Welcome to the forum

edited July 2010 in Sportives
Greetings from France! For those of you who were not aware, myself and Stef signed up for the 18th

Comments

• PS - the Pro's do the stage on Thursday
  • Great to read your report Skelders, wish I'd been there too. Delighted you had a good time and, hell, you rode a fine time. A gauche!
    Daniel
  • Thanks Daniel, and thank you for your words of advice :-) and to Andy B & James for their suppor & encouragement.
  • scary Tim.........that's a really great effort and I know a few will be buckling at the knees when you return to show them how to climb.....chapeau and great write up...always amusing
  • Another Epic!!! enjoyed reading that..well done to you all..OUCH!!
  • Good one Tim but you weren't supposed to enjoy this and start flirting over afternoon drinks ( i bet it was Pimms really knowing you) on the slopes of a mythical climb!!!
  • had to be done James.... an English Rose, stranded she was.....
  • skelders/stef/paul.
    Wow !! what a great report you have posted,it is an inspiration to all in how to climb to the heavans on the tourmalet.
    I hope to do the same one day before i get to old,glad you made it all the way with no major mechanicals.

No girl can ignore your oakley's or is it your rapha shorts !! more details on your return.

all the best
    strappy.
  • Well done all Etappers - I'm Hushovd in envy.
  • Should fly on the TT now mate with that in ya legs...
  • Truely epic and a great write up; I've definitely got a serious case of altitude envy - well done guys. Should anyone organise such a biblical event next year, count me in.
  • ** JOKES ! **

Top poser;
    http://mysports.tv/default2.asp?e=LT10181K&n=Tim%20SKELDING&r=5569&nt_s1=00:00:00&ct_s1=13:04:49&nt_s2=&ct_s2=14:31:54&nt_s3=&ct_s3=16:30:57&nt_s4=&ct_s4=&nt_s5=&ct_s5=&nt_s6=&ct_s6=&nt_s7=&ct_s7=&nt_s8=&ct_s8=&nt_s9=&ct_s9=&nt_f=&ct_f=16:48:09&l=EN

Stef;
    http://mysports.tv/default2.asp?e=LT10181K&n=Stefan%20DIXON&r=4926&nt_s1=00:00:00&ct_s1=13:26:20&nt_s2=&ct_s2=14:54:40&nt_s3=&ct_s3=16:52:59&nt_s4=&ct_s4=&nt_s5=&ct_s5=&nt_s6=&ct_s6=&nt_s7=&ct_s7=&nt_s8=&ct_s8=&nt_s9=&ct_s9=&nt_f=&ct_f=17:10:11&l=EN
  • Daniel,

are you suggesting that at the sight of every photographer/video camera I would jump out of the saddle and put a dig in??? mois, playing to a camera? never!

Quick update on 'Skelders European Tour'. I arrived in Portugal to catch up with the family holiday. Bit run down from the
  • Pleased to hear you are still alive Tim. A salutary reminder on the dangers of the road.

One of the great features of the L’Etape du Tour is you can compare the TdF stage times with it. A certain A Schleck managed 5:03:29 on stage 17 whilst, nearly the last man, was M Cavendish. Notorious for his careful attention to his sunglasses and demon sprint, but note noted for his climbing ability; still he came in at only 5:35:15!!! Looking at L’Etape times J-C Currit tops the list at 5:59. Only a little scrolling down the page reveals another rider notorious for his careful attention to sunglasses, that’s right, our very own Skelders posting a very respectable time of 9:47.

It shows just how amazing these riders are, but it especially indicates how good you have to be to simply get over the mountains within the time limit whatever your discipline. Astonishing!
  • edited July 2010
    Well spotted Daniel,
    few other times for the record,
    Alain Prost a regular Etaper, 7:23, climbed the Tourmalet in 1:42
    Martin Corry, former England rugby captain, bumped into him twice at the start village, 9:29, Tourmalet 2:31.... so skelders and I both beat him up the Tourmalet...
    By the way the winner was depressingly a cat C like me, ie over 40. A former Pro apparently and regular etaper. The chap who came in second was a youngster probably
    looking for a pro contract... bet he was gutted. last years winner Dmitri Champion rode the Tour as a pro this year for ag2r.
    deserving a special mention is Magdalena de saint jean, the fastest woman by 20 mins at 6:30. and cat g so over 35 years old. noticed her name last year as well, think shes a regular.

Been refreshingly without internet access for past week in Pyrennees, but belatedly echo all Tim's comments above, amazing day, but definately the toughest Etape of the 3 I've done by a long way...
    After riding first 10 k's with Tim., I waited for Paul, who had a few chain problems, and we rode first half together. then was feeling good on the Soulor so we split up. Enjoyed the climb though blimey it was hot. Still felt good 2 k's from the top so "attacked" and enjoyed the feeling of climbing past people. Realised I'd overdone it on the descent when shoulders, back etc all locked up... met Jane, Claire and the kids in Argeles at the bottem so stopped for a few mins to get some cold winter. Afterwards they said I looked green...

Rode on up the dispiriting 20 km steady climb to the base of the Tourmalet, trying to mentally prepare myself for the 18 km climb. Really hot now. After a few km's got into the climb and started to "enjoy" it. Scenery was stunning. Support was excellent too. Witnessed riders requesting cold water poured on their feet, and one on his backside...sure that was a mistake. Had 4 or 5 shout outs of "Go Ashwell" or similiar which was brilliant.. really appreciated. Got to about 4 km's to go and aware that I was getting close to going over 10 hours, "attacked" again.. about the same spot Contador had a little go at Schleck. Worked a treat for a few km's and got some good shout outs as I cruised past people... then blew up with 2 km's to go and staggered home... the video cam at the finish shows me weaving around trying to pass people but simply not having the legs. Completely shatterd at the finish,.. fell against a rock wall and stayed there for a while. Another chap came up next to me looking worse than I felt. Thought to myself "he looks like a Brit", after a while he turned to me and said simply "f**king hell".. when we'd both got our composure back we discussed the attractions of 10 mile time trials and never going near another mountain again... The medics approached us to confirm we didnt need treatment... it was touch and go...
    final time a few seconds over 10 hours annoyling.. about 20 mins behind skelders who took the stage victory for cca riders comprehensively.. well done Tim. I have to mention though that according to the timing matts I did climb the Tourmalet a whole 44 seconds faster than Tim!

how do i know it was the toughest of the 3 etapes i've done.. ? well i've never been fitter and equally never been so knackered at the finish, more quantitively, i finished half an hour slower than last year (similiar distance) but was placed over 1200 places higher, and over 2000 places higher than 5 years ago. also loads more people were eliminated (over 3000) and it took the pro's a lot longer than last year too. finally i saw the pro's come over the tourmalet on thursday (more of that later) and they had the decency to look in real trouble too..

attempting to add some photos to prove Tim not the only one who can pose... altough he is the master of course!

null

null

hi-res

hi-res2

a fantastic event.. definately recommend it..
  • sorry they ended up a bit bigger than planned...
  • well done stef - great pictures!!!
  • Superb effort lads.

Stef - I've helped out on the pics resizing: I needed to see the full expression of pain neatly on my screen...
  • quality words Stef.... so on to next year :-)
  • thanks for resizing martin.
    its the quality of the cca kit that always comes across at these events too, and in the photos
    makes other riders kit look rubbish
  • edited August 2010
    image">

descending the Marie-Blanque

ascending the Soulor
  • Wow great pics chaps well done.....
  • Skelders / Stef, I know you will be looking for more hill training before next years etape, have a look at this - www.montventouxwebcam.com/about.html and click on the ventoux masters, should make a nice weekend before the event.