Welcome to the forum

Safe cycleway survey

If you have 5 mins free please can you take part in the survey...

Safe cycleway & footpath to Ashwell & Morden Station – YOUR SUPPORT COUNTS !!

Did you know that Ashwell & Morden station is unique – it’s the only station on the Cambridge to London line that most people can’t readily access by footpath! Only the bravest ever walk or cycle there, because of unsighted bends and traffic danger…. and you’ve probably heard near-miss stories.

That’s why for decades we’ve been lobbying County & District Councils and local landowners for a safe route to encourage cyclists and pedestrians – for work, for school, for recreation, for visitors & tourists, and for the future (e-bikes / e-scooters). Good for health and good for the planet too!

But we urgently need your voice to make more progress with the Councils on this long-held ambition. The more responses, the better our chances. Please demonstrate your support by 7 November, by:

- completing the Survey at

www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/LCWIP-NorthHerts

please focus comments relevant to the Ashwell & Morden Station route in Q4, Q5 and Q6

- or, email NHDC.LCWIP@hertfordshire.gov.uk using subject ‘LCWIP Consultation – Ashwell & Morden Station route’

- or, attending a public meeting, Thursday 3 November, 3:15–7pm, at Baldock Community Centre.

The Ashwell & Morden Station access route has now been designated as a priority sustainable travel corridor in NHDC’s Local Cycling & Walking Infrastructure Plan (LCWIP), see formal report page 70, Section 6.5. This is a major step forward. Of course, our nearby towns (Letchworth, Baldock, Royston etc.) are prioritised in Phase 1 as their bigger populations mean bigger likely “active travel” take-up.

We are pleased that Ashwell & Morden is short-listed for Phase 2 investment. Plus, crucially, the Fordham Estate may offer an off-road route avoiding the dangerous blind double bend, in an upcoming redevelopment planning application for old farm buildings (Cheyneys Lodge) in South Cambridgeshire.

It feels like key parts of our ambition might be coming together. But NHDC need to know you really want this – so please give your voice of support so that the Station route is top of their action list. Here are some example reasons you might use in support:

1. I/my family are concerned about the current hazards of walking or cycling to the Station.

2. I/my family would really welcome a safe cycle and walking route to the Station.

3. A safe route will allow me/us to choose cheaper, healthier, sustainable travel to the Station.

4. A safe route to the Station means I/we will sometimes? often? be able to leave a car behind.

5. We need safe / cheaper / healthier alternatives to getting to the station by car:

- The number of people using the Station - work, school, recreation, visitors & tourists - continues to increase as our villages keep growing.

- Many parents of pupils & college students drive there twice a day, 5 times a week, for years.

- E-bikes / e-scooters / the popularity of cycling would be great alternatives, with a safe route.

- The Taxibus service has ceased, leading to yet more car journeys.

- The nearby road verges have become a substantial perpetual carpark.

6. Recent pavement renewal along Ashwell’s Station Road is very welcome. But it’s only part of the route, plus it’s not segregated from traffic. An off-road route via the bridleways could be better.

7. To hold “Sustainable Village” status, it’s vital Ashwell has “Sustainable Travel” options.

Please do complete the Survey if possible – it’s 10-15 minutes only. Alternatively the simplest way to express your support is to use the email above. If you are really keen, please do all three things !

For further information or advice please contact Ashwell Parish Council on 01462 743706, or email: clerk@ashwell.gov.uk