Welcome to the forum

Ashwell-Wells-next-the-Sea 123m, Fri 4 Sept 2015, 8am

Comments

• The 123 ride might have to become the 127 or so ride if the flood defence repairs along Ten Mile Bank after Ely aren't done by 4th Sept.

http://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/flood_defence_repairs_could_take_up_to_three_months_to_complete_1_4127775

Thanks to Slighty for pointing out.

Not a bad diversion if so. Across past Wenley wildlife centre and then loop back to Hilgay. And flat flat flat miles.

If anyone is nearby Littleport nearer Sept, maybe they do a recce of the road repair status on TMB? ta.
  • I hope the badges will reflect this change ;-) lol.... I don't suppose you have any of last years left do you ? I didn't get one nor I believe did Rob B ?!
  • edited July 2015
    I've got a hatful of 2014 'Mad-ferret' Wells ride badges. I can bring them down on the day.

I am out of 2014 double badger badges. It's all about bagging a 2015 double badger now.

Google says this year's 123 ride could be the less neatly numerical 126.5.
  • Lol.... Looking forward to it, as always !! Let's hope the weather is on our side too :-)
  • Shame, I quite like that 10 mile bank road.

Sorry about the lack of catering support, but don't worry, I will find some way of carrying scones...

• I'm planning on doing this ride as well now - looking forward to it!
  • Surely it's time to go metric with the badges...
    126.5 miles puts you just nicely over the 200km mark
  • edited July 2015
    Martin L
    Matt S
    Will S
    Stef D
    Tony C
    Nige H
    Jon S
    Chris B
    Graham F
    Allfie
    Jenny A
    Robert B
    Paul S
    John Riddett
    Chris B 2
    Tim A
    David N

I've found the 2014 Festive 500 badges in my bag of 2014 Wells badges by the way. That was some achievement.
  • I need to start collecting badges so put me on the list
  • I'm aware if people need to book a day off work, they might need 4 weeks notice. So here's your reminder as we are one month away.

If you would like to do this ride but wonder if the distance is too much, speak to someone who has done it before and you might just feel encouraged. A great looking peloton is up for 2015. Anyone would feel very well looked after.

A bit of a twist on the finisher badges this year... personalised badges! Oh yes.
  • Looking forward to it, as usual, can't wait.....
  • All,
    Have a great day.
    Disappointed I cannot make it as I will be doing the LEJOG 5th to 13th.
  • See you on this next year Graham. Hope you have a great LEJOG.

Martin L
    Matt S
    Will S
    Stef D
    Tony C
    Nige H
    Jon S
    Chris B
    Graham F
    Allfie
    Jenny A
    Robert B
    Paul S
    John Riddett
    Chris B 2
    Tim A
    David N
    Fletch
    Mark W
    Stevie tbc

Team: remember, we are going for an 8am start. I'll get the Tuns to put the coffee on as before like they did for the 3 Cafes spring ride. So see you in the pub.
  • A compulsory buy, surley.... could come in handy
  • Nice one but will they hold the Leffe 750ml bottles if it's a proper sesh !
  • Hi.

Well, yesterday evening Jenny convinced Lil this was a great idea so we are in. Please add Lil and myself to the list. Looking forward to it.
  • edited August 2015
    Great stuff. We might have three ladies on the ride then. Brill.

And I'll see if my new best friend Steve Abraham fancies it! I've just chatted with him on the bike as he came out of Potton. He said he was restarting his one year TT record attempt on the weekend. Amazing feat! Which begs the question: what's he doing on the bike now? He should be resting on a beach! Wells beach!

Of course, I papped him;

null

Martin L
    Matt S
    Will S
    Stef D
    Tony C
    Nige H
    Jon S
    Chris B
    Graham F
    Allfie
    Jenny A
    Robert B
    Paul S
    John Riddett
    Chris B 2
    Tim A
    David N
    Fletch
    Mark W
    Stevie tbc
    Adam S
    Lil
    Taff

Matt: that bottle carrier certainly beats my wooden crate idea.

null
  • Hi All,

You can add me to the list of riders please! Looking forward to this!
  • Hi All,
    I'm not an official CCA member but have tagged on to a couple of Wednesday club rides. If this is still open to non members do you mind if I tag along. sounds like a great day out.
  • Jim: you are welcome. There are 4-5 non CCA on this tootle.

This will deffo be 2 pelotons to Ely and then we should be ok as one thereafter. Keeping it nice and tidy and managing bits like A10 and the kings Lynn town centre.

Reminds me: we won't all get in one train back. I am happy to forfeit the first train back and dispense badges at the Fenman pub (garden) opposite. Hence bring lights in case you on later train too.

Will be at Tuns eventually... Waving off Paris Nice taperers..?

And welcoming any doing Wells and back. Any this year? Let us know.

Martin L
    Matt S
    Will S
    Stef D
    Tony C
    Nige H
    Jon S
    Chris B
    Graham F
    Allfie
    Jenny A
    Robert B
    Paul S
    John Riddett
    Chris B 2
    Tim A
    David N
    Fletch
    Mark W
    Stevie tbc
    Adam S
    Lil
    Taff
    Jim F
  • I too will give up my spot on the first train back. I'm sure I'll find something to drink do
  • Hi Martin,
    My leave has finally been approved.
    Is it Ok to come along.
    Won't require the train home as staying overnight
    Regards
    Pete
  • Glad to have you with us Pete. Cycling back next day?

Martin L
    Matt S
    Will S
    Stef D
    Tony C
    Nige H
    Jon S
    Chris B
    Graham F
    Allfie
    Jenny A
    Robert B
    Paul S
    John Riddett
    Chris B 2
    Tim A
    David N
    Fletch
    Mark W
    Stevie tbc
    Adam S
    Lil
    Taff
    Jim F
    Pete W
  • I'm happy on the later train too...Dave's last minute packing for Paris Nice will be much easier without my 'help'.
  • 'Packing'????? Toothbrush and some chammy cream is all I need...
  • ^^ I prefer Colgate myself
  • just thinking out loud here rather than officially raising the hand of definitive interest/intent but hypothetically if one was to attempt to ride there and back and forgo the train what would that involve as in mileage and approximate "on the bike" time and arrival home time?

Its been on my mind that it would be an epic achievement but having never ridden more than 130K in one go i dont want to commit myself if the likleyhood is getting marooned somewhere in the middle of nowhere in the dark with lead legs and the tank on empty!

My thinking is 130K was tough but the pace would have been a lot faster plus took in hills etc so with a flat and slower route then it could be possible for me.

or not - feel free to speak freely and tell me if im being daft even thinking about it.
  • JMac, Will and a few others did the return trip last year. Quite a challenge I think
  • yeah I'm thinking that may be a plan for next year. baby steps as they say!
  • Jim, Out and back is 200m ( 320km ) so a huge difference in what you've done previously. You might feel great when you get to Wells with a 100m on the clock, then 30m
    into the return trip and your legs go,it could be a soul destroying roll back.

Jmac,Will and Robbie all looked like they'd done the Paris - Roubaix when they got back to the 3t's last year, it didn't however effect Robbie's thirst ....!