Welcome to the forum

Redgrave CX: Pete beats world champ!

edited November 2015 in Cyclocross/Offroad
Grided mid race Peter stromed down the outside and by the first corner was in the top 5. He went round the outside and emerged in the lead. As he past world champ Dave McMullen, Peter looked into his eyes and Dave knew he was beat my the better man. For the next 2 corners Peter maintained his position. And the rest as they say is history...

Well done Peter it was a fantastic start in awful conditions.

Comments

• Thanks Richard. It was a brief moment of glory and it, along with 23 other riders, quickly passed!

Maybe I should try pacing myself next time.
  • Classic Pete Daniels start - Brilliant. I was in the race and did not see him go.
  • Brilliant….i really don't know how you did that, there was plenty of room heading to the first corner but the grass was so gloopy and slow it was impossible to accelerate.
    I had horrible oxygen debt just getting off the start line and trying to hold my grid position.

Spinning that small gear i guess?
  • I don't really know either. I know I set out in a middle gear. my legs seem to do acceleration but won't do power. all good fun!

Oh and I had a fleece under my tee shirt too and I can't say I had any issue with being hot.
  • Redgrave was a good race for me. I had a good start and refused to be bogged down by the mud. So riding in quite a high gear I could 'float' over the mud and maintain pace. The problem with this is it is a high torque endeavour and I consumed my resources rather too fast. Thus having built a considerable lead on some (including Stuart) I waned and said Field got me on the line. SHUCKS! I didn't wear enough clothing so was cold at the start, but fine after a lap or so. Mind you it was blue skies for the grown ups race!

Pleased to have given some entertainment to those hiding in the club house.
  • That's how I would have described your ride Daniel. You certainly floated by and away from me on more than one occasion. Even after you graciously let me run past you on the small lumps. That was a blow to see you go by me again. However never forget the Field family motto.

''vincere Daniel Doncaster omnino gratuita''