Welcome to the forum

London Phoenix 100

2»

Comments

• Aiming to sign on at 8:30, ready to roll at 9
    Forecast is looking a whole lot less snowy than last year ... could be a very good day for the blue train
  • looks like im good to go, see you there at 8.30...
  • Turned left and did the shorter route...
    felt really unwell after trying to catch Peter. Still do!
    Hope MC caught you up after a P stop!
  • Unlucky robbie.

Awesome ride, reaal good fun
  • That was really hard!

I derailed on mile 12, Blue Train slowly disappeared into the distance and nothing I could do to close the gap. Bad legs today!

2 rear punctures at miles 25 and 31, even after fitting brand new £40 each Conti 4 Seasons tyres last night - at least I got to use the track pump at the halfway point.

Thanks to RichT for sticking by me as I slowly changed inner tubes twice and the entire sportive passed us by. Shared the last 50 miles together, so much appreciated.

Have to rethink this Chiltern 100 malarkey after today.........
  • Blue Train working well today. Some good through and off lead to a 20mph average. Nice weather too. All sportives should be run like this one. Anybody charging more than £12 is taking the p - timing chip, good signage and food and water half way around. What more do you need?
  • Brilliant ride today - I suspect sleep is not going to be an issue tonight.

Thanks for the tips Shaun!

20mph average far exceeded my expectations for today, although at times I did not think I was going to make it (thanks Jane for warning me that hill in the end would keep on going for a while…HR193)
  • Guilt free BBQ.. Best bit
  • If carlsberg made sportives.....

Amazing ride and judging by the people I passed in the last 10miles there were many a compliment on the strength of riding of the blue train, it would seem a few from other clubs struggled with your pace and were cooked!

I stuck with 3 friends from up north finished a couple of mile an hour slower than the bunch.

What a great day
  • Amazingly fast. Simply amazing bunch of riders. V proud to be part of the blue train today
    Cheers for the nudge, MC and a perfectly timed tow, Shaun - just when I really really needed it
    That tight left turn at the bottom of the hill went superbly this time
    Still grinning now
  • Got dropped right away!
    But enjoyed the challenge of riding round on my own. Tough ride but lovely weather and I felt good at the end.
  • lots of punctures today but very flinty after yesterdays rain and i dont think it matters much what tyres you are on just the luck of the draw. Also quite wet and slippery on some of the corners.
    Actually quite a tricky course to ride as an organised group, lots of holes and tight bends and lots of riders in the early stages. I thought all the CCA riders rode very well and were well disciplined, certainly compared to some of the other riders we picked up!
    Needed that. ...great ride from Peter too. BBQ well earned!
  • I know that feeling John having failed to keep pace with the blue train before. Also lasted about 12-15 miles before parting company. Tom, you are so right. The CCA blue train has become a measure of disciplined riding commented on by many other clubs. It is a credit to you all and to the club. long may it continue.Sounds like you all had some fun wherever you finished.
  • FDFD
    edited April 2014
    I didn't have the legs, heart, lungs or tyres today! Garmin said I was regularly between 90-97% of maximum heart rate for the first 12 miles, constantly yo-yo-ing off the back and sprinting like hell just to keep on. Had to slow down or blow up and wouldn't have got around the course. Just not quick/fit enough for the Blue Train today...still, 70 miles @ 17.5mph pretty reasonable for me in April..... need to observe Rule Number 5!
  • Results are published. The blue train defined the 11th percentile.

Really, really good fun.

Thanks to all who stoked the express engine as it sped through Essex.