Welcome to the forum

Belgium 2011

edited March 2011 in General
By popular demand the Belgium Trip this year will be based at the same hotel in Diksmuide. The dates are Friday 16th to Sunday 18th September 2011 inclusive.

As usual we will be setting off early on Friday to ensure that we get a 40-50 mile ride in that afternoon, with the possibility of some history thrown in.

Saturday will be an all day affair with rides of varying lengths for all abilities.

Sunday will be the usual ‘recovery’ ride, again with some history thrown in, if people can stomach it.

Uniform for riding for the weekend is free for Friday, CCA Ashwell shirts on Saturday and ‘retro’ or ‘bad taste’ shirts on Sunday. However, Geoff, there is a limit.

The cost of the weekend includes half board, travel and tunnel costs. It will be in the region of £250 but this is purely an approximation and depends on hotel, diesel and currency changes. There will probably be a reduction for sharing but I can't give a figure at this stage.

If you wish to go on the trip, a £50 cheque payable to ‘R.J.Maynard’ secures your place. This is non-returnable I’m afraid as we incur costs up front.

For those of you with a fraud based disposition, the monies are paid into an account specially set up by me for cycling events and are open to examination on request.

I will be running informal Q&A sessions at the club pub nights throughout the summer and will do a presentation as last year closer to the date.

Stef has kindly stepped forward again this year to share the workload and we hope to put on an even better trip. The ‘court’ will be in operation and Martin is already dusting off his wig and gown.

Any questions? Please e-mail me on richard@ccashwell.com

Richard

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Great news...thanks to you both for taking this on again.
    I think you are being a little harsh Richard but accept it in the spirit I am sure you intended...see you in court this September I expect :-)
    Count me in for another extravaganza!!!
    Single room occupancy please....with an alarm clock set at the right time :-)
  • I will be there
    happy to take a car as usual
    4 people , 4 bikes

as long as you can not be prosecuted for the same crime two years running
    something about "natural justice" i think

James
  • trouble is James that the court officers have probably "lost" the case file so they won't have any "memory" of the past :-)
  • unfortunately I'm at a wedding that weekend :-(
  • I will go too please. Can take car - me plus 3 persons - not more than 2 bikes is best on roof of car. I have a wheel bag to bring spare wheels this time!
  • Me please, will share.
  • Book me in for a place, same as last year, single occupancy.
  • To ease the prosecutions burden on this years tour to belgium RJM and myself will be seeking suitable applicants from members of the tour party to become Covert human intelligence Sources (CHIS) all applicants will be dealt with in the utmost confidence and receive suitable training and support.

In plain english if you feel you can 'grass' up a few friends and colleagues for the inevitable crimes they will commit this could be the job for you.

On a cautionary note becoming a CHIS does not mean the court can condone any action where you aide, assist or abet any offence deemed punishable by the court. It is also the function of the court to draw your attention to acts where it may be considered your actions were considered as that of an 'agent provocateur', this type of underhand activity will not be tolerated however under certain exigenencies may be deemed admissable.

Applicants in the first instance should reply to RJM via the usual channels.

MJH (Prosecution counsel)
  • all grasses will be found and buried
    Ronnie + bro
  • I agree
    whilst "the coppers" do a good job of organising
    the "robbers" must protect the manor
    so whisper ronnie or me if you want to join

I think "slasher" Carmello can not make it

no one with "coppers" names need apply
    Reg
  • Yeeer stick me down as per last year please.

Happy to drive again,I can take two 2 bikes on the rack and 4 people. Oh single room please, as I snore like a whale, well so says the wife!

Must not drink too much beer

Must not drink too much beer.... :-)
  • I'm in again please, as before single room, I snore like the wife the whale tells me.
    Brilliant weekend in 2010, unforgettable moments are the 2 Tim's Saturday morning and Geff's figleaf on the Sunday. Both can be topped I'm sure no pun intentional but Westmills all round.
  • I'm keen.

As a champion snorer, better go for a single room - particularily after the odd Belgian brew.

Adam
  • This is the list of those going. (already!!)

The maximum number is fairly felxible but please, if you are intending to go please let me know.

Any questions? I intend being at the 3 Tuns tomorrow night.

Richard Maynard
    John Riddett
    Geoff Godschalk
    James Boyle
    Martin Hall
    Vic Brown
    Stef Dixon
    Adam Challis
    Mark Constable
    Andy Bartlett
    Pete Green
    Tim Hector
    Kevin Stoker
  • put my name down and ditto sharing room please to keep costs down.
    no skelders is a big blow but great to see so many characters already signed up.
    this year we will have to spike Hector's drinks again or will be left for dust.
    Vincent
  • Thanks Vincent, after my poor showing on the ale last year, i will be getting some early practice in.

Aim to swich to Belgium beers at the start of August. I will be doing interval drinking, drink as much as you can in three minutes, rest 3 minutes, drink as much as you can in 3 minutes. Repeat 2x3 three times a week.

I should be in formidable form by september :-)
  • Mark,

Got it,

Thanks,

Richard
  • Talked to Stef yesterday.

We are going to start making initial bookings at the hotel. If anybody is thinking of joining the trip now is a good time to get your deposit in.

Richard
  • Hi, Bringing this back to the top.

A couple of points: -

Don't forget 5/7/11 at the three Tuns, we'll have a planning meeting then.

Assuming we keep Saturday pretty much the same, what do you want to do on Friday and Sunday?
    I'm happy to do a bit more WW1 history and have a couple of ideas. I've had a request to see the sea and we could go to the menin Gate ceromony at 20.00hrs but this would interfere with the set meal. Are there any other requests?/ideas.

Richard
  • Think the sea would be good if we can get a good seafood lunch...otherwise not bothered.......sorry if it sounds irreverent, but the set meal and the improvised court with you and Martin is far more in keeping with the weekend away if it is on a Saturday rather than a ceremony for WW1. Happy to absorb some History but it is about cycling and trenching not trenches.
  • What about Bruges (Brugge)?
  • great film!
  • friday... drive a bit further afield and find some new cobbled classics climbs.... ?
    sunday... end up in somewhere like ypres for an early lunch, then towpath ride back, shower/change and off...?
  • ps.. last chance if you want a belgium shirt as need to get the order in. if you want one and not already posted above then shout now
  • edited June 2011
    OK Thanks guys,

This is Sunday's Route, picked for WW1 history, somewhere to stop for lunch if required, ability to split group, and it's somewhere you haven't been before (ish)

http://tiny.cc/maynard1

Friday - I'm still thinking about.
  • edited June 2011
    And Sunday

http://tiny.cc/maynard2

But I'm open to requests.
  • have no idea what these mean Richard....can anyone make these readable???? Will Saturday be like last year 2 rides of differing lengths....lunch out....back to bar...hotel for change...back to bar for supper and you and Martin to fleece us...then on to club??/ bar
  • Richard - I am a definitely maybe: still timetable dependent - put me down and will sort it out this week.

Do we have an idea of shirt costs?
  • Geoff,

Martin has now Tiny URL'd the links but for future reference when I put them on here you need to copy the whole link and paste it into the address box at the top of your internet browser page.

Jeremy,

Stef is sorting shirts out but I don't think there are many takers. I might also sort out some polo shirts if people fancy these instead. I think that, like me, everybody has too many tour shirts already!
    Your name is on the list.

Any other takers?
  • Thanks Richard...and Martin...got them now