Welcome to the forum

Century Routes

edited April 2014 in Club runs
Hi All,

On the hunt for some good century + routes if anyone has some to share that would be great, so far cobbled together a couple but should anyone have any recommendations that would be amazing.

Myself and 2 others are now looking at a weekly 100m+ ride setting off at 6am every sunday now if any others fancy joining,

Its a mellow 16mph pace as we are all training for london to paris 24hr in 8 weeks and we have to make a jump in mileage now.

any help much appr

(I have the deny already ;)

Comments

• edited April 2014
    theres the excellent hatfield forest route we used to do this time of year on the map page of the website, but the links dont work any more, i bet someone out there has the route?
    maps

heres one we did a couple of years ago going round cambridge/newmarket as lejog training.
    wicken fen
  • Thanks Stef, that looks top!
  • For what it's worth, I've been planning a 100 mile round Cambridge loop, this is as far as I've got (hope this link works):
    http://connect.garmin.com/course/5885351

I haven't actually tried it yet so can't say whether it's any good or not...!

I'm half tempted to join you but was planning on more like 14-15mph rather than 16mph...
  • There's another 100 miler which loops around the west of Cambridge and to ELY. Should be on the route list.
  • Geoff thanks the links seem to be down it you have it and could send that would be great... Ely reeks of flatland!
  • Tom: here's something a bit hillier

This is a great ride ( It's probably quite similar to the chiltern 100 route) but you may want to adapt it slightly
  • Tom, sounds good, very interested, were are you starting from? I have no preference
    Pete
  • doesn't seem to be recorded Tom. I'll map it out and send to you.
  • If anyone has the Hatfield forest ride on map my ride or similar that would be great. I remember doing this one ages ago and it was very nice route.
  • Andy. The Hatfield Forest ride was one I first rode and set up for a Spring 100 miler. I can't see it on our mapped ride list. I will plot this on map my ride along with the Ely 100 and post them here in a day or so.
  • Brilliant thanks Geoff. Much appreciated.
  • Keen on the 100 mile distance, like the sound of the pace, not so keen on Sunday 6am starts!

Might make a couple but not this Sunday. Update the post please to let us know start points and route.

John
  • Thanks Martin.......do you have our Ely route or shall I just sort?

Geoff
  • My word thanks for all the posts and routes!

In return I will post a start time on friday eve for those that are interested.

many thanks
  • edited April 2014
    just checked my mapped routes and this one is from my routes Martin. Did I send this to you or did you check my site?

If so the latter, do you want to download my other rides for the club archive?

Will sort the ELY route now.

P.S. JOHN. there is no need to start a 100 miler at 6am. We normally start the longer rides at 8.00am or 8.30am.
    there is a good pub in Balsham in the high street called the Bell. Suggest comfort break at Hatfield Forest..great views and banana/energy bar stop. Lunch at The Bell. Ready for a ripping section from Balsham to Fulbourn. Gloriously fast road , reminds me of some French roads. Back through The Shelfords. On a nice day this route has everything. Hillyish first half so pace it easier and then let rip for back half.
    Have Fun.
  • Geoff, I agree about not needing to start at 6am, but Tom above mentioned that he and 2 others intend to start on Sundays from 6am... that's very keen, especially for those that need to get to a start point. I get up everyday at 5.45am tp commute to London but like a little lie in on a Sunday!

John
  • These routes are really rider friendly. If riders want to ride for enjoyment rather than pushing hard to be back for noon then I'm sure others would like the option. Usually back for 3pm if 8.30 start including leisurely lunch break. Have fun.
  • Great stuff all,

My post was for routes which people have been most helpful.

My invitation to join should anyone wish I believe was courteous given responses and is no means to detract from club run starts.

John I understand you need your beauty sleep on a weekend x
  • Hi Tom. Hope you enjoy the route. Was just reassuring John that there might be others wanting to start later..Hatfield Forest route is stunning if weather good.
  • Thanks Tom. Us pirates need to look our best when out riding on a Sunday morning!

Still, as mentioned above, I may be able to wash off the moisturiser and cucumber eye patches on a couple of days and join you. :)

Did you see my review of the Fratello I whispered back to you on the Phoenix thread?
  • Yes thanks, went and spoke to Julian at condor, massively helpful, 6 week waiting list!
  • For a Fratello? I've got one, they're brilliant. Managed to get the geometry to match a cannondale supersix by using a -17 degree stem, so a great training bike. Also, completely comfortable for long (did a 250 mile ride on mine last year) rides and light touring... You'll love it!

Best of all, they do them in orange.
  • Agree very comfortable...and that's the same colour as mine....also have a Cotic 'cross bike in the same shade of orange!
  • Tom, was that 6 weeks for a complete bike build? I bought the Fratello frame and got Paul's Bikes in Hitchin to build mine up. He was prepared to match groupset prices off the Internet and I had some wheels and mudguards. The other thing to mention is that there's insufficient clearance at the front for a Campag brake...slight oversight in that an Italian frame doesn't go with Italian kit!

John
  • Guys...off topic. this link was about 100 mile rides. people reading recent blogs will get confused. Why not shift the bike data and start a new thread. All interesting stuff but not really relevant to people wanting to find and hear about century rides.
  • Well, Tom's doing a 285 mile all nighter and also asked my view if my bike was comfortable for long training rides...the subject of the thread he started. Apologies to anyone who's confused. Will take it offline.
  • John, Will thanks for heads up...

I guess I can summise by saying that a condor fratello would be an excellent choice of bike for a CENTURY ride then.

Much obliged, buntingford corner a10 / hare st by the co op. 6.45 start Sunday for a 100miler for those that are interested.