Welcome to the forum

Ashwell - Wells-next-the-Sea Classic 2021, Fri 10 Sept 2021

Comments

• Does Days sell coffee?
  • Bringing this ride to the top, in case anyone has missed it. Not long to go now. Long-long range weather forecast suggests we might get one of those nice Septembers. We deserve one.

We've got a good group already - but let us know here if you fancy joining.

A reminder too that we should split into two groups to get to Ely Cathedral. Ideally even numbered. That way, we are less of an obstacle with the morning traffic. Thereafter, the lanes get very quiet and we should be fine as one autobus.
  • I am coming!
  • I have friend from Cambridge joining, Tania Wicklow.
  • Martin L
    Graham
    Martin H
    MC
    Robert B
    Matt S
    Paul S
    David M
    Toma
    Matt Palmer
    Phil K
    Alistair
    Mat Porter
    Chris L
    Dan H
    Stef
    Chris P
    Louie
    Carmelo
    Tania

Remember to add your West Acre pub stop food choice here:
    https://forum.ccashwell.co.uk/discussion/8266/the-wells-ride-lunch-thread

Ely for morning coffee around 40 miles. West Acre is about 70 miles deep. Wells - for fish and chips if you fancy - is around the 95 marker.

Likely we will just meet outside the Three Tuns in Ashwell and set off 8.30am. If anyone wants to kickstart with a coffee - Days on the High Street is open from 7.30am.

Here's the full route:
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28509468
  • James @James D I have you down for lunch but not on Martin's list above. Assume you are defo coming?
  • Martin L
    Graham
    Martin H
    MC
    Robert B
    Matt S
    Paul S
    David M
    Toma
    Matt Palmer
    Phil K
    Alistair
    Mat Porter
    Chris L
    Dan H
    Stef
    Chris P
    Louie
    Carmelo
    Tania
    Will R
    James D
  • I should be there Matt subject to not falling apart from the ride I am doing the day before.
  • The Wells ride is this Friday 10th Sept. I look forward to it. Let us know if you plan to join.

We set off for Ely in two even numbered groups a minute apart from the Three Tuns Ashwell 8.30am. Front group: rest up by the side of the cathedral, behind the cafes and shops. We can ride as one group thereafter.

Martin L
    Graham
    Martin H
    MC
    Robert B
    Matt S
    Paul S
    David M
    Toma
    Matt Palmer
    Phil K
    Alistair
    Mat Porter
    Chris L
    Dan H
    Stef
    Chris P
    Louie
    Carmelo
    Tania
    Will R
    James D
    Vince F
  • Vince, can we assume you’ll be bring another musical instrument on this outing. Maybe a trombone this year....!
  • Shame u won't be there MC.
  • Yeah sorry to hear about your back MC, hope you feel better soon!

All, i'm planning to try and get to Ashwell nice and early for a coffee, make the most of the day, so i'll see you there :awesome:
  • If anyone needs new bib shorts or a jersey before the Wells ride let me know, I have stock in most sizes.
  • T-minus two days to Wells. All systems nominal. We are Go for launch.

To Dan's kit shout-out: it would be good if we could all wear CCA kit, or at least some kinda blue kit, as I've found the more coordinated a peloton is, the more respect it gets on the road.

The Fenman pub opposite King's Lynn station welcome us again with open arms. We have to stagger ourselves on the trains back home, so those that don't need to rush off can sit things out here. As usual, they say it's fine to put our bikes in the backyard. They will put on a bit of a buffet for us - help yourselves. They say they are low on draught bitters but know we like that American-style IPA on tap and have that. Well remembered Fenman! Note: they do carry-out for the train ride. Use your Look Keo cleats to open the bottle tops. Here, let me show you...

We also have not one, not two, but at least three birthdays to celebrate on this ride. Two of which are 'big' birthdays.

I will ask Vince to bring his bugle. We can share carrying it.

We set off from Ashwell's Three Tuns at 8.30am. See you well before then. Call/message if you have any issues - 07977652247. We will split into two even-numbered groups to Ely. Front group: park up to the side of the cathedral, behind Cafe Nero and the shops. Bring yer little masks.

Any last-minute or on-the-day riders are all very welcome. CCA or not.

Full route:
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28509468

Martin L
    Graham
    Martin H
    Robert B
    Matt S
    Paul S
    David M
    Toma
    Matt Palmer
    Phil K
    Alistair
    Mat Porter
    Chris L
    Dan H
    Stef
    Chris P
    Louie
    Carmelo
    Tania
    Will R
    James D
    Vince F
  • Cheers Martin, good work with the Fenman!

Looks like an experienced group above but a reminder to keep riding tight, especially on the Arrington road. Roads are busy again!!

Looking forward to Friday.
  • Don't forget lights everyone.
  • Do people usually get off the train at Ashwell as i'd go back to Letchworth, is that awkward?
  • Chris...i got off at royston once....i think i got away with it...no rules mate...
  • Depends on the train connections at the time. Some won't stop at Ashwell.
  • edited September 2021
    Ah, trains. Good question.

Try and buy your tickets in groups of 4 for a discount. We should technically get 2 bikes per carriage on a train. In some years we've done more than that. It's all at the station master's discretion - so be courteous and we should all be fine.

The quickest trains from King's Lynn involve a change at Cambridge to get to Royston (approx 1hr 30 mins journey total) and Letchworth (approx 1hr 45 mins journey total).

Some who need to get back to Ashwell will ride the 9 miles or so from Royston. Or, wait around 10 minutes at Royston station for the following train to Ashwell (and Baldock).

The key trains from King's Lynn...
    5.40pm
    6.44pm
    7.40pm
    8.44pm
    9.44pm
  • Chris, if you have a network rail card it's the same as getting a group save ticket. I'm getting off a Hitchin, and will get a later train with the other pub stragglers !
  • Last year there was the Tour de France highlights at the Fenman.
    This year we’ve got the ToB ! Highlights 8-9 on itv4 for those sticking around (so long as the regulars aren’t watching Doc Martin, or Dinner Date, on the other channels!)
  • edited September 2021
  • edited September 2021
  • Bit of a late entry....... but I got a free pass! See you in the morning.
  • Martin L
    Graham
    Martin H
    Robert B
    Matt S
    Paul S
    David M
    Toma
    Matt Palmer
    Phil K
    Alistair
    Chris L
    Dan H
    Stef
    Chris P
    Louie
    Carmelo
    Tania
    Will R
    James D
    Vince F
    Taff

Looks like to Ely it’s one group of 10 and another of 12. See ya soon.
  • Seriously we don’t need a bugal
  • Nothing metal....a spot of lighting forecast from 3pm onwards....so maybe bring a clarinet !
  • Bugal required to announce our arrival (and swift departure) of Narborough!
  • Sorry, but I have to flake on the Wells ride. I'll call The Stag and cancel my lunch order. Have a good ride. Weather looks ok. David