Welcome to the forum

Ashwell — Wells-next-the-Sea 123 mile ride, Friday 5th Sept 2014, 8:00am

Comments

• Looks like I am also on school pick up duties tomorrow Tim but I'm still planning on setting off from the Tuns at 8am as planned and heading to Ely and back on the train from there. If anyone else can only make half way or so it would be useful to know if there's potential for forming a group to head back to Ashwell?? I know John has to pick up kiddies as well for 3pm. Otherwise I'll work out which train station is best (Ely??) and will get me back by 3pm. Any advice on that one appreciated :0).
  • Hi Jon - did you say you had a folding tyre at the pub on Tues? Bring it and I'll stick it on the back of my bike.

Hi Gwen - you can easily get back from Ely by train. Or push a bit further if we make good time and turn off for Downham Market. Trains to Ashwell at 8 mins past the hr, taking approx 1hr 15mins. About 60 miles to Downham Market, so 1.08pm train.

Look at the map, after we come off the A10, you could turn for Ryston, head for Denver, then back on A10 a few hundred metres and on the A road to the station.

http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/1011050-ashwell-wells-next-the-sea/
  • I suddenly had this feeling to join you all ,so I went and had a lie down until the feeling passed. !
    HAVE A SAFE RIDE - Hopefully join you in 2015
  • Thanks Martin that's great. Downham Market it is! There's always after school club for any "emergencies"... ;) See you at 8
  • Is anyone buying train tickets up front or waiting until tomorrow?
  • edited September 2014
    Attempting to share the route for Garmin users....hope it works!

http://connect.garmin.com:80/course/embed/7828354
  • stiggers thanks for the route ...How do I download that onto my garmin edge?
  • edited September 2014
    Bike is ready..

Wells Bike
  • Buy your train tickets at kings Lynn and buy them in groups of 4 to get a discount.

That's a rather bottle of beer circumferenced postal tube you got there Matt...
  • Yipppeee-doo. My 3-day weekend has arrived :)

Already feeling sorry for the poor souls on the A1198 who'll be driving to work, when we head off for the beach
  • Hope you all have a super day tomorrow.
  • Won't be able to make it

Have a good time

Nat
  • The face of Crumps.

null
  • Looking a bit pie-eyed this morning!
  • What a great morning. After peeling off at Downham Market I've had my pint of award-winning ale and my homemade protein shake awaiting news of how you all got on with your fish and chips. Was great to ride with so many and meet some new people too: Nigel, Paul and Jenny . Hopefully catch up with a couple of you later at the Tuns. Thank you Martin for organising a great event - next year the children can make their own dinner and I can have my fish and chips! :o)
  • A great day, great people, great ride. Thanks Martin for all your efforts and pork pie! Wells - KL was a bit tough but the Guinness was worth it!

Some pics of the day...

• edited September 2014
    null

null

33 out. Everyone rode really well and thanks to all for the discipline shown on the major roads. The lanes were nice and quiet and doing this Classic on the first Friday of sept is definitely the best time in the hinterland between summer hols and back to school. Cars were very considerate and we rode as one peleton after Ely without issue.

Just two punctures all the way and one snapped gear cable. Well done Paul for riding with an improv single speed thereafter. The weather was great though the headwind was stronger than I expected. We averaged around 16.5mph in total.

It was not a great advert for garmins. A few detoured down the A10 and missed Ten Mile Bank. I think next year a good few will know the route from memory. Definitely the best way.

It was good to see the fellas going there and back near Holkham. And nice they warned the chippy we were coming and got the haddock on. I cycled to the beach, got some souvenir sand and would have had a quick dip if we had more time. As it was, we made great time and most went on the 5:37pm train. The Fenman pub was very accommodating and the train station staff kind. I've got badges for those who got the 5:37 train.

Several us ended up at the Tuns to greet the others riding back. That was nice. They looked toasted: let's not underestimate Norfolk. It does roll a fair bit. Respect due for that supreme effort.

Nice how everyone looked out for others. It got stretched at times. Not least that draggy hill outta 'S. Creake' (no paddle). But the elastic never snapped.

There was talk of a season-starting Classic to bookend this ending one. I like the sound of that and happy to load up the bag with pork pies for that. I think vedett makes a better lunchtime ale than duvel which did feel a bit heavy, if refreshing.

See you at the Three Tuns, Friday 4th Sept 2015, 8am for this ride again. Tailwind this time.
  • Great day folks, thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you all!
  • Great day thanks Martin for all your efforts
    looking forward to next year
  • I really enjoyed the riding with what must have been around one third of the club on the road plus visitors.
    Martin this counts as an epic so thanks for organising and sharing the loaves and fishes.
    Glad you had a big enough group for that beer in kings Lynn as well.
    Thanks all.
  • edited September 2014
    The 123 to Wells next the sea!

Particular thanks to Martin and others for bringing this ride together - it must have been like trying to herd cats at times.

Thanks also to your other callers and navigators who helped make it all so easy for the masses.

Thanks Nigel, you did a great in getting us safely over the junctions on our run down to Kings Lynn and, I must say, looked quite the part, on your high-viz Cipollini .

Vincent who acted as the sheep dog and did a great job in making sure us ‘steadier’ riders were never too far away.

A Grand Day Out, which I’m sure we’ll remember for a long time to come.

Thanks again everyone & take care.
  • Thank you all for this. It was a brilliant day.

Massive kudos to anyone carrying beer!
  • edited September 2014
    Brilliant to see so many CCA riders out together - especially on the lanes of Norfolk, where most of the drivers pulled over without a 2nd thought, to watch us go by

Big thanks to Martin for organising us and for a perfect display of cat-herding skills - clear direction-shouting, keeping our minds on everybody's safety, plying us with Leffe ... and all that without being remotely bossy. Oh and thanks too, to Tom, for NOT organising the weather :)

The big let down for me was Garmin. To be fair, I think it was probably a compatibility problem between device and the file I downloaded. (It gave me all the info it normally does, but refused to navigate the route... and yes, I was part of Gino and Vic's 'breakaway' that missed out on 10-Mile Bank ... and later on, I got distracted by MC, Steve and Cipollini-Nigel for another wander around the lanes. And finally, I was a bit late turning Garmin off, which means that my recorded route includes a 50mph section while I nattered away to some locals on the train. So sadly, the route I created yesterday won't be much use to anyone wanting to help with navigation next year.) On the plus side, following road signs and asking locals for directions did make it more of an adventure.

For me it was the perfect antidote to work and I had the best sleep in ages, last night. Thanks All for another unforgettable ride
  • Jane, the route I posted on here on Friday worked a treat.
  • Agree with all the comments posted - a really good day out on the bike with good company. Thanks to Martin and others for organising and keeping us on track. The ride through Holkham Park was a particular highlight. This ride and last week's Tour of the Cornfields have been great events in view. Easily the cycling highlights of the year for me.
  • Thanks everybody for making me feel welcome, special thanks to Gino ( told you to trust the Garmen) I wouldn't have found Wells without you
  • thanks Martin - a really great day out. fantastic to see so many out and managing to ride together as one group after ely. disciplined club riding, which was repaid by some very considerate norfolk drivers.

thanks to phil k, tom d, phil, mark w, steve and vince who all dropped back to look after riders near the back of the group who were struggling, like me.
    great to see fast riders prepared to look after others, what cca is all about.

i was delighted to complete the whole ride, after a summer off the bike. enjoyed the fenman, and recovery drinks on the train too.
    i agree an early season Classic would work well too, will have a think. sept 4th 2015 is in the diary too.
  • What an awesome day - thanks Martin for organising and everyone for making it a great ride.

My legs are so sore, and the cramp is still there! Feels great to have bagged my first hundred miler, and on a fixie.

Role on next year, might aim for the there-and-back...
  • Thanks all, to echo the thanks above. Highlights for me were the pork pies, holkham hall and being an honorary 'Wells' in Wells. Low point- realising the shop literally just sells pet food (I hadn't quite believed that!) Longest ever ride for me, so huge thanks to the massive peloton for the ride. I'll be booking the day off work for next year asap!