Welcome to the forum

2012 : CHILTERN 100 : 2012 - Sunday 27th May

13»

Comments

• 8am start it is then.......ouch!
  • good luck tomorrow CCA...........will be hot so remember that hydration will be the most crucial aspect.......have a good one
  • good luck guys. gutted I'm not on the start line with u, set 2 b a cracking day! drink lots!!!!
  • so guys.....where's the report?.....anyone
  • Very hilly, very HOT !!!

;)

DavidJ
  • What an introduction to hills! There were 9 of us on the Medio; David, Emma, Vicky, Tom, Richard, Gino, Jane, Martin H and me. I think we kept it together for about the first 25 miles marred only by me dropping my chain (switched to compact on the front - and can't have adjusted it properly - glad I changed though!).

After that Martin headed off to turn in a good time, I started off with him but thinking of 50 hilly miles still to go thought I'd not push too hard. When I got to the food stop I waited for the blue train to arrive but after that decided to head off on my own and see how I got on - finished in 5:29 and met Martin who'd done a cracking 5:09.

I headed off before the blue train arrived back so can't talk for everyone but for me the feeling of finishing the last hill was pure elation - worth the pain but I think I might prepare a bit before my next hilly ride;-)

Andrew R
  • edited May 2012
    For me it was exhausting, exhilarating and an unforgettable day. I LOVED those downhills

Still thrilled to have made it to the finish line with the team ... and yes, I'm still smiling now

Thanks to Tom, Vicky, Gino, Richard, Emma and of course Mountain-Man Jones for all the moral support and sheer entertainment value. It wouldn't have been half as much fun without you.

J :)
  • Times from the Gran Fondo (in no particular order....)

Stef D = 8hrs 7mins
    Iain F = 7hrs 12 mins
    Pete G = 8hrs 7mins
    Phil K = 7hrs 41 mins
    Geoff 118 = 8hrs 7mins
    Alistair S = 7hrs 42 mins
    Ian S = 7hrs 21mins
    Mark W = 7hrs 42mins (includes taking a wrong turn...doh!)
  • David sums it up best... very hilly, very hot.
    Weather made this a much bigger challenge than in previous years, most times were well down on last year.
    Pete and I opted for a steady ride enjoying the views, it is a stunning route. 1 chain off and 1 impact puncture (road surface was pretty shocking)
    Generally very well organised and signed, but at the end of day - too hilly and too hot! Well done to all.
  • Don't forget to check your tyres - I've just pulled 4 sharp bits of flint out of mine
  • Times from the Medio Fondo (no particular order):
    Vicky B 06:09:45
    Andrew R 05:29:40
    Martin H 05:09:59
    Tom H 06:10:12
    David J 06:10:14
    Emma K 06:09:42
    Richard T 06:25:28
    Jane W 06:09:47

Well done everyone. I thoroughly enjoyed the day even if it was a tad too hot.

Vicky
  • edited May 2012
    Thanks for the times Vicky. Just to add that it was a great day although slightly hot. We did a great job as a team and the blue train was commented on by almost everyone who passed us - especially those who had been abandoned by their teams! Loads of people said how well we rode together as a team and it was this spirit that made it so enjoyable. Worth adding that our actual ride time was 5hrs18mins and the overall time includes 2 puncture repairs and regrouping at the top of every evil hill! Bring on the next challenge.......

EmmaK
  • Hi all, thanks for the great ride , two punctures 1 mile to the end gutted !
    some how my time was missed
    06:22:33

thanks again everyone couldnt of of done it without you

Gino
  • edited May 2012
    great reports guys & gals...all credit to you....another big notch in CCA credibility ratings in respect of other clubs seeing how we ride.....well done and glad you had good weather