Welcome to the forum

CC Ashwell Cyclocross - Sunday 9th October

Comments

• Who has the paper cups from last year? Anyone got the coffee, teabags and milk? If no offers then I am going to the shops later and can purchase the required items.
  • Have fun everyone...good luck Sophie on home turf.
  • Sorry to be a complete pain but Lil and I won't be there. We are moving on Tuesday and we have so much to do to make it habitable before then. Sorry to let you down. A & L.
  • I have tea and coffee and will bring milk and some sarnies. I am trusting in the great God of Bake Off that cakes will appear!

Daisy is happy to serve until 13:00. We still need someone to voluteer to help and deal with the post 13:00 slot.

Just let me know.
  • Hi Daniel, if it helps Ethan and I can probably rustle up some tea and coffees in the afternoon. We can take over at 1pm.

Cheers
    Scott.
  • Heros to a man! Thank you.
  • Daniel, a bit late but am going to ride the 1.30pm 40-49 race. also riding under 10s and under 12s race (not in person). so will be around to help in the morning. can get there early if that helps also for early setting up (Saturday is a bit tricky).
    would love to watch the girls ride and be there to help out but let me know if you need help or a reserve or a marshal etc. the organization looks amazing already.
  • Don't worry about Saturday, great to have you marshalling on Sunday. Thank you
  • Vincent, it would good if you could marshal during the Youth race please. we could also do with another volunteer to help marshal in the afternoon for the Vet 40 race at 1.30
  • Just watched last year's [Vets 40-49] race on Facetube. Brought back a few memories... Gonna be tough again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7i4Su_yWgw

Pete/Daniel - my morning is still a bit topsy-turvy but stick me down to help marshal 11-12pm if useful...

ta

Martin L
  • Will Marshall for the kids and youth but will appreciate escaping 45 mins before the vets race to get race face and legs on.
    Afternoon will be racing then heading back to work at home I'm afraid.
  • Daniel, are there any places left in U10 race?

Dan.
  • Dan, there's always plenty of room for the U12s and U10s just sign on the day. Sign on closes at 9.30am.

Cheers
    Scott.
  • Thank you to everyone who helped set up today. Special mention to Robert who zoomed off for more tape when we ran out.

The course looks awesome and more to the point, according those who rode it, it rides well too.

Please can the Core Team (you know who you are) arrive for 08:00 tomorrow to finish off. Sign on staff and catering team need to be in place for a 09:00 opening of the HQ.
  • even better course than last year; thanks to everyone who made it happen.
    cheers
    Simon
  • The CCA CX at Princess Helena College was, I think it is fair to say, a great sucess. I have received very favourable feedback. One injury to a Colchester rider, to whom we send our best wishes.

This event was the result of much hard work from many fulfilling roles covering marshalling, course building, catering, car parking and race admin. Thank you to all concerned.

Daniel
  • Daniel thanks for a wonderful event. It's a fantastic course and organization was really impressive. Great to have flame rouge and their jelly babies there too.
    Many thanks to all who helped out.
  • CCA at its best. Great day out.Thanks to every one who made it happen especially the core team.
  • did anyone pick up my red drinking bottle holder from the gazebo? plus my thermal mug (silver with blue plastic)?
  • I think I have these Claire. (Soreen bars as well?)
  • edited October 2016
    Fun day out - great venue and atmosphere

• Ditto Stuart, Pretty darn good course ;-)
  • edited October 2016
    Top event - thanks to Daniel, Pete and the team.
    My first CX experience - thanks for the encouragement and support.
  • I'll third that. From the planning to the way it was run on the day - it was all fantastic. While I was a bit disappointed with my ride, the fault was all mine - the course itself was great; varied, interesting and challenging.

Thanks to all involved in making it such a good day.
  • Really great event, with a course that had everything - mind you, whoever was responsible for the second chicane through the woods (after the log jump) needs sorting out (Richard...) - couldn't find a line through that! Great fun. Thanks to everyone who helped make it happen.
  • Not sure anyone could Iain. Just made everyone realise their limitations. Collective self loathing every lap. Genius.
  • edited October 2016
    Cracking day! Massive thanks and applause to everyone who organised the event and all the stoic marshalling, coordinators, cake and tea makers, lap and finish counterers etc etc. I overheard many people say how impressive they thought everything was.

The course was excellent and an improvement on last year. The pebbles! Evil! They nearly done me in every lap. Bomb hole.. officially fun. The big drop... terrifying. I hope that Colchester rider isn't in too bad a way. I had the CCA yoof posse laughing at me for using my brakes there. Gravity is kinder to them, they'll realise why in 10 years or so.

The Vets 40-49 race was a right workout. I think our dry conditions made it fast and bumpy. I had a shocking start. Flipping SPDs. I was behind Shelton for a while. He has amazing MTB control, and I followed his line for quite a while to get to grips with the course.

Started to get through the pack enough to see Vince briefly on his way to a storming ride for best CCA rider in our race. I think we all stayed upright? Iain suffered a mechanical on the tricky jumps.

There were so many skills on show. I got into a great scrap in the last two laps with Tim D who would deftly clip in and out, as though for fun, to max his turning circle on those surpassingly tough dusty tree bits post-crazy paving. It gave him the edge and I couldn't sprint through, as the pic above shows. Well done Tim.

Great action in the 50s Vets, and seniors races. I only caught the dust storm start of the seniors, and missed the Captain Chaos that occurred after the huge downpour. But there are some great photos already on the Eastern Cross Facebook page.

The youth racing was seriously impressive. A quick scan at the results: wow! The Club have got the skills. Well done to all the dedicated parents and Club coaches.

Who made the flapjacks? Extra syrupy. A triumph.

• Thanks to all involved, it was a great day out yesterday.

I had my best start to date and got in front of Martin and Shelton but when it got technical Shelton eased past me closely followed by Martin. The Wednesday night training session really paid off and where I would normally struggle with logs, hills and planks I was now moving up the field at the obstacles. A first for me! (Thanks Mark & Tim). As the race settled I found myself leading a group of four or five with the occasional swapping of places but I lost my chain in the ditch and with it a few places. Really had to work hard for the last 2 laps and I managed to get a couple of places back.

Can't wait for next week. I have the CX bug.

Dan.
  • Thanks to all. It was indeed a great day and a fantastic intro to 'cross racing.

I was somewhat disappointed to have been lapped, especially as I didn't notice it happening! Next time, I think I need to ride much more aggressively early on - possibly a bit more dismounting/re-mounting practice is in order too.

Especially nice to be welcomed by all the CCA crowd too - despite not managing to sort myself out with any CCA kit yet

Looking forward to the next one.

Mat
  • we need an expert to comment here but for those that chain drop it might be time to go for a single front chainring. this should stop the bother.
    also i hear from mtb riders that their rear mechs retain chain tension which would also help but the singe chainring is the key to avoiding this. i fitted a long reach cage which helps for wider gear ratios but notice the chain flaps about a lot and brings it closer to obstacles which is a bit high risk.
    the wider tyres i used yesterday (ie normal cross tyres) made a vast difference to what i used to ride (30s to 33s). Also the hand made Griffs felt the bizz.