Welcome to the forum

Ashwell - Wells-Next-The-Sea Classic, Fri 6 Sept 2019

2»

Comments

• Can't wait, good numbers... Only just secured child care.. was a close call!

Need to focus on the transportation of beer now!
  • Not able to do this now, unfortunately.
  • Just a reminder that I’m not there on Friday for this unfortunately and I don’t think my mates from SCC are around either . For the 200 milers, rolling through will give you free speed with no extra effort when you settle in to it, so make sure you keep doing that if you want to get back before 10pm! Have fun!
  • Unable to join in this year as my son is moving to Melbourn on Friday! Have a great + safe ride 👍
  • edited September 2019
    Wells riders... Here's to a 4-day week.

We're all pretty much sorted...

Morning
    Rhubarb & Mustard are opening up especially early and welcome us for coffee There's a loo there too. Please buy a coffee and support local Ashwell business. They will be open from 8am.

Lunchtime
    For our usual stop off around Narborough, 70ish miles in, we appear to be having pork pie carrying logistical issues. So, in a break from tradition, I am proposing we stop off for a break at the Stag Inn, in West Acre, less than 3 miles past Narborough. A chance for a pit-stop, half a bitter and bag of crisps. Matt S spotted this hidden gem and will do some snooping on snack arrangements on our behalf. Leave some room for fish and chips.

End of ride
    And The Fenman pub in King's Lynn, opposite the train station home, welcome us. They will lay on a spread of sandwiches and various breadcrumbed novelty snacks. The perfect way to refuel after 123 miles. They've said their backyard is now refurbed, so we can keep our bikes extra safe. Let's bring a lock or two.

The weather forecast at the moment is OK. As it stands, we should be able to ride all together in one group all the way, and not split, which will be nice.

If you fancy the Classic, or the madness of the there-and-back ride: let us know any time beforehand or simply rock up on the day.

Classic:
    Martin L
    Graham A
    Matt S
    Stephen O
    Stef
    Paul B
    MC
    Ryan
    John H
    Jeremy P
    Vince
    Taff

Wells and back (Three Tuns, 6am):
    Toma
    Keith
    Rob B
  • + Andy R (classic)
    + Neil R (classic)

Hope you won't mind our company?!
  • Weeeey, good to have you both on board!
  • Am thinking about joining too!
  • Martin. I have decided to do the classic on Friday Dolomites the following weekend so perhaps a bit too much beforehand and there is a strong 15 mph headwind forecasted forthe return. See u at 8 Friday
  • A reminder of the Classic route:
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28509468

'Harvey' - see you on the Classic then. I wonder if there-and-back riders come with us and make a decision on whether to go for it or not when we go past Great Massingham: deciding whether or not to ride 15 miles to King's Lynn, or 75 back to Ashwell. Just a thought.

Classic (coffee at Rhubarb & Mustard 8am):
    Martin L
    Graham A
    Matt S
    Stephen O
    Stef
    Paul B
    MC
    Ryan
    John H
    Jeremy P
    Vince
    Taff
    Andy R
    Neil R
    Carmelo?
    Keith

Wells and back (Three Tuns, 6am):
    Toma
    Rob B
  • Martin, I'll join the Classic now as well, only 2 for the return doesn't feel like much of a club ride anymore :-)
    we can plan a Wells and back trip, when more people are up for it, some other time
  • @Toma_M speak to @Steve J about his little solo return trip a couple of years back. Belting it down into a headwind for 100 miles after riding all the way up there. It takes a certain mentality...
  • I’m unable to do Wells now (John H I assume) - but the Nomads have just done Hunstanton, a few weeks ago, & Wells last Saturday - which I did. We used a 16 seater mini-bus for the return. It took 10 riders & bikes with some seats taken out. The driver was v. careful in loading the bikes & had pipe insulation to protect them. It cost £20 per head & saved a lot of faffing around at the station & uncertainty about getting back. It was booked from ‘Station Taxis Kings Lynn’ 07591951501 & driver was Joe. Worth considering for Friday or future trips.
  • Martin , checked the website this morning to find out I was riding there and back on my own ,didn't fancy that . first time in years I haven't done this ride, looks like I'll be staying at work (Bertie no mates ) .
    rob
  • Hey Rob...why not just do the classic route out with the club and enjoy a pint at the end...
    Have a great ride guys...sorry to be missing this.
  • geoffg . The ride down to the coast is fine the ride back to the railway station is fine
    just trying to catch the train I don't like .
    I'II leave it this year .
    rob
  • Just a quick update from last week… Around 15-18 of us set off to Wells. Rhubarb & Mustard were brilliant at the start and pepped us with fresh coffee. The forecast was potentially for big rain. I had togged up for a repeat of 2017’s trip. Others were much lighter in gear.

As it was, it was dry as we set off. We were a bit stretched out on the A1198. One or two guys not used to riding in a group perhaps. But everyone accommodated. We had a light shower in Bourn to refresh us, but then it remained dry all the way to Ely, more or less.

We had a strong tailwind. This would be our fastest ever trip - ultimately getting to Wells at over 18mph. Good bants all the way. It was nice to catch up with Jeremy and Neil, down from the Lakes and the Midlands respectively - especially for today.

In Ely, met up with Stef and Paul. Stef had been off the bike - and walking too for some weeks! - for a while, so I was impressed he was diving right back in for 130 miles. We blew the doors off the local Cafe Nero, dodging all the wealthy retired folk checking up on their shares and savings and got out of Dodge towards Ten Mile Bank.

We were tonking along now. The weather was improving too. We picked up a couple of punctures. We’d later have several more, but it never mattered.

A highlight was to pass Narborough, without much love lost, and find ourselves in The Stag Inn at West Acre - a quaint village with an ancient cathedral ruin that Toma Tourism Inc. reviews as “OK”. The landlady was brilliant at getting us served quickly with drinks and sandwiches. Very much a local’s pub. Matt S had done well to brief her beforehand about our arrival. We’ll go there again.

I’d opted for pork scratchings here and so re-salted, we ticked off the last 20 miles to Wells, splitting into two groups to please everyone’s pace. Holkham is always a nice way to finish the ride to the coast.

At Wells, the heavens opened, big time. We were so lucky to sit out the squall in the chippy and adjacent cafe until it stopped and glorious sunshine came through. The rain had taken the stuffing out of the wind as well and we enjoyed an easier time of things heading for King’s Lynn.

Obvs, the wet roads brought out a lot of sticky flints, so we had more punctures. But it was warm and sunny and everyone was enjoying chatting to each other - as this ride is very good at offering.

Things splintered at the very end as the burn up began on the straight road that is used for the King’s Lynn CC Road Race. We caught up with Vince, who had worked til lunchtime then hopped on the train to King’s Lynn to meet us. I see we were tipping the scales on Strava as we blasted through segment after segment towards the Fenman pub. Others behind took it easier or dealt with punctures.

We all arrived at the Fenman to be met by the welcoming staff there, and a wide spread of starch, refined flour and mechanically extracted meat-based produce. Perfect after our epic day. We also celebrated Matt S and Stef’s birthday.

Some got away early, whilst most of us jumped on the 7.44pm train back. The journey is great for sunsets with Norfolk’s big open sky offering an uninterrupted view.

2020 will be the 10th edition of this Classic. I’m thinking of doing something a bit special, or maybe just keep it exactly as it is. I’ve pencilled in Friday 4 September 2020 for the next one, but this will be TBC, as that week includes the bank holiday Monday - and also there are mootings about a trip back to Belgium next year too, so want to ensure there’s no clash.

Meanwhile, other 2020 dates to note…

3 Cafes Classic - Friday 20th March 2020. The hard 118-mile ‘Classic season opener’ to Suffolk and back.

Tour of Malta (Elite/Masters/Ladies/Junior 4-stage GC race) 2-5 April 2020. But you’ll ideally need to minimum fly out Tues 31 March - and fly back Mon 6 April 2020.

Finally... good luck to all the team going to Italy. Have a brill time.

• Thanks Martin, awesome ride as always. A great route - flat and tailwinds help, but as usual the CCA camaraderie and supportive environment means its a long ride anyone can do. Looking forward to the 10 year special!