Welcome to the forum

Belgium Sept 2018

Comments

• Hi Graham - I've sent you ferry/hotel details through the forum.

Anyone else wanting to ride to Belgium and needing details: let me know.
  • Yes I am OK to do the trip. I would like to ride over so if I can arrange to leave a bag with
    The group driving it would be useful.
  • Yes: I should have said... For those riding to Diksmuide, we will arrange a bag drop-off a day or two before the ride, to put into one of the cars.

We only need to ride with the essentials, what's needed for the overnight in Calais, and the next morning's ride to Diksmuide.
  • Great. Thankyou ! Anyone wanting to ride back I will be on the bike. Again anyone kind enough to take my kit bag that would be great and I will collect from Ashwell Lets hope for kind weather
  • Hi all. I've emailed everyone who wants to come - thanks to those who've paid deposits - if not pay up now to secure a place.

Also please note no more space on this trip as it stands... unless you want to cycle both ways ... or if you are prepared to drive over and give people a lift as we are constrained on spaces in cars to get people back.
    can run a waiting list though as things do change...
    thanks
  • Anyone wanting to ride both ways can join me on the return but I will start back Sunday morning to get back to Ardeley -Ashwell Sunday evening Steady ride but keep going
  • Hi all - thanks for all the replies and deposits.
    All looks good - all who have requested they want to ride out and get a lift back - this should be possible.
    Plenty planning to ride both ways so should be a group heading back too.

Will confirm details later, bit tied up at the moment, but all good.

• Hi, below is where I think we are right now. If anything changes please let me know, as planning logistics on this trip can be a bit tricky. Thanks.

Driving: Stef, Andrew R, Paul S.
    Car both ways: MC, Geoff, Vic, John R.

Ride over, car back: Andy R, Neil R, Martin L, Taff, Vince, Graham (could ride/train back if necessary)

Ride both ways: Will, Martin H, Steve J (?), Harvey123.

Tripe or twin: MC, Martin L, Vince
    Twin: Will, Martin H, Andy R, Neil R, Taff, Graham
    Everyone else single rooms.

If I've got anything above wrong let me know.
  • Many thanks Stef. Looking forward to this. A long time since I have ridden these routes. Chapeau to those riding out and more so to those riding both ways.
  • Thanks Stef.

Dear Diksmuide riders...

If you are riding to Diksmuide, you need to do these three things:

1. Book your ferry
    P&O ferry, Dover to Calais. Single trip.
    http://www.poferries.com/en/dover-calais
    Select Thursday 20 September 2018
    Select bicycle as transport.
    Select a STANDARD-FLEXI ticket: that gives us options for earlier/later ferry, depending on our arrival in Dover.
    Select the 7.15pm ferry.

2. Book your Calais hotel
    We are all going for the Hotel Meurice Calais. Note: Bikes can be put safely in their basement. The breakfast is OK there.
    Easiest to book through booking.com: http://www.booking.com/Share-3Un72w
    Looking for a room buddy to share? Put the word out by email/forum, and/or note it on the doodle poll below that you’re looking for a room buddy.

3. Tick the boxes on this doodle poll
    …So we know you’re coming and sorted on ferry and hotel:
    https://doodle.com/poll/eru5xwckpusze9yb

We will leave from the Three Tuns, Ashwell, 8am, Thurs 20th Sept.
    Pack an overnight bag and what you need for the Calais-Diksmuide ride.
    Think about a pannier/rack thing.
    Remember your passport.
    The Ashwell-Wells ride, Friday 7th Sept, is not a bad rehearsal for spending a long day on a bike.
  • Hi Guys,

It would be great to come along, I'll cycle from Ashwell with Martin etc. Single room would be amazing if still possible.

Cheers

Jim
  • Hi Jim
    I understand from talking to Martin H that you would like to ride their and back, is that right? If so then yes their is a space.
    Cheers
    Stef
  • Hi Jim (and anyone else who is riding to/from Diksmuide)

Follow the 3 steps noted above to sort out the Dover ferry, and hotel in Calais.

And adjust accordingly if you're riding back.

Looking forward to a great club weekend. I am especially looking forward to the cafe stop-off at beautiful Bergues.

• Stef, any plans for a Belgium 2018 club jersey or is it down to numbers?
  • Hi Paul. I'm too busy to sort jerseys to be honest, snowed under at the moment. if anyone else wants to arrange and there is interest then go for it. i am not sure what the minimum order size / costs are these days so you'd need to research.
  • Jim Rees - not heard back from you - are you a definite for Belgium or not?
    The hotel is actually now full so will need to sort you a room in a different hotel if you are coming. Need a deposit too. Cheers
  • Stef...since I cannot now make this as you know surely Jim can have the room that I would have used
  • Thanks Geoff but we had a loose arrangement with the hotel on rooms as our numbers kept fluctuating, and they have only just got back to me to tell me they have max 10 rooms. So still one short if Jim is coming. Unless someone who has asked for a single is prepared to share of course?
  • Hi Stef,
    As it happens, it looks like Jenny and I are going to be travelling around Belgium for the week leading up to your weekend in Diksmuide - we'd love to join you all for the big ride on Saturday - do you think it would be possible to add us for the dinner as well please? Sorry if that's a pain (we're fine for accomodation, though)...
    Thanks,
    Dave.
  • Hi All,

Is there a plan to meet up at the next club nite to discuss final arrangements?
  • Hi Jenny and Dave - yes of course, will be great to see you. Will add you to the dinner reservation.
    Will send the Saturday route nearer the time.

Martin H - I cant make next club night but agree would be a good place for all those riding over/back to catch up. I will send final details on everything else and routes for the rides from Diksmuide nearer the time by email or forum.
  • Brilliant, thanks Stef! Very excited about it, never ridden in Belgium before - anyone got any recommendations of other areas of Belgium/Netherlands to ride around? We have a blank slate (and a camper van) for the week at the moment - we'd like to see some of the coastal towns, but also maybe some lumpier regions elsewhere...
  • Hi all

I will try and make the Club Night, 4th Sept. Let's go to the Three Tuns, Ashwell. I can cover off any questions and bag-drop off logistics for those riding to Diksmuide.

Ahead of Stef's confirmed routes, I can also cover off a general overview of the itinerary for Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning's rides. I'll bring my maps. I love a map.

To get a flavour of the area, catch the Great War Remembrance Race highlights on Eurosport right now. They ride all around where we'll be riding.

Dave... I think most people would agree that Oudenaarde is a great place to base yourself for further exploration of the area. It's a lovely little town like Diksmuide but with a Tour of Flanders museum. It's near loads of the classic bergs. You could tick loads off on a good day on the bike.

I've got this book if you want to borrow it: Hellingen.

I see the official Tour of Flanders sportive is running a summer edition from Ghent on the Sunday we are over in the region. It could be something to consider joining. Or you could use the route to improvise your own ride and pick off some of the classic climbs.

sport.be/vlaanderensmooiste/2018/en/parcours/#5460152

You'll love it!
  • Agree with Martin - plus for the coastal bit you can ride along the seafront pretty much the whole way from Dunkirk to Ostende. At times you are on bike paths next to the beach - not fast but nice views and lots of places for a coffee/lunch. The section between De Panne and Nieuwport is one of the best.
  • Stef and Martin - thank you for the tips. That's so useful to have a few points to start to plan our trip. And Martin - yes please for the loan of the book!
  • Jim Rees - there is now a single room available as someone else had to pull out. Can you let me know asap if you want it or not, and confirm if you riding over/back, thanks.
    If anyone sees Jim on a ride can they check his plans and let me know please?

Will email everyone on the trip next week to confirm details.
  • edited September 2018
    A note to those riding to Diksmuide on Thurs 20th Sept...

Paul S has kindly agreed to pick up your weekend bag that will be driven to Diksmuide on Tuesday 18th Sept. At the Three Tuns. I'll suggest 8.30pm. This is also a chance for any Belgium trippers to convene on any questions over a quick drink.

If you're going to struggle to make that day/time, get in touch and you can drop off your bag at my house and I'll take it down to the Three Tuns for you.

Paul will liaise with the other drivers on whether he takes all the bags or divides them - to ensure there's adequate room for bikes and people for those needing a lift back.

Thank you
  • Cheers Paul/Martin

I'll aim to be at the Tuns around 8:30pm. Guessing there wouldn't be a problem bring the bags back, as I plan on riding back with Will and Martin H.
  • No problem with the baggage taking a return trip with me. Once we're back i'll bring them into my office in Letchworth which is a couple of minutes from Sainsburys. I dare say they'll be nothing anyone needs to pick up urgently, so collect at your leisure. I'll let you know my mobile no. in Belgium, so just give me a call before you come along to collect.
  • thanks Paul. I'll also aim to be there Tues 18th 8:30 Tunns so we can share the bags between two cars if necessary.