Welcome to the forum

Sunday 9am

Comments

• @geoffg I take a bit of offence to your comments.. you will see that I have been trying to keep Sunday 9am rides alive... I went out from the tuns on my own last week as didn't want to let people down as I had posted I would. I am interested in the views of club members about what they might like to do- hence question asked? If in doing so we just get a response like yours then it does not promote our ability to adapt and develop as a club. I will continue to try to keep 9am rides on a Sunday going because I enjoy them and I would be happy to adapt these if the wider club has a view on what they would like from them.
  • edited November 2016
    understand and sorry it read wrongly. I know how much you have tried and it really is worth doing. Any club is based around the standard ride which needs to be accessible and friendly. Too long and new riders are uncertain and too fast and they shy away. You shouldn't have to take all the load and you need others in the club to join in and help. It's just that if you read back through the posts it seems a little disheartening. Keep working at it. In the early days we didn't have the web or forum to promote the club. We just chatted to others we saw out riding and turned up every week regardless so that anyone who wanted to ride could guarantee someone would be there. There are so many other options now the club has grown that the core ride and how important it is to the clubs health has been overlooked.
    This ride should be the automatic ride for youth transitioning into club riding with the adults. A wonderful way for all club members to get to know eachother.
    Also a great way back for those who lost fitness or had an injury they are recovering from. New adult riders who want to learn how to group ride and even racing riders could get a benefit from simply spinning and leading a slow recovery ride for them at the same time as helping the club start newer riders.
    Once again sorry for upsetting you and please keep pushing. However big and fit the club gets there is always a need for the base club ride.
  • Ok so back to some club riding. Sunday am 9am from le Tuns heading Langford, Shefford, Clappers, Lilley, etc. Back to Ashwell via Letchworth cum Baldock. Hopefully need more than a tandem to get us all round! Medium pace, about 45 miles with options to peel off or extend.
  • Good shout Sirlez! looks like its going to be a much nicer day tomorrow. I would join you but im in a likely very muddy field in Ipswich.
  • Sirlez, I'd like to come out and join you. I have one issue though, I'm struggling to find mudguards that will fit my bike. Happy to sit at the back and trundle a long with whoever's out?

Also if anyone has some advice on mudguards fittings for a Giant propel advanced send me a message.
  • I should be out tomorrow - not looking like rain, so mudflats might not be an issue
  • HMMM, I think with the amount of rain i'm hearing tonight, there'll be some spray. I'll just hang out at the back of the pack.
  • And spray there was @KC_stig and @JonathanS ! That said three out is a 50% upward swing which is to be celebrated. It was actually a glorious morning and we posted 45 miles on the nose at 16's.
  • Spray, what spray - I didn't notice a thing ;-)
    A perfect December ride, apart from the rather nasty Sharpenhoe Clappers
  • lovely day. well done all. Build it and they will come!
  • i will not be able to join the 9am tomorrow. @JonathanS will you post a route?
  • I'll be out tomorrow - working off a mild hangover
    Easy 16's reverse "two bridges" (up Hexton on fixed?) or we could do the Whitwell loop - depends on who's there. See you tomorrow
  • Will be out tomorrow - see you at the Tuns..
  • 4 out this morning for an extended two bridges taking in Cardington and then over to Hitchin for a coffee at Kinetic Cycles. Good show all!
  • Good ride this morning and nice to see Strappy out on a bike again
  • Mc

yes good to be back out on the bike only 2nd ride in months could only manage 35mls @ 15.8 so still a long way to go ,as for my hand after the second stint in the splint I finally got it off and the caught an infection in it, its still swollen but at least I can squeeze it into a glove now.

I will back on the 9.00 run as soon as I can. HOPE YOU ALL HAVE GREAT XMAS AND NEW YEAR.
  • What are the views on an earlier start time to the regular Sun AM ride, would that get more people out?
  • I can do 8 am if an earlier ride will generate more takers
  • Whatever works. Keen to see more than @JonathanS 's rear end so if 9am works so be it....
  • I'll be out tomorrow - see you all at 9am
  • A few badges earned today...! Hope Ian and Jez got home ok.
  • @Tim Duckett was a star and safely recovered both Ian and I. Nice to see so many out- shame it ended in carnage. However there is something to be said for overtaking a group with no chain or derailleur powered only by @JonathanS ' push!
  • Thanks for all the assistance today fellas and massive thanks to Tim for driving out to pick us up! Bit stiff now and seemed to have developed a third butt cheek...could have been a lot worse though. Jez - hope you and your bike recover well!
  • Epic shoving up the bridge into Whitwell! Also a first time riding alongside a tandem :-)

Glad to hear you're both ok. Bar the unfortunate episode, was a good ride. Cheers chaps.
  • Bike still not fixed, new bike (justified on the back of sympathy) not yet delivered- not willing to expose my summer drive train to Hertfordshire's finest grit! Up shot- I'm not out
  • @Sirlez Glad that you're on the mend and N+1 is on the cards.
    Weather looks truly grim tomorrow - even so, I'll be there for the 9am ride [need to keep the momentum going], possibly quite a short one.
  • Goodness! That was cold and wet; went out on my own - 30 mile loop south. Need better gloves and shoes if this kind of weather continues. See you all next week
  • Should be back in the game by then!
  • It will be cold tomorrow but perhaps not quite as bad as today.. obvs @JonathanS will be there to maintain his Sunday performance for the year- others?
  • I'm aiming to Ride tomorrow, Cold weather or not. Getting seriously out of practice.