Welcome to the forum

Grass Track Naming Ceremony

Cycle Club Ashwell Grass Track Naming Ceremony Saturday 13thMay

We are naming our grass track field at Smallgains the Godschalk Grass Velodrome in honour of Geoff Godschalk.
Geoff Godschalk was the driving force behind starting up a CC Ashwell youth section. He was inspired by Max Pendleton’s idea of using grass track to introduce young riders to cycle sport. The first ever coaching session was held on the evening of Thursday 15th May 2008 on the recreation ground in Ashwell. Geoff then went on to secure us the use of the field at Smallgains and arrange its transformation into a training and racing venue.

We are hoping that Geoff will be able to join us for the event. Some of you in touch with him will know he has been ill lately but he is making an effort to be there.

We have booked Jez Cox of GCN/Discovery fame to do the commentary (if he doesn't get a better offer in the meantime).

We have a number of ex-members/youth graduates intending to come and watch or ride including National Sprint Coach Andrew Leveton, Theo Doncaster, Bryn Davies and the Woolsey brothers.

It would be great if as many as possible members could call in to watch the racing and the ceremony or just come and say hi to Geoff, Andy and the other alumni. The racing starts at 12 noon so perhaps the Saturday club run could call in after their ride.

Comments

• Thanks to Martin I can post again. For some reason my old geoffg and its history was no longer available. I'd just like to thank everyone involved for a wonderful event, brilliantly organised and staggeringly well attended and something to remember for ever. So nice to see so many young people I had coached all grown up and still friends. All the young talent up and coming and the many coaches. A special mention to max Pendleton who was there from the start as was Mark Wyer and Tim Duckett who couldn't make the day sadly. Vincent, Martin and all the new coaches who make the continuation possible. Thank you all. Such an honour.