Welcome to the forum

CCA 3-Cafes Spring Classic, Friday 15th March 2024, 8.30am

edited February 5 in General

Hi all

You can keep your so-called Tour of Flanders... The annual '3 Cafes' CCA Spring Classic ride over to Maglia Rosso, with the Blue Egg and Saffron Walden Costa either side, is on Friday 15th March 2024. 8.30am departure from Ashwell.

All welcome - CCA members or not.

A great early-season challenge. The daffodils will be out and there'll be a hint of warmth in the air. Everyone who does it gets a 25mm D-pin metal badge of honour.

Route:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31756457

Please let us know if you plan to ride on this forum. There is no cut-off date though. You can just turn up on the day.

Here is the Maglia Rosso lunch menu. It helps to speed up things if we pre-order. The menu has been on their website for a while so the prices might be a bit out of date.

Place your Maglia Rosso lunch order by clicking HERE.

Along the way back through Saffron Walden, we can mourn the loss of the Bicicletta cafe, one of the O.G. cafe stops, which is now a waffle house.

Comments

• I'm I'll sort the menu ;-)

mc
  • I'm up for this. Looking forward to it!
  • I'm in too.
    And shocking Bicicletta news.
  • Count me in
  • Martin L
    M.C.
    Brendan
    Tim A
    Carl O
  • Might be struggling to get approval for this, Same time as my wedding anniversary....

Is this a week early this year?
  • Bring to top - please could you make this one sticky Martin?

mc
  • Martin L
    M.C.
    Brendan
    Tim A
    Carl O
    Taff

Hi Taff, and anyone else who might be pressed for time, consider the regular trains from Bury St Edmunds (our furthest point and just 5 miles from lunch-stop Maglia Rosso). The train to Cambridge takes 40 mins.

I'd hope we'd get back to Ashwell around 6-6.30pm, judging from previous rides.

It may feel like a week early this year. I go for the day before the Milan-San Remo classic. Blame the Italians.
  • Dare I say, I might have a pop at this this year... I haven't ridden a bike in a couple of months but will be getting back on it for a bit over the next few weeks. Will see how I'm doing, but would be nice to get some miles in my legs.
  • All of a sudden… this ride is just a few weeks away.

Albeit we should be back to ashwell before dark, remember to bring lights.

Martin L
    M.C.
    Brendan
    Tim A
    Carl O
    Taff
    Will
  • yes please, Martin.
  • Martin L
    M.C.
    Brendan
    Tim A
    Carl O
    Taff
    Will
    Jon S
  • edited March 7
    3-cafes Classic ride reminder... this is fast approaching.

Drop your name in here if you are coming. And give us your Maglia Rosso lunch order by clicking HERE.

We set off at 8.30am. Let's meet outside the Ashwell Three Tuns pub. I don't think there's enough of us to ask Rhubarb & Mustard to open early for coffee. But note Days bakery one minute away opens like 7.30am.

See you soon.
  • I'm possibly a doubt for Friday. I've been off my bike for a week, and still don't feel well.
    When is the food order going in? Perhaps I should cancel and make a separate order if I decide to go closer tot he time.
  • edited March 11
    Hi Brendan
    Fingers crossed you pick up by Friday.
    I won't submit our order until Wednesday.
    Pre-ordering isn't essential - it just speeds things up a bit.

A reminder all - we set off this Friday 15th March, 8.30am from the Ashwell Three Tuns.
    Nice and steady pace.
    If you want lunch from Maglia Rosso - we like to send them the order in advance. Menu above, place your order by clicking HERE.

Martin L
    M.C.
    Brendan
    Tim A
    Carl O
    Taff
    Will
    Jon S
    Vince F
  • Hi all

See you tomorrow for a day of bicycle lols.

Maglia Rosso lunch - as only 4 have chosen to pre-book - I don't think we need to pre-warn them with our order. We can simply just order lunch like normal folk when we arrive.

All welcome. No pre-registering interest is required. Rock up to Ashwell Three Tuns and we leave at 8.30am. First stop: Blue Egg.

Martin - 07977652247
  • Cheers Martin see you tomorrow

mc
  • Guys it’s a bummer but I am going to join you to blue egg for breakfast and then turn back. I cannot afford the time for the full Monty.
    Will be good though.
  • It appears my trusty diesel engine has a leaky fuel tank and I don’t fancy riding back on my own into the window after a few miles so will give this a miss. Don’t wait up! Have a good ride
  • @Martin L thanks for sorting Marty - great day out and slept in until Saturday midday the next day!!!

We were very lucky with the weather too!

mc