Welcome to the forum

CC ASHWELL PRIMAVERA ROAD RACE 17th May 2015 HELP PLEASE!!

2»

Comments

• I am free so will be able to help out. Was hoping to sit as passenger with Tim as he needs a first aided. My first aid certificate is valid until October 15. Is that ok Carmelo and Will?
  • Brilliant, cheers Vince. You've saved the day! Would be great if you could do first aid with Tim in the service car. George, the more the merrier. Any help is appreciated!
  • I have booked top finish line judge Archie Foulkes to assist with camera work but any other assistant judges will be welcome.

Bring a clipboard, pens, book (or tablet to play with), folding chair and suntan cream (optimistically).

Mark.
  • Hi Will,

This might be a daft question but what time do you need us there on Sunday. Oh and where are we meeting? Is it at the Village Hall or are we needed elsewhere?

Cheers
    Scott.
  • Hello you lovely bunch of volunteering peoples.

First of all, HUGE thanks for helping out with this. It's on your own time and the club are enormously grateful. One of the conditions of being part of the Eastern Road Race League is that you have to put on a race. Without this race we wouldn't be a part of the league and the racers for the club who are getting into most races they enter would find it very hard indeed getting into anything at the moment. We give preference to ERRL club riders over non ERRL clubs and 67 of the 70 places filled up in this race are all ERRL.

Also, road racing is a great thing to do! It's a brilliant sport to be involved in and it would be a disaster to see it leaving our roads...

The sign on starts at 7.30am. For this we need to have Christine and Susan there with the start sheet, numbers (Tim, you could just drop the numbers off with Iain and Lindsey before Sunday, gives you an extra hour in bed!) and licence boxes (bring any safety pins you have that you don't mind potentially not having at the end).

Also teas and refreshments will need to be in there ready to make any super keen 4th cats a brew, so if Lindsey could get there for half 7 too that would be great. I'll obviously help out if need be!

Next up we need to get the signs out, so if Vic and Phil could get there for 7.45 that would give us an hour or so to get everything out. Should be enough time. If you have any cable ties/string/things that are good for attaching sign type things to other things then that would be great too. I'll stick a broom in and try and do a lap before to make sure there's minimal gravel on the road.

The marshals/drivers... If all of you could arrive by 8.30am that would be great. Bob will tell you all where to go and this will give you enough time to to the furthest posts.

I hope there's as good an atmosphere there on Sunday as there was this evening at the club 10! Any cake is also hugely appreciated, please bring as much as you can bake!

Many thanks,

Will
  • Oh and if any of you just fancy pootling over to cople to have a look, please make sure that if you're riding on the circuit you're riding in the opposite direction to the race. Ta
  • Hi Chaps,

Did you know about the road works / traffic lights as you come into Old Warden?
    See http://www.book-to-ride.com/elgin.php

Regards,

Graham
    07858 402683
  • Hi Will - yes, no worries. I'll be there for 7.30 to get the kettle on. I'll also get in touch with Tim D about the numbers.
  • Roadworks have been noted and we're sorting it out now. Thanks!
  • Also, Christine has be numbers so you don't need to worry about that, Lindsey. Ta.
  • FDFD
    edited May 2015
    Hi Will/Carmelo

I'll be at Cople village hall by 8.30am on Sunday with 'Lead Car 2' ready to be told where to drive....

....not seen the Primavera before, but presumably follow Stef in Lead Car 1!

Hope all goes well.

John
  • edited May 2015
    There's a map of the course here and a bit more info:

Many thanks to Martin for updating the programme!
  • Will - have emailed you with some details for Sunday.

Mark.
  • Chaps, just to let you know, Beds Road CC are putting on a Time Trial around the course starting at 08:01 - only 14 riders, so will all be over by 08:45.

We will have some of our signs out too, marked Beds Road CC, so if they can be left in place, I''ll collect after your event has finished.

Hope all goes well, we will be cheering from the Club House in Cardington!

Regards,

Graham
    07858 402683
  • Thanks Graham, thats great. We will try not to steal your signs!
  • Good luck CCA riders!

Link to hi-res programme (PDF);

http://tiny.cc/primavera2015

Vince has got the souvenir printed ones!
  • Will, have a good nights kip. All will go to plan tomorrow. Will bring the printed programmes and be around to help out from 8.30am.
  • Took a 2 min video 100m from the finish line of the last lap.

Video

Ignore the "commentator". He's and idiot and didn't have a clue what was going on.
    He was the winner I believe.
  • A big thanks to Sue and Archie for being assistant judges, great job. Also thanks to Steve K and Dave H for helping out at the finish.

CCA riders:
    26th Barron Mendelssohn
    31st Jon Chapman
    46th Iain Foulkes

Carmelo and Will have the full results if anyone is interested.
    Mark.
  • Big thank you to everyone who gave up their Sunday morning to Marshall, run the cars, judge and refreshments. As ever you did CCA proud. Tough racing in the wind at times but great fun trying to hang on to the fast lads. Well done Barron and john!
    Cheers
    Iain
  • As always A HUGE THANKS to ALL involved for making the race come together...A great CCA team effort and just want to emphasise we mean EVERYBODY!!

There were quite a few problems which we overcame not least that until 10.27pm last night we were facing the possibility of being forced to cancel due to road works and traffic lights on the course.

We had good weather if a bit chilly and good showing from our CCA riders.A minor crash early on with one rider off to A&E but i think he is OK..Average speed was 25mph!!

This was the 10th edition of the race and Will Smith's co-organisation has been great..he still managed to fit in a 50 mile TT yesterday setting a new club record of 1:49:59 then do a gig in London
    and still open up the village hall early this morning!!

So I am handing over to Will next year where I am sure I will be assisting him but also maybe .just maybe we may have our new course which goes through ashwell...fingers crossed!
  • Great organisation and congrats to Will on the TT record. That is some time you did on top of all the organising. carmelo I'm not sure CCA will let you get out of the Primavera that easily.
    Sitting in the last car gave me a whole different perspective on the organisation that is needed to make a race operate. Comisaires have some big decisions to make on the open roads to make the ride as safe as possible. The coordination via race radio was something:
    Time checks on the lead riders, moving second car into and out of the gap, keeping note of potential hazards on the road, calling out punctures and at the start a crash, keeping the odd aggressive driver in check at the finish, not to mention whether to neutralise the race due to the old steam engine on the course and on it goes. And that is just the cushy job sat in a car.
  • well done carmelo and will - great work and organisation - as ever a quality CCA event
  • Thanks hugely. For a first time behind the scenes of a race it was a real eye opener and made me realise how much we really do depend on so many people's good will to give up their time on a Sunday morning to stand on a corner, drive really slowly for 2 and a half hours, count numbers really fast for 20 seconds, supply cake to adrenalin fuelled gibbering cyclists and then clean it all up afterward. Carmelo deserves a special mention for his badgering skills, if he hadn't been on the phone to the contractors who were putting the roadworks up all day on Saturday then the race wouldn't have gone ahead. It's hugely appreciated by those that race and you all do the club proud!

Great to see so many out to help on a fantastic morning. The race looked fast, averaging 25 is a pretty speedy tempo for that circuit at a regional B. Well done to Barron, Jon and Iain for getting round it (and Iain still having enough left in him to sweep the hall at the end. Strong effort) and not a bad finish for Barron who's only just joined up and I believe this was his first finish at a road race...

I'm already looking forward to next year and hopefully getting the Ashwell circuit approved so we can have a local race for a change! I think it's time for the Primavera to move on from Cople.
  • Thanks Will and Carmelo, and everyone else involved. a great advert for the club.
  • Wish I could be there

Sounds like it went really well. And a lot of work goes in to it.
  • Thanks Will and very well organised....I enjoyed being part of it....and driving slowly for 2 1/2 hours actually passed really quickly!