Welcome to the forum

CCA Primavera RR 22nd May

2»

Comments

• Yes have been on to them and work won't be finished by Sunday but they have told me they will barrier it off and take down the traffic lights....so motorcycle outriders will hopefully help us there...

I will be there from 7.30am...James and Georgie set up by 8'ish if poss. Drivers by 8.30 to get signs on etc....marshals don't need to be there until 08.45..if you're driving to marshalling points you might want to bring picnic chairs etc ..

SEE YOU THERE!
  • If you are a marshall can you please 'sign in' when you get to Old Warden, just so we know you are there.
    If you are a marshall & are driving, can you please bring a broom to swwep the corners you are patrolling - Ta

Carmelo, who are setting out signs? What time is Paul arriving with the signage?
    Bring Hammers etc (Geoff can you bring my mallet from last year!)

Ta
    Trahern
  • Carmelo & Trahern,

I may be being a bit thick, but where is it set out where each of us marshalls should be? (Names not marshalling positions)

Darren
  • I am putting up some signage, but would be a help if there was one other so we could go in opposite directions from HQ. Was hoping Alec could give a hand with this, but is unable to be with us this year. Any vollenteers? I can supply hammers, electric screwdriver, screws etc. Please let me know so I am able to put everything together. Really do need two vehicles going opposite directions, especially if the signs arrive after 8.00am as last year.
  • Carmelo asked if I could help and said I'd be there at 7.30 Andy...see you then
  • Thanks Geoff, will bring everything needed.
  • ONCE AGAIN ON BEHALF OF TRAHERN AND MYSELF.....THANK YOU,THANK YOU,THANK YOU!!!!!!

Really mean it...well done to all...I know we say it every year but we thank EVERYONE involved...This event simply could not happen without your help..from drivers to marshals...refreshments to programme compilation,judges to finances...it all has to come from the club and although we had some issues this year things worked out in the end...JUST!!
    Congratulations to Josh for getting up there but well done to ALL our riders for giving it a go...it was great seeing a stronger CC Ashwell presence.....that was the most strung out finish I've ever seen there and it looked really tough...hard luck to Mark C for puncturing so early and to riders with other problems.....plenty more races to go...!!

We've made some more money for the club too so a job well done and the good name of the club continues to grow...
  • Well done to all the organisers and riders. It was a very tough day and was great to see the boys in blue battling it out. Well done Josh, but who was that chap who rode off the front from Cople? He must have had his shredded wheat.

It was pretty tough in the lead cars too when we hit that traffic jam, we all seemed to get away unscathed but it was a bit lively. I hope we didnt upset the residents of Old Warden too much!
  • yep well done to all who raced that looked nasty i was right not to enter that wind looked awfull.

from the marshall hiding behind the big tree in pub seating area in cardington shivering his nads off.
    strappy.
  • That's why you were hiding in a bush! Thanks Strappy and to all the long suffering marshalls. Thanks too to Carmelo and his whole team; stressful I am sure managing such as race with the circumstances we had on the day.

That hill! That wind!

Too old, too fat, too slow, too late.

Daniel
  • edited May 2011
    Daniel... Go long mate! The kids can't handle it.

(too boring for them!)
  • There's a very accurate write up on the Welwyn W site about the Primavera. In absence of having one of our own (unless I missed it!) here it is

The CC Ashwell road race took place on the Cardington/Cople circuit in sunny but breezy (well really windy actually) conditions on Sunday 22 May. Although six Welwyn riders were on the start sheet only five rode as George Farrell is recovering from a car inspired near complete nasal guillotine incident (I wonder if the driver or his insurance company know how much bikes can cost!).

Of the five, Josh Maynard was the man in form. Trying not to get enough points on his licence to become a second cat seemed to be harder than the actual race. With the wind the way it was, it was not a good day to attack early on and so it showed. The bunch just got smaller and smaller as the race progressed with riders being jettisoned all over the place. Those that had selected deep rims had a most exciting time with at least one rider ending his race with a face plant into the grass verge.

With Josh mostly at the head of the bunch taking two primes, that left Alex Anderson comfortably sitting in the bunch with Sam Gilzean while Henry Farrell and Colin Hodges, after their initial good position, slipping to the back. This situation remained the same until a lap to go when Alex went pop, shortly followed by Colin. Henry managed to hang in there until the final run in to the hill where the bunch - more like a not so large group of riders at this stage - split into three. Josh was in the initial split, Sam in the second and Henry in the third. A rider from the first, shot off at the bottom of the hill and managed to stay away to the finish where Josh managed a fine fifth (and his second cat licence). Sam finished towards the front of the second to get 13th with Henry finishing only slighly later.

This maybe the last time we will be able to race on this circuit as the Old Warden Parish council are complaining bitterly about road races going through their village. This is a trifle ironic as a Family Day at the nearby Shuttleworth Collection caused a traffic jam of nightmare proportions half way through the race. How the bunch managed to negotiate this I'll never know.