Welcome to the forum

Gear shift problem solved

edited June 2010 in General
shimano gear cable. Frayed at lever end.

May be of interest to others with poor shifting, ghost shifts that comes and goes after adjustment etc.
I could adjust rear derailleur to work perfectly, but was starting to shift poorly after 10 miles of riding very annoying. Initially I suspected the jockey wheel as there was a lot of float in it. Off to Trisports for a new jockey wheel. I was told the float is a design feature (not wear) of the gear shift, it over shifts a bit when you change gear, the float allows this to happen efficiently.
Decided to buy outer and gear cable. If you disconnect the gear cable from the derailleur you can check the friction in the system if you hold one end of cable and shift at the same time. You are feeling for very light resistance. It was more that it should be. Stripped out cable to find only 3 strands left unbroken, snapped inside front shifter, I guess every 10 mile a strand was breaking and mucking up adjustment. (So 30 miles left b4 no gears). New outer and inner fitted quality shifting now resumed!

Comments

• edited June 2010
  • Tim,
    a lucky break. just as well you did the math before you ran out of cable.
    great esoteric photo. very meaningful to those in the know.