Welcome to the forum

Ashwell-Wells-next-the-Sea 123m, Fri 4 Sept 2015, 8am

Comments

• null

Just pointing out this ride of jolly japes and wheezes is next Friday 4th Sept. Leaving the Three Tuns at 8am.

I've asked the Tuns if they can open for coffee beforehand from 7.30am. And I've asked them if they can think of a 'Finisher's cocktail' with lashings of ginger ale, for anyone who wants to join me in the Tuns from the train back, Friday evening.

The trains from King's Lynn are 5.36pm, 6.36pm, 7.37pm etc. Each train takes approx 1hr 20mins depending on destination.
  • Hi all
    I'm not a member as yet but would anyone mind if I join up on this ride?
    If thats ok then I'll be coming along with Taff in the morning.

Cheers
    Jim
  • edited August 2015
    -
  • Jim... you are welcome. You might have to settle for a non-personalised finisher's badge though

Martin L
    Matt S
    Will S
    Stef D
    Tony C
    Nige H
    Jon S
    Chris B
    Graham F
    Allfie
    Jenny A
    Robert B
    Paul S
    John Riddett
    Chris B 2
    Tim A
    David N
    Fletch
    Mark W
    Stevie tbc
    Adam S
    Lil
    Taff
    Jim F
    Pete W
    Jim

I see Dave's been left speechless. But then that's what happens when you brush yer teeth with chammy cream ;-)
  • 26.............................!!!!! stunning. Have a good ride everyone.
  • Martin could you please show me down for the ride. Thanks.
    John
  • Great to have you with us JT.

Martin L
    Matt S
    Will S
    Stef D
    Tony C
    Nige H
    Jon S
    Chris B
    Graham F
    Allfie
    Jenny A
    Robert B
    Paul S
    John Riddett
    Chris B 2
    Tim A
    David N
    Fletch
    Mark W
    Stevie tbc
    Adam S
    Lil
    Taff
    Jim F
    Pete W
    Jim
    JT
  • Hi. Just wondering if anyone who's going and lives in Ashwell would mind storing Lil's and my bike overnight Friday? We will probably want a beer or two when we get back to the pub and will then get a lift home later on. Would be ideal if we could leave our bikes somewhere and collect them in the morning.

Do people normally hang around in the Tuns for a while afterwards? And do people stay in their Lycra?!

Thanks. Ad.
  • Hello Three Day Weekers...

I'll be at the Club Night in the Tuns, Tuesday - if anyone fancies a catch-up...

Remember - it's an 8am start on Friday. Unfortunately, the Tuns have no residents in their rooms the night before, meaning they're unable to offer coffee beforehand. If that changes, they'll let me know.

They have, however, got a "Finisher's Cocktail" in mind for the evening. Some kinda ginger ale thing. I will sample one at the Club night.

Please look to check over and 'winterise' your bike. Especially tyres. Current forecast says these badges will be well earned!

Assuming a big turnout on the day, we'll split the group into two to get to Ely. We'll need one or two people who know the way to Ely for one of the groups. We should be OK as one group thereafter, whatever the turnout.

Adam: I'll pop in on the Tuns after the train back. In lycra.
  • Looking forward to it, badges look great too ;-)
  • Great club night... more importantly: coffee is go! 7.30am at the Three Tuns. right side room.

See you there. Show your appreciation as they are doing it especially.

cheers.
  • Chapeau Martin. Perfect start
  • see you there at 730 great work. also spent the night in the garage last night preparing for the big ride. Not least swapping to schwalbe marathons. 2 flint punctures this week already, cant be dealing with that all the way to wells. not eating today to compensate for the weight gain :-)
  • Have kept an eye on the forecast and it's looking a bit moist. My winter bike is in pieces at the moment and I won't have time to get it ready for Friday. If Lil and I turn up without mudguards will this be an issue? Would rather people say now than annoy everyone for a day..! Otherwise, looking forward to it.
  • edited September 2015
    Yep. It'll be wet at times it seems.
    Adam: I suggest those clip on mudguards. That's what I've got on. Work just fine. I bet someone has a spare if you can't invest in time. Also, John R in Ashwell says he's happy if you want to store your bike. I bet the Tuns won't mind either.

Coffee on from 7.30am at the Tuns.

cheers
  • Adam
    I've whispered you.
    John R
  • edited September 2015
    What else do you do on your day off than make a bicycle beer carrying device out of some plywood and your wife's old belt..

• As I'm a guest wouldn't want to upset anybody is it no mud guards no ride ? Sorry if it sounds like I'm just repeating adams comments
  • Mudguards are advised. Not demanded.

Besides, the forecast has improved since earlier. Fingers crossed we get a dry run at it.

What I would like to insist on is tidy cycling. Good formation. No three abreast. Let's impress the Norfolk road users. We were great last year.

It appears to be a cross/headwind. Only confident riders in the front 4. And the very back.

I still need a navigator for one half of us to Ely if turnout high and we need to split...

I've got bottle carrying device envy.
  • edited September 2015
    As always Martin has organised a great day out on the bike. Enjoy everyone and look forward to reading the stories on the forum.

Anybody doing this out and back like Robbie, Will and JMac did last year?
  • Adam S and Martin L

I've whispered you both.
  • Martin, have you got an up to date route with the detour around ten mile bank or are you just running with the original? I can nav another group to Ely if needs be
  • I will meet you all at the petrol station on the 1198 as coming from Royston.
  • Sorry peeps not going to able to make the ride tomorrow ???? but hopefully will make the tuns ????
  • OK Paul. Mark W is doing something similar I think.

If Ten Mile Bank is oot, it's an easy diversion thru Littleport, Wenley Wildlife Trust and then back on track. Route here, adding approx 3.5 miles, and precisely 0 ft climbing.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/10197294

Cheers Jeremy. Have a brilliant PN. I don't think there are any there-and-back riders this year. But I will be going back to the Tuns after the train like last year if anyone fancies a pint.
  • 20 welsh cakes carefully and ingeniously packed. They just about double the weight of my bike, so if you see me hanging off the back of the group please help me lighten the load! They might or might not make it to Narborough.
  • As above, you can't leave Narborough without sampling same of Belgium's finest - I have paper cups!
  • Sorry, I can't make this.. hope you all have a good one
  • Thanks guys for a great day. Sorry I didn't do the train back. I thought 100 would be my limit, regret not doing the extra 25. Always next year!
    All the best Dave N