Welcome to the forum

8am Sat 10 jan

edited January 2015 in Club runs
Thinking 70-80 miles not sure which route yet... any preference?

Comments

• Not out Sat, got a 6 month Grandaughter to keep amused. Anyone got one of those cycle trailers!!!!! Have a good ride everyone and ride like the Wind!!! Unfortunately it's forecasted.
  • edited January 2015
    How about the “classic” Circuit de Bedford route - Newton Blossomville, Turvey, Thurleigh etc – that we can extend with Risely and Kimbolton that takes it up to 84miles (same route we did in june and november) with a stop at Harold Country Park (38 miles) for coffee etc - June stats were 19.3mph avg & november 18mph

or

"wobinghoe" route = Woburn, eggington,slapton, ivinghoe beacon, ringshall, pipers hill(s), redbourne ( coffee & cake) and back via kimpton and Whitwell - 85 miles
  • Sounds like a plan Stan
  • FDFD
    edited January 2015
    As I'm well behind you guys with my fitness....

...I'm going to use the expected gale force winds to full effect and ride from Hitchin to Downham Market via Ely (using the Wells ride route from Ashwell) and let the train take the strain on the way home! About 65 miles in the windblown rain is enough for me at the turn of the year....

....Cheating, I know but need to get some longer miles in on lower fitness levels!
  • Aiming to ride on Saturday. Will you be heading out via Langford?

If yes then will meet you at the Boot RAB.
  • i'll be there
  • Hoping to join you tomorrow morning
  • edited January 2015
    Jeremy... answer to the Langford question
    Over to Phil...

See you all tmw!
  • edited January 2015
    looking at weather would suggest we do Circuit de Bedford route - so will be at BootRAB at 8.25ish
  • Will come over to Ashwell as suspect we'll want to discuss the route as a group on the day. Happy with Phil's suggestions as a starter for 10.

See you in the morning.
  • Bedfordshire route by Phil sounds good.
    Need to work out why my bike creeks following a very wet commute yesterday.
    See you tomorrow at ashwell.
  • could be v windy indeed, but if not, I'll be there too
  • Check yr knees Vince!
  • edited January 2015
    d'oh, just remembered my bike needs fixing first ... and my (well strictly speaking, my dad's old) cable cutters aren't up to the job
    I'll sort it tomorrow and ride Sunday. See you next week. Maybe Spring will have arrived by then :)
  • Bedfordshire route it is then. I'll take advantage of an extra hour in bed and join the ride in Langford.

Warm, wet and windy - I think they call it alliteration.
  • Good luck for tomorrow, wind's supposed to be 30mph gusting to 50, should make it interesting but puts me off a little!
  • Good point Tom, looks like 9 am is peak for the high winds. Dont take any risks, looks rather violent.
  • Rain is a nasty thing, wind makes for good training.
    Jane, if you here a bump at 7.45am that is just my wire cutters arriving.
    How about riding on your other bike?
    Robbie, the creeping was definitely somewhere in my bike, but my knees were a bit wobbly.
  • Vince... deffo bottom bracket issue I reckon.

Very blowy out: struggling on the rollers in the back garden. Not going to do an early ride in the morning. Take care out there!

Might do a 6am 30-35 miler Sunday morning and will post up if so.
  • Too risky chaps, MTB ride later for me. Maybe tomorrow.
  • Hmm I had hoped the wind would have dropped by now. It will be a tough and blowy ride today. Robbie and all are you riding today?
  • Yes - gonna give it a go and see how it feels......
  • Deffo riding. Flattish route.
  • Ok best ready sharpish.
    Jane won't have time to drop off wire cutters but can do pm if you need a hand with your bike?
  • Hope you're all home safely?

I am a lightweight. I'm also the proud owner of brand new cable cutters and about to tackle the next stage of repairs

Vince - thx v much for offering to help. Reckon I should be able to work this one out myself, so I'm having a go! Best way to learn :)
  • started with 5

robbie turned for home quite early; i blame that new fangled paleo diet!!!

nathan (senior) had his chain snap in houghton conquest - so after much "link fiddling" he turned for home (trust you got back okay nathan)

this left me, jeremyP and Vince to battle on into the wind (and some rain) to harrold country park for bacon sarnies and coffee, followed by a swift enough return loop via risely, pertenhall and little staughton back to ashwell - cut a little bit off the route due to time constraints

stats = 77 miles avg 17mph

rule #9
  • To the 5 Musketeers, I doth my cap to your endeavours in those conditions. Top effort!!!
    Hoping for better luck tomorrow.
    On the up side, I have now sorted my turbo tyre mystery, and am now the proud owner of a "crank brothers speedi" tyre lever. Allegedly, I destroyed 3 inner tubes by pinching them whilst using my old lever to get the tyre on...
    Don't feel stupid at all.......much!!!,!,
  • Got back fine.
    Thanks to Vince for your help with the chain,new one on order
    See you next week
  • Ashwell. Langord. Virus... flat out.
    Slept all day and still in bed. Had a cold all week thatI hadn't got rid of - but was awaiting to pounce!
    Hopefully another weeks rest will sort it out.

see you nxt sady
  • Absolute beasting ride in the conditions today. I had 75miles at just over 17mph. Must admit to feeling the benefit of all the festive miles.

Glad you got back ok Nathan - we must have looked an amusing site all crammed under that bus shelter fixing your bike!

Hope you feel better soon Robbie - sounds like a good decision to head back to Ashwell.