Welcome to the forum

North Bucks CC Brickhills Reliability Ride - Sun 10th Oct, 9am

edited August 2010 in Sportives
Back in February, Daniel and I signed up for this. It got cancelled due to the snow.

It's now rescheduled for Sunday, 10th Oct. I'm not even sure I can make it yet - but have signed up anyway as it might fill up soon. A £6 gamble! I'd like to exorcise it: having driven through the snow that morning to Milton Keynes, have half a pork pie in their natty little clubhouse when they said it was off, and so drive back.

I know it's a bit of effort for essentially a very hilly club run [it's only about 60 miles]. But... it covers lanes out west we don't normally get to - so a chance to increase local knowledge. It's easy enough to get to and the short length means it won't destroy the rest of the day. And it's always interesting to nosy about another club's clubhouse and mingle with other clubs. If I go - I can take 2 other people and bikes.

So... fancy it? Climb on;
http://www.racetimingsystems.com/public/race.aspx?id=1018

Comments

• Sounds good, I'll take a place if you don't mind.
  • edited August 2010
    would love to but I really am out of passes for 2010 now!
  • Nice one Pete, Mark - click the link to register/pay. The field is only 100 capacity - I don't think there'll be guaranteed spaces on the day.

Sure - I can take both of you if you like. You'll have to wait for me to finish before getting a lift back. Ha!

Skelders: could be back to Baldock 2pm-ish - does that time require the full visa rubber stamp? I say this: and I haven't got permission myself yet! Hopefully all gravy though.
  • On October 10th I plan not to ride a sportive but a club run, which this day will be going around Milton Keynes; therefore I might be a little late for lunch. (It looks like there will be a T shirt 'found' in the cafe we are forced to stop in because xxxx got a puncture). My car is available too, with capacity for bikes and people.
  • he's alive!

Daniel, good to hear from you old chap, when are you next out?

My good lady has heard them all ;-) I am now on massive Autumnal 'green card/pass' gathering exercises
  • edited September 2010
    Yes.... booked and sorted (but might have to pull out due to racing)
  • i'm booked in too... cant resist a blue train
    will worry about transport / pacifying the other half nearer the time
  • This is next Sunday. I see there are 6 places left if anyone else fancies something a bit different.

Not sure how the blue train will hold together on a load of lumps. I guess those of similar ability will latch together. Otherwise... go for it!

http://www.racetimingsystems.com/public/race.aspx?id=1018
  • Hi all,

I have just signed up for this one so looks like the Blue Train is growing. Not sure i will be able to keep up with you guys but will give it a go!!!

£6 is a complete bargain.

See you next Sunday.
  • Marco - you still need a lift? If so - text me your address. nice one.
  • robbie - MC going in Pete's motor - i'll see you at yours 7.45am?
  • Well done the Blue Train. I didn't think it would stick together - but everyone chipped in and took to the front where needed to protect others, and it did just that for quite the way. I can't believe that route is ever doable in February - some big descents [we saw one big-time road-rasher who go it wrong] and there's one climb that could be politely described as grav
  • There were 8 CCA out on the club run that went from Milton Keynes. Indeed a real club atmosphere, nice and small, but with electronic timing.

There are at least two types of trains; inter city express trains and goods trains. The express can be characterised as punctual, slick and, above all, fast. Goods trains in contrast are ill tempered and slow. The CCA train pulled out on time and at pace. It wasn’t long before I was swearing cantankerously, breathless and worrying that the first hill was still ahead of us. Thus Theo found himself with the dead weight that is his father and also that he was forming the goods train.

Pete did miss the points that the top of the first hill, so for a short while we were ahead of someone in a CCA top.

The route is very convoluted; it seemed we were constantly heading towards Brickhill. It certainly felt like we were climbing it the whole time. A good route, but as Martin notes, one to be cautious of in bad weather.

Chapeau to Theo who rode the ascents nicely and was definitely held back by me. Despite this the goods train only rolled in only 10 minutes behind the express at an average speed of 17.2 mph, which I was quite pleased about. I recorded 860m of climbing. Looking at the results it looks like the express got into the 20th percentile whilst the goods managed the 40th.

Daniel
  • Very enjoyable ride- fast, steep climbs, back country roads, free tea and sarnies at the end, who could ask for more?
    guess Pete might argue it wasn't well signposted though...

Andy - if you left your bottles on the floor by Mark's car then I have them,
    if you didnt then I nicked someone else's Willier and SIS bottles...
  • Many thanks to all of the CCA riders who participated in the Brickhills Challenge yesterday. Having dropped my old man somewhere on the lower slopes of Bow Brickhill I thought I was in for a very lonely and arduous 40 or so miles back to the finish line, but after about 25 miles I was caught by an extremely friendly group of riders from your club.

Having chatted with several of you it became apparent that there are still really decent people who ride a really friendly club in my area.

As I live at RAF Henlow, I hope to come along to some of your Sunday club runs over the winter and, fitness (and family duties!) permitting, compete in some of your events over the forthcoming year.

I look forward to meeting up with you all again, hopefully soon!

Regards,

Jon Starbuck (The RAF CC Bloke!)
  • More than welcome!
  • That is our main aim Jon........admittedly we are still all trying to be fitter and when the body allows ..faster!!..however, as a club we have always stressed that cycling should be fun and inclusive.....so welcome any time to the friendly cycling club