Welcome to the forum

Ashwell Chaingang - Tuesday 17th May, 7.15pm

Chaingang this evening. 20 out last week, in two groups - slightly faster, slightly slower.

Be there! Collect your brevet card and start collecting stamps today!

Hot and sunny one tonight. The hope is to be smooth and go for a third lap perhaps...

Standard, regular chaingang info be like…

If you want in on the 2022 Ashwell Chaingang WhatsApp group for the very latest updates on the evening: text me. Martin 07977652247

7.15pm - Depart Ashwell, Three Tuns at easy pace.
7.20pm - Meet up with those waiting at Steeple Morden pub/church and begin the chaingang. Most people aim for two laps.

We will probably be two groups if turnout is high. 'Group 2' more inclusive at around 22mph average which might seem high - but is very reasonable once you account for all the time you're saving power off the front of the chaingang. I'd guess 22mph in a chaingang is like 18mph solo in power. Group 2 should let the other group go first by a minute or so - to avoid the chances of overlapping on the course.

Each Ashwell chainganger should carry their Ashwell Chaingang Brevet Card. I'll have new ones to give out for first-timers. You get your card stamped at the start or end of each chaingang. Collect 8 stamps and you are entitled to a free officially bad-ass CC Ashwell Racing Team t-shirt.

1. Unless there's a call otherwise, we rotate the chain anti-clockwise all the way.

2. If there's less than 4, it's probably better making it a TTT instead of a chain.

3. All welcome. CCA members or not.

4. Feeling the burn? Before you blow up, sit out your place in the chain and simply hang on at the back saying 'Last!' so the gang knows to miss you out. Enjoy the power-saving group draft effect for as long as you like, recover and rejoin the chain with clear shout.

5. Aim for smoothness: the pace line is only fractionally faster (1mph) than the resting line, don't spring out of corners, don't overlap wheels, be super alert at all times and call out every hazard and manoeuvre.

6. Get close to the wheel in front of you. Close enough to benefit from being shielded from the front. Just remember not to get too close, never ever overlap your wheel with the rider in front, and aim to be a little to one side of the wheel in front and not directly behind a wheel so, if they brake suddenly, you have nowhere to go.

7. "What if I get dropped?"… It can happen to anyone and that's fine: you are still officially bad-ass for turning up and doing it. Ease back or turn around and latch on the next lap, or solo TT to continue the effort . Come back next week and see if you can hold on for longer.

8. The 9-mile lap:
https://www.bikemap.net/en/r/996158/