Welcome to the forum

Whitewebbs St Georges Day Race Dunton 27th April

edited April 2008 in Road Racing
Run on the Ford Test track at Dunton (off the M25 on the way to Southend) this 3/4 closed circuit race was a little like racing at the MK bowl. The circuit has 2 straight with banked loops at either end, one being flat the other up a hill. The race was one hour 5 minutes plus 5 laps. This equated to 34 miles. Pace was fast with 32mph being reached up and down each straight into a fairly strong head wind. It was a 70+ field, and I was the only Ashwell rider at this event, so points were always going to be a stuggle. I moved fairly easily up & down the pack and went with 2 or 3 breaks that came to nothing ( except me on the front trying to loose the lead once we had been caught), and I helped chase down a few other 1 or 2 man breaks.
With 5 laps to go it was looking like the inevitable bunch sprint. On the last lap I managed to squeeze past riders up the hill and take 3rd place in the bunch. Unfortunately with 1/3 of a lap to go, around the last loop the legs of the leading riders started to fade and we were caught by the bunch, for the sprint down the finishing straight.
My best efforts brought me in about 20th- so no points for me (and 60 others)

The E/1/2 race started as I was collecting my licence and I counted 12 riders setting off for their 1hour 40 race, with points going to the top 15 riders. I think I should have gone for that one!!!!

Cheers Trahern