Welcome to the forum

CCA Geoff Denny 100 mile classic 2014, Sun 29th June 8.30am

edited June 2014 in General
Hi all

A reminder - the Geoff Denny classic is nearly upon us. A great summertime 100 mile route, where you're never that far from Ashwell.

http://www.mapmyride.com/gb/baldock-eng/cycle-club-ashwell-039-the-geoff-denny-1-route-2430835

Likely an earlyish start time: 8.30am? Susan to confirm.

Have fun!

Comments

• Yup! I'll definitely take a steady group. We'll need to start at 8.30am at the Tuns and I'll have a look at the route and see where we can stop for lunch. If you think you can come, please post!
    Looking forward to it.
    Susan
  • Should be there! will be nice warm up for yorkshire week!
  • Yep I'm up for it, really enjoy this ride :-)
  • Yes I'm keen to do this, what sort of speed are you planning on? (I've never done a 100 before!)
  • Don't worry timmer it's a relaxed pace as it's a long day in the saddle, we usually have an hour off in the middle for lunch, it's not a race so pace is usually between 15-17mph average. It's a good one to do if you have never done 100 before, rolling hills nothing too taxing. See you there. :-)
  • Ok sounds good, looking forward to it!
  • Count me and David in for this - looking forward to it
  • Will be there
  • It's next Sunday MC.
    Can't do the whole thing but hoping to join for the first couple of hours.
  • I would love to do this with everyone. Desperately trying to find a childminder for it!! I did a very hilly 76 miles including two cat 4 climbs this Sunday comfortably so a steady 100 is a great next step. Fingers xed I'll be there.
  • I'm in!!! Really looking forward to it!
  • Where do you intend to stop for lunch, Susan? If around halfway I might get my wife to come and scrape me off the floor! Otherwise I might get met at Fowlmere. Richard
  • Does anyone fancy navigating part of this as a youth or steady ride maybe at 60 miles or so at 14-15 mph?

Holly has been let down on a training run this Sunday so is looking for another ride.
  • I would imagine that the steady group will do about 15mph. Haven't thought about lunch yet, will do after the usual Wednesday night TT excitement!
    Susan
  • Previously on the GD100 Elmdon has made a good half wayish lunch stop. There's plenty of grass to sprawl over at the junction and a pub there too.
  • i am good for a steady ride for 50 or 60 miles; would need to know end point in advance to be picked up unless we peeled off and got back to Ashwell for end.
  • Sounds like a plan Susan & Richard. Will look at the route later and see if Elmdon works as an spot for mum to pick up.
  • Elmdon looks good to me @ 55 miles and not too far to drive
  • We could always give ourselves some extra fuel in the form of cake and also stop at westmill tea rooms mile 77 :-)
  • I'm planning to come along - see you all Sunday
  • I hope to join you Sunday
  • Haven't done a 100 miles this year. I'd like to give this a try.
  • not going to be able to join you after all,
    have a great ride.
    remember usual club run rules, look after each other, ride in formation, maximum of 2 abreast and close together on the left not middle of the road
    as was pointed out at the agm, no tri/aerobars please, and dont answer mobile phones whilst riding.
    be considerate to traffic trying to get past.

if you do have a massive turn out, then think about splitting into two groups, and leave 5 mins between the 2 groups.
    absolute maximum group size should be 12

most of all of course have fun and stay safe
  • I was thinking it would be nice to know who Geoff Denny was. I only vaguely know something about him.
  • Oh Stef, you will be missed!
    But good advice, thanks, we do have to do the thinking for drivers too. Looking forward to lunch at Elmdon and a cake stop if necessary.
    See you all in less than 12 hours!
    Susan
  • PS, yes Gwen I really don't know who Geoff was either, just that he died at the junction where the A 1 comes down to the Hinxworth Road (should we do something as we pass by, just like the Tour riders do when on M.Ventoux?)
  • Geoff Denny was a really nice guy who joined our club some 8-10 years ago. He had been in various clubs and was in his late 60's when he joined. A really good rider who had done most things in cycling and a good club rider who knew how to ride and support others. He died on the bike riding to a Wednesday club ride. The traffic island at the junction of the road which turns left to go up over the A1 crossing on our route through Hinxworth to Langford marks the spot where he had a massive coronary and died. He was completely unaware he had a chronic condition and his wife later told us that the doctors opinion was that his cycling held off the condition and extended his life. We remember him fondly so enjoy the ride which Bob Swain made up from an amalgamation of some of Geoff's favorite rides.
  • probably going to do a shorter ride! but will decide in the a.m. have a good time weather looks great
  • Many thanks to those who helped me after my TWO REAR punctures at 28 miles - I hope I didn't unduly delay you guys and that you didn't get drowned after i dropped out! I hope next time to complete the ride!
  • Really enjoyed that! Great route today and good company. Think we did a good job of navigating as none of us really knew where we were going. The only downside was the poor weather which went steadily downhill from 30 miles - slight drizzle to heavy drizzle to heavy downpour ending in a deluge!

Made it home with 105 miles on the clock at 15.1 ave and an extra stone in soggy clothes.