Welcome to the forum

LONG DISTANCE TRIATHLON WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS 2010

edited August 2010 in Road Racing
Good to be back in the GB kit marching through the German Alpine town of Immenstadt with the Union Jack following an oompah band.
(Would have been embarrassing in the UK!) With a mass 4km swim start in the warm lake amongst 800 triathletes from around the world, I got off to a good start. I kept looking back to assess how I was doing and realised I was staying with the pack. That felt good. Got out the water with at least 200 behind me which is much better than Perth last year. Felt strong. Onto the bike. The profile said it all. It was hilly as you could expect in the Alps. After two climbs I realised only 2 or 3 riders had gone passed me but I had overtaken at least 30. Triathletes around the world are not used to severe climbing but long flatter courses. Riding my fixed wheel during winter certainly prepared my legs for this more than most of the others who were used to pushing a big gear on the flat for 5 hours in the sun. Most had chosen their time trial bikes but I had gone with the Madone. So descending from 2000m to 800m, building speed, I started to think that I was going to have a good day. Until the rim off my back wheel was grating the wall of the tyre on tarmac. I didn’t have light race tyres on but hardy Scwalbe Durano Plus for “maximum puncture protection”. Didn’t manage to come off at 45mph but gradually came to a halt. Took a few minutes to realise it was the end of my race. I got picked up by a marshal on a Harley, holding my bike behind me got dropped off at the next aid station 10m down the road. After nearly five hours waiting, I got picked up by the broom wagon. It was sweeping up the riders who weren’t going to make the cut off time. A sad place to be. Even sadder was watching triathletes finish the run for the next two hours. And even sadder than that was arriving back at Stansted to find that my bike hadn’t made it. I think it had decided to go back and complete the route by itself! Next year the world championships are in Las Vegas. Sounds tempting but need to qualify with a good time.

Comments

• Hard luck mate. Full respect for qualifying in the first place.
  • Unbelievable luck with punctures this year eh Robbie! I'm celebrating your 'success in principle' all the same: superb performance, as ever. A credit to the club - great to hear the Club Runs, TTs and Chain Gangs can hone GB Team perfomances.

See you soon for the details.
  • One never expects this sort of thing to happen, but oh boy can it ruin things. Bad luck.
    Daniel
  • Mate! hard hard luck.... I'm with Martin, will drink to what would have been!

see you soon for a full debrief.
  • just had that chat with Robbie over a glass of wine........terribly depressing seeing robbie was really doing well......gut wrenching to see everyone going past on 2nd lap knowing one could have been in there and holding in the bunch......I'll share a pint or two with you Robbie....great to even get in with that level.....keep going and better luck next time
  • Just got my official time for the swim... 412 out of 850. Smiling again.