitness is growing and augurs well for CCA racing ........there's enough of you fit guys now to start thinking this way
  • So, who's going to break that hour next time?
  • Thanks Tim for organising; starting to get the hang of these TTs now, perhaps I will speed up by the end of the season - but there again probably not. Still I enjoyed it as it is this true sport for sports sake that I much prefer over all the high entry fees, razzamtazz, tee shirts, gongs and goody bags events. thanks when is the next one.
  • totally understand..I was on the E2 which is A14 ans A11 on Saturday afternoon and whilst fast there were some worrying moments..what I would say though is that this event is on a Sunday and starts at 06.30 in the morning and will all be over by 09.30 which is before real traffic builds up..presumably this is why the police allow the event....the reason for suggesting it was to give guys a chance to experience a faster course and then appreciate the differences of our time trial courses so as not to get discouraged when they read of fast times in Cycling etc....as I said it was just a thought....