Welcome to the forum

Club night, Tues 1st March, "The Art of Speed: how to be a bike bullet"

edited February 2016 in General
Hi all

March is shaping up to be a brilliant club night. Tues 1st March, Three Tuns back room, from 8pm.

We will have a sports therapist and more goodies to look at from Flamme Rouge. So bring your aching muscles and sore back. There'll be a Maynard Maintenance Masterclass too.

And now... announcing... a very special, insightful intro and Q&A opportunity with our very own Justin Layne. The fastest guy in town!

"The Art of Speed: how to be a bike bullet", A Q&A with Justin Layne

His record and achievements speak for it all. If you have any ideas on going that bit faster on a bike in 2016 - here is your opportunity to ask the man himself. Super modest - but super keen to share his experiences. Come along prepped with a question or two and glean an insight into going that bit quicker. Whether you're focused on TTing or not - it'll be fascinating and interesting to all cycling fans. Starts approx 8.45pm.

All welcome, whether CCA members or not.

Comments

• edited February 2016
    Just bringing this to the top: Club Night Tuesday 1st of March.

And to point out we will have more details about this season's new weekly TT 10 mile course to share.

All welcome: members or not.

cheers
  • Hi everyone

A reminder... this Tues 1st March is the monthly club night.

Flamme Rouge, Maynard Masterclass, and a unique opportunity to hear some wise words and ask for TT tips, from our award winning Justin.

A request: does anyone have a flip chart and stand they could bring down?? For some TT diagram action.

Thanks. Club night starts 8pm in the Tuns back room, Justin is on around 8.45pm.
  • Great club night! Thanks Justin. Cheers richard.

null

null

null
  • Most excellent, thanks Justin, and Martin for organising!

We never did get to the new club TT course though ... Is it a shorted version of the F14/12? Or are we taking the little cut-through?
  • Indeed a fantastic talk Justin, i think there were things to think about for everyone. You are a very good speaker too.

Yes the new 10 will be a shortened f14/12, same start, up the toll bar shortcut and finish just after the start at the bottom of the hill.
  • Fantastic night and such an interesting talk, thanks Justin. Also a thank you to everyone for the kit to send to Kenya, I know it will be put to great use by those not as fortunate as us. I'll post some pictures of the kit in use when I get them!
    The new TT course sounds great, I think it will be at least 30sec quicker, if not a minute.....

Right, I'm off to buy 6kg of Krill Oil for my chain and some wax tablets to take before bed. That was right wasn't it......
  • I'm pretty sure it was Krill Oil suppositories with a wax applicator ... I might have got that wrong ...
  • You guys weren't paying attention to the DETAIL, it was silicon on your chain and Krill oil tablets stuck to your tyres for extra grip.

Joking apart what a great evening, thanks Justin for some superb insights into the process of developing speed and for sharing your knowledge is such an eloquent way. Literally exciting times ahead !
  • Photo caption competition:
    'Richard Maynard demonstrates a way to administer krill oil intravenously'
  • Gutted I missed this.

Is there anyone who would be prepared to provide a short summary of Justin's words of wisdom regarding speed, and Richards advice on the derailiers. I presume the wax was to apply to the jockey wheels?
  • wax for creaking joints I think Pete...tho. I wasn't there to confirm. Talking of Jockeys seen the jump results...Vicky P. is winning again but now on horseback over jumps!!!!
  • Anyone who found Jason's (excellent) chat of interest, would do a lot worse than reading Michael Hutchinson's excellent book "Faster". It provides a fascinating insight into the mind of serious elite testers like Justin and covers many of the same topics he discussed so engagingly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Faster-Obsession-Science-Fastest-Cyclists/dp/1408837773/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
  • Here is the new Club 10. Note the start and finish points are approximates - but about right.

http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/3421978-cca-club-10-f14-draft/

If we want to, and if Justin can, we did discuss the idea of kindly asking Justin back for a Club Night maybe June or July with an accent on how things are going mid-season as it were.