Welcome to the forum

Ashwell-Wells-next-the-Sea 123m, Fri 4 Sept 2015, 8am

edited May 2015 in General
Ow do

Take Friday 4th September off and man-up/woman-up for the end of summer Ashwell to Wells-Next-The-Sea CC Ashwell Classic ride to the Norfolk coast. In my opinion, the best* annual point-to-point Classic the Club does. There's something rewarding about cycling to the coast.

We’ll be starting from the Three Tuns at 8:00am to navigate the almost pan flat lanes to pretty WNTS. We will be going at all-inclusive pace. It’s a great way to bookend whatever season you’ve had with a big club ride.

From Wells, as before, it’s a 20 mile tootle to Kings Lynn station for the train back after fish and chips overlooking the harbour. I’d estimate getting back to Ashwell environs 7pm ish. Without puncture delays.

If 123 miles total seems a lot to you, ask those that have done it before, because the lack of climbing really makes a difference in the effort. Also, the more who come along, the bigger the draft – so all aboard! Remember too, the route takes us past the nearby stations back, so if you only want to come as far as Ely or Downham Market – happy days. Some have done it having only ridden 60-something miles before in one ride. A few years ago, Bob did it just fine.

Having said all that, I just need to underline that everyone is responsible for their own selves on this ride. I recommend thicker tyres, something to pick flints out of tyres. Bring cash. And we should pack at least one spare tyre for the group. In the deepest parts of Norfolk, there’s not an awful lot of bike shop actionne.

The route keeps us off the busy roads, barring a tiny part of the orribl’ A10 where caution is required. Highlights include, Ely, Flandersesque Ten-Mile-Bank, watching the tornados taking off at RAF Marham and going through Holkham Estate to the bemusement of the National Trust punters.

Lowlights include the food stop at Narborough. A little town trapped in time like some episode of Sapphire & Steel. You will need to bring your own butties and jelly babies as there’s nowt much more than a bench and bus stop there. I’m happy to help out continue the tradition of the Belgian beer and Crumps sausage roll fest.

The weather might play its part. If the forecast is shocking, we will have to think about cancellation.

A few top of head thoughts;

• Please check your tyres and bike condition.
• If there’s a puncture, please all use the time to check your tyres for flints.
• Keep it super tidy on the A1198 up Arrington hill. And A10, of course.
• No stopping unless we are all agreed/aware we are stopping.
• Only strong and confident riders at the very back and front please.
• I’d avoid too many chips. They can be like lead weights. Fish and peas is best.
• The Fenman pub is nice enough at King’s Lynn for a refreshment. There’s also a big Morrisons just a minute from the station.
• Buy your train ticket back in groups of four to get a discount.
• Every finisher gets a limited edition badge. Supreme heroism and audacity brings on the Double Badger.
• It’s less the legs and more the eating on this ride it seems. Keep eating/pack more than you think.
• Sunrise approx 6.20am, Sunset approx 7.40pm. Bring decent lights.

No one will mind if other people outside of the Club join in. The more the merrier. If it’s a big group, we will split it.

* Only.

Comments

• Looking forward to it already.

On the tyre front, I rode Tour of the Black Country a couple of weeks ago (13 miles of proper off road, gravel, cobbles etc) on budget Vittoria Rubino's (28's) and avoided a puncture. Fit a new set of boots for Wells and be ready for winter.
  • If I'm about for this I'll be going there and back again. Was hugely enjoyable last year!
  • Glad I rode the Spring version, as I'm going to have to miss this one.
    Not too gutted though, as I'm off back to Mallorca for another week riding in the sun.

I'll miss the badge though!
  • its in the diary
  • Id like to take part in this ride again...
  • If you did it a smidgen earlier ( ie a week) I'd have joined you. But I know you did it out of revenge for not getting to ride Paris -Nice which departs Saturday 5th.
    Also note you may be clashing with the tour of the cornfields weekend. But I have not checked that recently.

Not expecting you to change the date but would be fab if it did.
  • I'll try fixed again this year ( if I recall last years ride came in at over 35,000 pedal revolutions ) and will remember (a) drink more water and (b) avoid the chips in Wells

It's a cracking ride and the blast through Holkham is a treat
  • As per Vincent - would be up for this but not on the day before we travel out for the Paris Nice trip. Probably would have attempted riding there and back as per Robbie et al last year.

Reckon you can't please everyone here with timing as any earlier will clash with Summer holidays.
  • edited May 2015
    Yes, this does sort of clash with the Tour of the Cornfields date. Last year I ran it on the weekend before.

However it looks likely that the full open version will be resurrected by a team from East London. I last organised it as an open event in 2011. They have gone for Sunday 6th September. I'm still waiting to hear if it's definitely on. Interestingly Merlin Cycles have listed it as one of the Top 10 Sportives to do in 2015.

http://www.merlincycles.com/blog/top-10-uk-and-ireland-sportives-to-do-in-2015 - sorry I failed to create the link properly.

I am happy to still run a club version of the Tour of the Cornfields, perhaps the weekend before. However I will definitely ride the official one if it comes off. Obviously both events are doable that weekend if you have the time.

The first Eastern Cyclo-Cross race of the season at Basildon is again booked for that Saturday.

Anyone capable of doing all 3?!
  • Ok. Maybe there's a good shout for a date change.

Happy to talk more after Tuesday's AGM at t'Tuns. And then confirm the date. But maybe Fri 25th Sept or Fri 2nd Oct would be possible alternatives. It'd be a likely a slightly tougher ride. But more of a symbolic bookend to the season being very near the Club hill climb date.

For the record, the original date predates Paris Nice trip.

Whatever the date: it'll be a fun ride. Cheers.
  • quite right Martin. Don't think anyone seriously thought you'd contrived to clash...p/N was organised after your post.
    I would love to do this ride again and a date change to post P/N would make that possible. Cheers.
  • Martin,

My preference would be to keep it on that date. Later in the month means clashing with the Cyclo-Cross season, meaning all us CXers won't be able to make it. Whilst the original date does clash with the Basildon event, it's not our favourite and a few of us were happy to skip it last year.

Mark.
  • i agree - keep it to the original date, 4th sept has been in the diary since september last year, and better to do the ride with more daylight and hopefully better weather conditions.
    its always impossible to find a date that suits everyone and moving the ride will be better for some, worse for others.
    hopefully we can come up with some other destination rides late sept / early oct that paris-nicers will be able to join.
  • good thoughts Stef.
  • Looking forward to the ride,count me in
  • edited May 2015
    Let's keep it Friday 4th September then?

And let's look into a new Classic possibly around end of October instead of changing. There's a few ideas knocking about for a falling leaves big ride.

See you Tuesday eve in the Tuns - during/after Chain Gang, at the AGM/Club Night to talk more...

Martin L
    Matt S
    Will
    Stef
    Tony C
    Nige
    Stiggers
    Jon S
  • edited May 2015
    Suggest a rerun of the 3 cafes ride in early October. A great route and the day fits nicely into the available daylight. Believe we did it when still on GMT in late March.

Also a good way of comparing fitness pre- and post-season.

See you at the AGM on Tuesday.
  • Put me down for this ride please.. I am off work that day. I will be taking all your advise on board apart from the chips! I love chips
  • Great stuff, looking forward to a cracking day out ;-)
  • I'd like to join the ride if it's still open to none acc members
  • Of course! And my mate Graham from St Neots Tri said he's coming too, yesterday.

Martin L
    Matt S
    Will
    Stef
    Tony C
    Nige
    Stiggers
    Jon S
    Chris B
    Graham F
    Allfie
  • Jenny's in. Roll up, roll up CCA ladies...

Martin L
    Matt S
    Will
    Stef
    Tony C
    Nige
    Stiggers
    Jon S
    Chris B
    Graham F
    Allfie
    Jenny

There's talk of scone action in Narborough. Interesting...
  • Put me down for this ride please good day out ??
    rob
  • A nice looking laughing group coming together. We've got a good 7 weeks or so to ponder on Belgian ale, pork pie and scone choices to pack.

Martin L
    Matt S
    Will S
    Stef D
    Tony C
    Nige H
    Stiggers
    Jon S
    Chris B
    Graham F
    Allfie
    Jenny A
    Robert B

There'll be commemorative badges for every finisher.

Reminds me: there are badges for the Tour of the Cornfields CCA Classic in August. And also for the inaugural falling leaves CCA Classic in the autumn, The Roffle.
  • Never got my badge for last year, was there a special one for fixed-madness?
  • I didn't get mine either!

Sadly, it looks like I'm going to miss this one now. Racing Ironman UK on Sunday & following that, I think my weekly mileage will dip alarmingly by order of the wife!
  • I'm up for this again. Is Jenny arranging catering....!

Or is it a trip to Crumps for Martin again. Look forward to seeing Matt's beer carrying
    contraption this year,it was pretty nifty last year.
  • edited July 2015
    Martin L
    Matt S
    Will S
    Stef D
    Tony C
    Nige H
    Jon S
    Chris B
    Graham F
    Allfie
    Jenny A
    Robert B
    Paul S
    John riddett
    Chris B 2

Jenny's folks can't help out this time. Let's raid Crumps. And House of Belgium.

Badges: I've still got loads. I brought them to last month's club night. Collector's items.