MC
    Vince
    Steve J

The Gilbert
    Skelders
    Geoff G
    Matt S
    Andrew R

Still sort of looking for another driver. An alternative way back is for some to take the Gent-Calais train, then Dover train back. Gent is only 20 miles from Oudernaarde.

Meanwhile, here's a draft route for Calais-Oudernaarde, taking in Bergues, the Saint-Sixtus trappist brewery (though it will probably be closed), and the Menin Gate in Ypres.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32051910
  • edited March 2020
    General update...

I have booked twin rooms for everyone at the Hotel Leopold in Oudenaarde for the Friday and Saturday.

I have also booked accommodation for all Boonen and Merckx riders in Calais at the Hotel Meurice for the Thursday. I have requested 2 Single Beds for each room... fingers crossed they have enough twin rooms! This accommodation works out currently at £36.30 per person. Nothing is pre-paid: we will pay at the hotel.

If more people want to join: do let us know really soon, as we want to finalise driving back options and need to know final numbers.
  • edited March 2020
    Boonen and Merckx riders... Calais Hotel Meurice update... We all have single beds. Hooray.

We have booked 3 classic rooms, 4 superior rooms and 2 deluxe rooms. The prices vary, but I will suggest we simply divide the total cost between us. From memory, there isn't much difference between room type. Cost works out as 44 Euros each. (£38 approx).

Breakfast is 14 Euros (approx £12).
  • Brilliant, thanks Martin. I get my new bike which should be very suitable for the trip on Thursday - plan to do some big training rides over the summer for anyone interested (will update nearer the time!)
  • Planet X offer on Handlebar bag.. be quick.. https://www.planetx.co.uk/deals/q/deal-BAPODWHBB
  • Hopefully we will be able to get out there in September. Since most hotels and borders are closed have you any provisional thoughts or proposals? Presumably we ought to still pay a deposit or maybe that is now an irrelevance.
    Hope you are all well in the club.
    We are fine upon the farm in Durham.
    I'm just back from 2weeks cycling in sunny almeria. Got the last flight back and now self isolating.
    Lambing is well underway so everyone very busy.
  • Yes certainly still planning for this trip on assumption it will go ahead. Martin and I have been making bookings. Will post next week on costs and requirement for a deposit.

All the plans are detailed above Geoff if you look back on the thread. Nothing has changed.
  • Great stef. MC Alistair and i are going via hull zebrugge and cycling to oodenarde. Ian Clarke might be interested so could take Jeremy's place. He'll join us for hull zebrugge route if so. That's 4 less for cars. We'll only need to pay for accommodation and not the ferry crossing or fuel allowance.
  • I saw Ian & Jane Clarke in Italy with their kids skiing this year (pre Corona).... small world!!
  • Hi Martin

Could I be added to the list as a Gilbert?

Can drive with a few bikes on the roof and put a seat or two down at the back for stuff as well

Would be good to have some fun to look forward to!

Cheers

JD
  • Small world indeed tim. Hope you are all okay.
  • edited March 2020
    Hi all. Just to confirm we are still planning for this trip to go ahead, as it is 6 months away and well beyond current restrictions. If things change we will reconsider.

Its now time to commit if you want to come by paying a deposit as Martin and I have started to make bookings. Please pay £50 deposit, by 12th April to secure a place.
    Do not transfer into the club account - I will send you and email with payment details. Think I have most peoples email addresses. If not will be in touch directly.

Everyone needs to pay a deposit, whether you are Tom, Eddie or Phil!

However please note:
    1) if the trip does have to be cancelled due to Covid all deposits will be refunded
    2) if you want to come but are struggling with money due to the Covid situation, send me an email or message on the forum and we'll sort something out.

At the moment everything looks good on planning and transport but will review in a month or so, once all deposits are in, and will be in touch with drivers etc to finalise plans nearer the time.

Final costs will be confirmed nearer the time but current conservative estimate:
    The Boonen £140 plus ferries, trains, Dover hotel, and meals and drinks
    The Merckx £250 plus ferry over, Dover hotel, and meals and drinks
    The Gilbert £250 plus meals and drinks.

Definitely something to look forward to! Cheers.
  • PS - welcome aboard James D, and thanks for the offer of driving, that really helps.
  • Thanks Stef but please remove your bank deets ASAP as we have been scammed in the past
  • Thanks James, have removed.
  • Now that Geoff, MC and Alistair are boarding the 12hr party boat on the North Sea, they have eased the pressure on the Merckx logistics. By my reckoning, everyone has a lift back from a Gilbert. Great!

Geoff: you make it sound like Jeremy has dropped out? If Ian doesn't inform us pronto if he's coming or not, he may have to make his own booking in Oudernaarde. But, there may be a spare bed too: it depends on confirming Jeremy.

In the meantime, I will reduce the booking in Calais by one twin room as MC and Alistair will now be sleeping in a windowless cabin deep in the ship's hull, feeling the waves batter the bow. As was what I went through in 1985. Never again.

The Boonen
    Will
    Jeremy
    Chris P
    Jenny
    Dave W
    Martin H
    MC (Hull Boonen)
    Alistair (Hull Boonen)
    Geoff G (Hull Boonen)

The Merckx
    Martin L
    Graham A
    Stef
    Paul B
    Taff
    Andy R
    Neil R
    Vince
    Steve J

The Gilbert
    Skelders (can carry 2-3 back)
    Matt S (can carry 1 back)
    Andrew R (can carry 2-3 back)
    James D (can carry 2-3 back)
  • Have sent out bank details for deposit by email or forum message. If you dont get them let me know. Thanks to those super efficient people who've paid already!
  • By the way - this trip is now full as per Martin's list above.
    But if you want to join get in touch or post here - we'll start a wait list and may be able to fit more in closer to the time when the dust settles.
  • Hi Martin. Thanks for the heads up. I've been in touch with stef. Ian's going to decide nearer the time so probably sort his own accommodation. Jeremy is still undecided as his back issue. I doubt that he'll be doing the boonen or merckx. It's more likely that he'll come with MC Alistair and me onthe hull zebrugge route.
  • Thanks to all who have paid deposits. Still a few outstanding, any problems let me know.
    Now looks like we can add watching the final stages of the TdF to the entertainment on this trip!
  • Hi all, hope you're well. Is there any current feeling for whether this trip will be going ahead?

Cheers!
  • "Is there any current feeling for whether this trip will be going ahead?".
    Obviously we cant be sure of anything, but I imagine the trip will be possible and that quite a few people will still want to go, although I appreciate plans will have changed for some. We may have to alter plans a bit too nearer the time depending on numbers and latest rules and regulations.

Good timing asking the question though as it is 3 months to go and we have to let the hotel know our plans to avoid cancellation charges. I will email everyone who signed up for the trip tomorrow to find out latest thoughts etc.
  • Have emailed everyone - please respond as soon as possible, end June latest.
    Thanks to all that have replied already!
  • Hey do we now need to book ferries? If so send details again.
    Dreading cycling over the Kent wields. My climbing is now abysmal.
    Tempted to set out an hour earlier than the fit ones to have more time south if Tilbury.

• Intact I might start tomorrow just to be sure.
  • edited August 2020
    FERRY

Ferry info for those riding to Calais...
    1. You need to book your own ferry
    2. Go to: http://www.poferries.com/en/dover-calais
    3. Choose SINGLE or RETURN depending on which version you're riding.
    4. Outgoing ferry: Thurs 17 Sept 2020
    5. Select 'Bicycle' on transport option
    6. Choose the Standard Flexi ticket option - just in case we get to Dover late.
    7. Choose the 19:10 Spirit of Britain ferry as your primary choice (arrives Calais 21:40).
    8. Bring a copy of your email confirmation with you on the trip.

ROUTES

Thurs 17 Sept 2020
    Ashwell-Dover
    (To Gravesend) https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27199819
    (To Dover) https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27200172

Fri 18 Sept 2020
    Calais-Oudernarde
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32051910

Sat 19 Sept 2020
    CCA Tour of Flanders
    106 miles, 6,500 ft climbing, 17 cobbled climbs, 5 cobbled street sections
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33560827

Here's your useful 'top tube list' of what's coming up on the big day across Flanders: miles, length, average gradient, max gradient...

• edited August 2020
    Brilliant, thanks Martin - Glad to hear we can still go ahead

@wilburtrump @JeremyP @davewells @Jenny what time shall we book for the ferry back? Cheers!
  • Cheers Chris. I know we're all looking forward to it. Except Vince, who is terrified by those short but awfully vertical climbs in the Kent Wolds.

Forgot to say all... Those riding to Calais, note that I believe we can kindly give our overnight stuff to Jenny who is driving to Dover - so we can keep our bikes light for the first leg. Note too though: you'll need to then ride the Calais-Oudernaarde leg the next day WITH all that gear.

• Mega! Can’t wait, can feel my legs burning already.
    Is cycling around the Kent downs a bit of a longer slog time wise?
  • edited August 2020
    Very excited. And I'm sure Vince won't have a problem with the Kent Wolds; he's always stronger than he says he is, and I've heard he's on a secret training camp in hilly Norfolk...😉
    Re baggage for first night: yes, if people can get their stuff together in advance, I'll pop up to Ashwell probably the night before and pick up the bags (just remember it needs to be bike-mountable for the from Dover onwards)- should save a kilo or two each for the Kent hill-efforts.
    Just a thought on ferry tickets- the difference between fixed and Flexi tickets is £60 each on a return- with frequency of ferries at every 1.5 hours, there's not all that much flexibility on times anyway- for two of us that's quite a big saving (and Jenny driving doesn't really need flexibility) - I'm inclined to take a bit of a gamble, and if needs be buy a new ticket if we get horrifically delayed and miss the slot...
    Full ToF route looks epic- we've not done the whole thing in one day before, that is going to be some day out..!