Welcome to the forum

3rd Annual CCA Geoff Denny 100 mile club ride, 4th July 2010

edited June 2010 in General
On behalf of Bob...

Sunday 4th July [yee-haw!] at 8.30am - the 3rd Annual Geoff Denny Memorial 100 mile Classic. A great circular route led by Bob and made up from Geoff's favourite rides.

A stop about halfway [Elmdon?], and the route is easy to peel off back to Ashwell at any time. Steady club average speed likely 14-15mph.

All welcome.

Route here.

Comments

• count me and the old man in!!you bring the riders i'll bring the spoon! GAME ON!!
  • Just getting this to the top. For the last two year's this ride has probably seen the biggest club turn out - it would be nice to repeat that again.

As Bob doesn't read the forum: can someone remind him - just in case! 8.30am, 4th July. Two Sunday's time.
  • Bob knows Martin...thanks though....I am riding this one so we need a broomwagon in case of multiple punctures perhaps?? 9 on the Hatfield Forest run.....even that day turned out nice in the end....
  • my wife has "volunteered" (!) to drive to the lunch stop (elmdon?) with water/bananas/apples etc if it helps. not a broomwagon.. she wont follow us round and fix punctures... but means we dont have to worry about finding water etc
  • hi all,

that wes going to be my question (stef's post) will she be at the start so we can put our lunch supplies in to be retrieved at elmdon?

cheers stu
  • brilliant Stef. many thanks to your wife....I'll bring along tubes so we can replenish stocks at Elmdon if we need to......
  • edited June 2010
    yes stuart agree makes sense that she has car at the start so people can leave their lunch supplies (no picnic hampers please!)
    and yes geoff will stick in a track pump and if you can bring some spare tubes that would be great
    oh boy am i flavour of the month for talking her into this one!
  • Sorry guy,s
    I will miss this one this year as i will just be touching down at gatwick at the time you roll out.
    Hope you all have a good ride,i will try & get a few quick miles in when i get home around lunchtime.
    Its still hot every day around 95 & very humid even so cant wait to get back on the bike.
    All the best to all.
    strappy.
  • Just a final reminder: the Geoff Denny 100 is THIS Sunday, 8.30am, at the cemetery car park.

Bring your lunchables to the start and Stef's wife will kindly take to Elmdon.

Weather forecast is very good. Quite a strong headwind for the second half - maybe some of this Autumn's Belgium workhorses can get some practice in?

Have a great ride.
  • yes car will be at the start, so if you want to bring any lunch you can stick it in the car. will also have track pump and geoff bringing some spare tubes.

car will meet us at elmdon on the green for lunch stop. will provide water, bananas, apples at the lunch stop.

should be a great ride, looking forward to it.
  • sadly Bob cannot make it....I have the maps he made for people so's they don't get lost.....I will bring tubes, maps and track pump for car........i was looking forward to testing my knee and joining you...however, I have the youth ride at 9am to take...I therefore won't be riding this 100......have a good one and see you all next week...I look forward to the forum reports to come
  • 15 set-out on the 3rd geoff denny 100 mile ride, and we still had 10 left at the lunch stop. slightly lower numbers than anticipated so the 30 litres of water in the support car turned out to be quite sufficient and the dixon family will be eating banana's and apples (but not watermelon) for the foreseeable future!

1st section of the ride is pretty flat and takes in sections from a lot of familiar club rides, two bridges in reverse, the primavera circuit, gamlingay, caxton, and on to haslingfield and harston. despite the blustery wind we made very good time and the peloton discipline was exemplary too. around haslingfield we were averaging 17.5 i think and about 40 miles in. lost 5 riders here who didnt want to do the full 100, tim d (first ride on a stunning rebuild, fully retro down to the shoes and cap), mark and stevie, john r, and dave.

on to fowlmere and up the hill to elmdon for a lunch stop at 55 miles. lost one more after lunch ken (carbon) who headed back. from here on the route got a bit lumpy and the legs tired somewhat from the brisk start. it was also now very windy... though could not detract from the stunning weather and beauty of 9 riders rotating in perfect harmony like a well oiled machine... well ok in practice the discipline wasnt quite as good as in the first half but hey, i calmed down eventually!

the garmin satnav held up pretty well though had a few late calls of direction, and a st trinians moment in manuden with groups going in opposite directions on the high street several times before sorting it out. mark c showed his chivalrous side, when he helped a lady cyclist who panicked (or swooned maybe) at the sight of us coming uphill towards her, and applied the brake sharply... just the front one unfortunately, the rear of the bike bucking like a rodeo pony and sending her tumbling into the ditch, anyway she was fine so no drama. other than that we had one chain off and just one puncture plus a spectacular explosion on trying to inflate the new tube with a co2 cannister.
    we also had a few grumpy motorists (maybe because they were stuck in their horrible smelly cars on a hot day?), most notably in ashwell itself at the end of the ride, a gentleman who claimed he had a book saying that cyclists must ride single file.. scouse chris put him right.

in the closing miles we agreed no sprint as we came down from redhill to the a505, but you could tell no one really meant it. a mad dash resulted in a win for mark c and some very tired legs elsewhere. we then all finished pretty much together, and the perfect end to the ride was bumping into martin and gina and meeting new arrival gabriel who was asleep like most of us wanted to be by then. 6 of the nine then went to the three tuns for a well earned pint. for the record the nine that completed the 100 were pete, mark c, chris (scouse), paul (2nd claim, derby), paul (cca), stuart (newmarket), chris (newmarket), mick and me (apologies if ive got that wrong...)

final ride stats, 101.3 miles at 16.5 mph, 4400 feet of climbing. if ive missed anything sure others will fill in.
    a great ride and hopefully a fitting celebration of geoff denny's life, not that i ever had the chance to meet him.
  • I'd just like to put on record my sincere gratitude to Stef and his wife Jane for their efforts and for orchestrating a smooth lunch stop whereby not only our own personal lunches were waiting for us at Elmdon but also was provided some excellent fare gratis. I think the cold watermelon slices were a stroke of genius along with ample water, fruit, crisps and biscuits. Thanks a million.
    As a footnote, I'm pleased to report that I endured that sodding headwind all the way home.
    Thanks again, (tired of Letchworth).
  • thanks Pete, did think of you cycling back to make it something like 115 miles i guess, as i drove home from ashwell (drove rather than cycled.. for the first time ever, and it was a good day to do it..)
  • nice one steff. a great day and thanks to jane for the very welcome picnic stop. i think there may well be melon trees/plants growing in that lay-by one day after all the pips we left there!
    we should all chip a quid or so next wed as a show of thanks eh for the food and drink provided without which i would not have made it!?

i think tribute should be paid to the brave souls who went the extra mile and forced themselves to get a pint of the amber nectar down their neck at the tuns at the end!!
  • stef, i think you are underplaying the 'mark c showed his chivalrous side, when he helped a lady cyclist who panicked (or swooned maybe) at the sight of us coming uphill towards her, and applied the brake sharply...etc. what really happened was when he saw her go over it was more like a cav sprint for the line!! you dirty ol' dog chris!!!

great ride by the way.
    see you all soon.

stu