Welcome to the forum

Ashwell-Wells Classic, Friday 2nd Sept 2022

edited August 2022 in General
Hi all

Put your name in for this year's 123-mile ride to Wells-Next-The-Sea. We have a bit of a mission this year to help draft Mark W to save his energy as he takes this ride on as part of his 3-part charity challenge to raise money for the women's grass track in Africa.

The basics for those new to this ride...

This ride bookends the summer and it's a joy to ride along the flat and gently rolling lanes and go through the Holkham Estate to finish by the seaside. It's a long way - but Norfolk miles sail by. Especially if there's a good group of us to help share the work and lols.

We set off Friday 2nd September, 8.30am, Ashwell Three Tuns. Rhubarb & Mustard nearby will open for those wanting an early morning coffee from 8am. If turnout is high, we will set off in two groups.

We will have a pit-stop in Ely, next to the cathedral, after around 40 miles. We can leave Ely as one big group, as we then use mostly empty B-roads and farming lanes.

Lunch is in West Acre, after about 70 miles. Unfortunately, The Stag pub which was great, is now closed. Instead, we are going to The Apple Cafe in the West Acre Gardens. I have prearranged a spread of sandwiches, sausage rolls, tea and coffee. £10 a head will cover this. Let me know if you want to opt out.

Wells-Next-The-Sea - for fish and chips if you fancy - is around 95-miles. We then ride to King's Lynn to get the train back. Depending on turnout, we may have to stagger ourselves on the trains back. Good train times to note: 17:40, 18:44, 19:40, 20:44, 21:44, 22:44. All trains will require a change at Cambridge. Buy tickets in groups of four for a bit of a discount. The journey takes approx 1hr 40mins (to Ashwell station). Bring front and rear lights.

For those under no pressure to get back, settle in at the Fenman Pub opposite King's Lynn train station, and the team there will lay on a buffet. CCA will cover the cost of the buffet. Fill your pockets with mini Scotch eggs.

Everyone completing the ride gets a special edition badge.

Please make yourself self-sufficient. There are many options to bail out early, or do a shortened version of the ride, if required. Make sure your bike and tyres are in good condition. If you're not confident on the distance, don't be a hero on the front, and ask everyone to take it easy if the pace feels too high. It's not a race.

Here's the full route:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28509468

Comments

• I am in.
  • Good news! The lovely Apple Cafe in the West Acre Gardens welcome us for our lunch stop, just after West Acre (70 miles), probably around 2pm. They will prepare a long table for us, with a range of sandwiches, sausage rolls, cakes and pots of tea and coffee. We will need to park our bikes in their bike park. We might want a lock or two.

To keep things simple, I'll suggest everyone puts in £10 per head for this. Let me know if you want to opt out. That's no problem.

• I am in. £10. fine rob
  • Martin L
    Martin H
    Robert B
  • Day off taken 👍
  • I'm in Martin, cash on the day or bank transfer to you?
  • I’d like to join in if I may? Not done this since 2017!
  • Mark W
    Martin L
    Martin H
    Robert B
    Toma
    Dan H
    Stiggers
    MC

Probably easiest if I cover the lunch cost, and give me a tenner on the day. Cash or transfer is fine.
  • Day booked off. looking forward to this.
  • Mark W
    Martin L
    Martin H
    Robert B
    Toma
    Dan H
    Stiggers
    MC
    Nat
    Graham

Rhubarb & Mustard will be open from 8am especially for us - serving coffees and tea. Support Charlotte & Sarah and their local Ashwell business.
  • I've requested the day off so I can attend!
  • Hi Martin, please add me too. Thanks Adrian
  • Mark W
    Martin L
    Martin H
    Robert B
    Toma
    Dan H
    Stiggers
    MC
    Nat
    Graham
    Alistair
    Ade
  • edited August 2022
    Ah, earlier than was expecting. Off to coast for last drips of summer hols with kids.

Enjoy.
  • Off on hols that week, but will pop back a day earlier......The Fenman buffet is too good to miss....!
  • Me too please!
  • Mark W
    Martin L
    Martin H
    Robert B
    Toma
    Dan H
    Stiggers
    MC
    Nat
    Graham
    Alistair
    Ade
    Paul S
    Matt Palmer
  • Can you add me to the list please.
  • Mark W
    Martin L
    Martin H
    Robert B
    Toma
    Dan H
    Stiggers
    MC
    Nat
    Graham
    Alistair
    Ade
    Paul S
    Matt Palmer
    Steve D
  • Martin. I'm on call that evening so need to be back in Royston area for 5. Will head out with you guys, maybe to Ely or slightly further then head back via Newmarket. Cheers jason
  • edited August 2022
    Add me please!
    And Paul B.
    Thanks for organising Martin.
  • edited August 2022
    Mark W
    Martin L
    Martin H
    Robert B
    Toma
    Dan H
    Stiggers
    MC
    Nat
    Graham A
    Alistair
    Ade
    Paul S
    Matt Palmer
    Steve D
    Jason
    Stef
    Paul B
  • edited August 2022
    I’ll be there….always “a grand day out”…
  • Mark W
    Martin L
    Martin H
    Robert B
    Toma
    Dan H
    Stiggers
    MC
    Nat
    Graham A
    Alistair
    Ade
    Paul S
    Matt Palmer
    Steve D
    Jason
    Stef
    Paul B
    Phil K
  • Hi Martin, I would like to join this famous ride! Looking forward to the lunch at West Acre. Thanks for organising this all. Daniel
  • edited August 2022
    All welcome. Members or not. Ride all or some of the way. Bring lights. The basics:

8am Coffee at Rhubarb & Mustard

8.30am Grand depart from Ashwell Three Tuns

11am approx. Coffee/snack at Ely Cathedral

1.30pm approx. Lunch. Sandwiches at Apple Cafe, West Acre. £10 per head. Let me know if you want to opt out: no problem.

3.30pm approx. Wells-Next-The-Sea.

6pm approx. Kings Lynn train station and/or The Fenman pub for buffet.

Mark W
    Martin L
    Martin H
    Robert B
    Toma
    Dan H
    Stiggers
    MC
    Nat
    Graham A
    Alistair
    Ade
    Paul S
    Matt Palmer
    Steve D
    Jason
    Stef
    Paul B
    Phil K
    Daniel D
  • Thanks Martin, I'd like to ride please.
  • We are definitely riding as two groups to Ely. Thereafter, the traffic melts away and we can be one big lump. Ride single file on the A1198 early on from Arrington, as we will meet the tail end of 'rush hour'/school traffic then.

Mark W
    Martin L
    Martin H
    Robert B
    Toma
    Dan H
    Stiggers
    MC
    Nat
    Graham A
    Alistair
    Ade
    Paul S
    Matt Palmer
    Steve D
    Jason
    Stef
    Paul B
    Phil K
    Daniel D
    Chris L
  • Martin, I’d like to join the ride (first time on the Wells ride), thanks Paul H