Welcome to the forum

Hoghill 29/07/10 Race Report

edited July 2010 in Road Racing
Not a complete disaster, but didn’t go as I’d hoped. Of about 30 riders in the race I finished last about half a lap down on the group.

All was going smoothly with 50 minutes of the hour gone. Feeling optimistic as people were noticeably labouring up the finishing hill I made it towards the front few of the group. And this was my down fall. People who know the course, know that in the anticlockwise direction just after the finish line there’s a sweeping down hill bend. Having been towards the back of the pack for the majority of the race this bend was taken a little slower. However at the front there’s a little more speed. I got it wrong/bottled it and ended up off roading it narrowly missing a wooden post. Managed to stay up right but by the time I’d rejoined the course, picked the weeds out my wheels and given the bike a quick on the move inspection the pack was long gone.

Plan to be there next week for the last round of the series, be nice to see a few friendly faces down there.

Comments

• Jon,
    Sounds like you actually did pretty well apart from that corner, well done. Was this your first road race? You learn so much and improve really quickly doing this sort of thing. hope a few more can join you.
  • Second, I did one of the hillingdon winter series. Had the same issues there, got the legs just not the cornering ability to hold my position. Makes for a hard race. But you only learn from doing them!

Just checked the official results I came second to last! Happy days.
  • The closed road ciruits are more technical than open road road races. make sure you get your diary sorted for next years Primavera, you will be absolutely fine in that.