Welcome to the forum

Ghent trip, Fri 23rd – Sat 24th Nov 2012

edited April 2012 in General
Ghent 6 trip, Belgium
CC Ashwell
Fri 23rd – Sat 24th November 2012

The trip: A two night stay in the beautiful city of Ghent, Belgium – to see some of the annual track racing events, along with a few beers and frites.

I’m going to Ghent this November. I know there are others interested and committed too. As is usual for CCA events – it’s a case of say it, do it and let others jump on board as they see fit. There’s different ways to do it, below is just a few options.

I’m hoping to buy track tickets soon, and the hotel. Eurostar booking will have to wait – they’re not going as far as November right now. I’ll update info and prices on this discussion as I find things out. This is getting the discussion thread going really.

Av it!

GETTING THERE

Option 1.
Eurostar St Pancras - Brussels on Friday morning. Then catch a connecting local train to Ghent, arriving in the afternoon.

Option 2.
Drive, Friday morning. If you get four in a car – it will get very economical. Early start - you'll be there mid-afternoon.

Option 3.
I’m looking to cycle to Ghent [and get the train back]. On Thursday morning. From Ashwell to Dover is approx 130 miles, via Essex, the Tilbury-Gravesend ferry over the Thames, and then through Kent. Then catch a ferry to Calais.

At Calais, I will either stay overnight ,in or nearby, in a cheap hotel styley [e.g. a Hotel Etap/ibis in Calais], or push on the extra 100 miles through the night to Ghent. So, arriving in Ghent either Friday morning or early afternoon, audax styley. Right now: I’m thinking of stopping overnight in Calais; inpart easier, and in part the opportunity to have half a beer in Bergues and then lunch in Diksmuide the next day.

I’m familiar with most of the Essex part of the ride. Know nothing of Kent. And know only the middle bit of the France/Belgium ride from our great trips to Diksmuide beforehand.

IN GHENT

I’m looking to book a 2-star hotel like ibis Gent Centrum Opera. It’s approx 15 mins walk to the velodrome. My plan is to get tickets for Friday and Saturday night’s racing. Though Friday is a bonus track – Saturday is the big night for me. Friday will include a bit of sight seeing, bike shops and bars. Saturday might see a bit of a hangover/recovery and tootle around the local bike shops and bars before the evening’s racing.

Sunday is largely just about getting back. But might do a few miles on the bike somewhere beforehand, maybe.

GETTING BACK

Local train to Brussels. Then Brussels Eurostar to London. Bikes are able to go on the Eurostar [cheers Scouse] – either dismantled into a bike bag, prebooked or a kind of parcel service.

Simples!

APPROX TRAVEL/TICKET/ACCOMMODATION COSTS [for Option 3 – overnight Calais]

Thursday 22nd Nov
Ferry Tilbury-Gravesend £5
Lunch £10
Ferry Dover-Calais £20
Hotel in Calais £35
Dinner £20

Friday 23rd Nov
Breakfast £10
Lunch £20
Hotel £35
Track ticket £20

Saturday 24th Nov
Track ticket £30
Hotel £35

Sunday 25th Nov
Train Ghent-Brussels £20
Eurostar Brussels-London £75

Approx total, £335.00 + booze n’ frites

My next steps in next week or so;
- Buy track tickets
- Book hotel[s]

At a later time;
- Ferry ticket
- Eurostar ticket

I’ll update this discussion as things move on. It’d be good to have a few out there! November – what can possibly go wrong?!

Comments

• Martin...pleEEASE can I jump onboard YOUR option..ride there etc. As you know I have lost the opportunity to do my LeJog trip due to manky leg...should be all fit and sorted well before Ghent so would love to do this trip. Please book me tickets etc. along with yours...will settle up when you ask. Please a separate room as I do snore slightly:-)
  • edited April 2012
    Sounds awesome!

Am in, all being well.

Martin if you train it back, where will you get a bike-bag from?

Am looking at early Friday depart, returning Sunday pm Eurotunnel (approx £100 return), a tank and bit of petrol. About £50 per head, based on four in car

Cheap as frites!

Plus food, hotel etc and lots of beer vouchers as per your post
  • It'd be ace to have you in Ghent, Scouse. Someone to fall in the canal with. You might have to bring yer own shatter-glass pint pots - it's all la-di-da wafer-thin Euro danger glass out there. ;-)

Bikes on Eurostar. Good question. I will look into the pre-book option soon. Or buy a cheap bag there. Or borrow one - and if anyone is driving over, kindly ask to shove in boot. Or take whole bike back - for a few quid. Dunno yet.
  • For cyclocross fans there is normally a big race run over this weekend. There's another option.

This looks like a wonderful trip Martin.

Daniel
  • Also in.

a couple of points...the last session and winners presentation etc is sunday lunchtime not sure exactly of timings.

one of the ways ive done it in the past and quite a cheap option is leave the car at Dover, take bike on the seacat to Ostend as foot passenger, then cycle approx 50 miles to Ghent.

Not sure how i will travel yet, depends if Mrs D comes.
  • Yes, please.

My plans for this years riding have gone pear shaped, this would be a good way to the end the year.

Gavin B.
  • edited April 2012
    martiin

how about an option 4 which is;

1 - cycle to st pancras from ashwell (50 miles) or (catch the 05.21 from Ashwell to kings cross - gets you to london before cycle restrictions)
    2 - catch High Speed 1from st pancras to dover priory (about £50 return) takes about 1hr 30mins and they depart every 30mins and i have seen loads of bikes on it - say the 07.24; which gets you to dover by about 9am
    3 - catch ferry to calais (or dunkirk; less to cycle) think these go every 2hrs and take max 2hrs
    4 - pedal from calais (or dunkirk) to ghent 95miles'ish (80 from Dunkirk)

5 - ditto the way back

not sure of how connections would work out but if you left ashwell early enough you could probably get the 10 o'clock ferry and be in calais/dunkirk by 12'ish which will leave you the afternoon to pedal to ghent
  • It's turning into the Gumball Rally! - get there however you can and see you in California. Or Ghent.

Yes: there's loads of ways to do this. Let's keep the options coming and then see where things lie. I can see a pub meeting in the near future. Maybe an add-on after the AGM.
  • And for those who want to get an idea of what it's like cycling in Belgium…
  • I see what you mean Martin, it's all going it bit barmy. Mind you no one has mention 'fixed wheel' yet.

Or fixed wheel tandem. LINK

Ideal for through the night riding as one can sleep (and still pedal) whilst the other steers (and pedals)

Daniel
  • unicycle....
  • Up for this - Martin thanks for taking the lead...

I'm keen to ride as much of the journey down as possible - Tim's Ghent stories make it sound more like a pilgrimage than anything else.

Given all the options, I can see having good fun with a 'track my progress' app!

Adam
  • Ashwell-Dover
    http://tiny.cc/ashwell-dover

Calais-Ghent
    http://tiny.cc/calais-ghent
    328ft of climbing on 100 miles!
  • Daniels tandem above is a must. im sure i could fix a small brake somewhere just in case. lovin that bike. And its a good point, the person on the back can either sleep or drink Duval ad infinitum!
  • Just a thought here Martin.......am I looking at this wrong, or would Harwich/Ostend on the cAT be a better option?.....80 miles to Harwich...last but boat over..overnight stay then a short ride to Ghent?.....I've often thought about a ride that way and once drove back on a good cycling route to test it out.....time to at least look into the option perhaps?
  • edited April 2012
    Cheers Geoff.

The conversation to be had is around the definition of "better". For cyclists, is one day cycling better than two? Are 80 miles better than 230?

Time away is the biggest factor for most club members - less so cost, as the differences are likely marginal. I think it's possible there'll be two cycling options - a Thursday start and a Friday start.

And maybe some who drive or train it both ways.

I am still erring on the side of a Thursday start.

For now - nothing has changed while options are thought about. We need to buy track tickets and Ghent hotel soonish. And the travel can be considered a little later. I'm going to try and chat with the ticket people this week.

Sections A and B will be the best places - on the finish line. Then H - directly opposite. But these seats are allocated as opposed to other sections that are un-named. It might be simpler if we got tickets in these 'lesser' areas. And cheaper. Tim D - any thoughts from previous experience?
  • edited April 2012
    L & M, on the final bend may be fun and exciting...
  • My view would be that it doesnt make much difference where you sit. Its a tiny velodrome, 166 m so you get a good view wherever you sit. you also spend a lot of time in track center and sitting in other peoples seats anyway.
  • as it will be so warm...

2 or three cars, bikes loaded, get there and if its not freezing get some miles in in situ

it's great to be a belgian...

Potverdekke, it's great to be a Belgian
    I'm not English, I'm not French and I'm not Dutch
    (I'm not Spanish, Portuguese or German)
    I'm a Belgian, so thank you very much!
    As I walk along the streets
    With my mayonnaise and frites
    You can tell I'm as happy as can be
    With my Duvel in my hand
    Then you must understand
    I'm a Belgian, so nothing worries me!
    (I'm not Irish, Italian or Danish)
    I'm a Belgian, so thank you very much
    Without the Belgians there would be no saxophone
    no Tintin, captain Haddock or Poirot
    and you'll excuse me if I ‘ve missed
    anybody of the list
    These are the only Belgians that I know!
    (I'm not Finnish, Austrian or Swedish)
    Now the English egg and bacon's not so bad
    Especially since all their cows went mad
    But if they've never tasted mussels
    On the Grand Place down in Brussels
    It's no wonder they're feeling very sad!
    (I'm not Irish, Italian or Danish)
    I'm a Belgian, I'm not Irish, I'm not Greek
    I don't drink Guinness or Retsina, I drink Kriek!
    On the Schelde or the Meuse
    You find me drinking Gueuze
    Or Leffe or Chimay or Lambik!
    (And me, I'm not a Luxemburger)
  • Is that your late entry for eurovision?
  • I'm still trying to read it all!!!!!........what you on Scouse ? :-)
  • Will Andrew Leverton be racing at Ghent?
  • Potverdekke got to number 6 in the Belgian pop charts.

Don't let that put you off the place.

Well done all the lads!
  • Copy and Paste FTW
  • Lots of excitement!
    Up for a long ride as you suggest Martin in 3.
  • Brill.

A quick scan down the list for people so far - I just want a basic idea for conversations on tickets;

Martin L
    Scouse
    Geoff
    Tim D
    Stef D
    Gavin
    Phil K
    Adam C
    Robbie

null
  • Looks like Daniel is right. On the Saturday, probably no coincidence, there is the Vlaamse Duinencross cyclocross race, about 50m away from Ghent, in Koksijde.

Here's World Champion Zdenek Stybar doing the dunes last year.

Maybe something to do for those who don't want to amble around Ghent in the day time.
  • You can book tickets online. I reckon I will bring my laptop to the AGM at the Three Tuns on Thursday, have a chat with anyone wanting to go, and do a block booking.

I'm thinking of tickets for the middle of the track on Friday [only about a tenner] - and a cheaper seat for Saturday. I'm assuming people with seat tickets can get to the middle no problem. Will try and find out.

If people want a fancier seat - here's the link to book now. The popular sections - A, B, C, H - are nearly sold out.

http://www.uitbureau.be/default_uit1.aspx?ref=ACAD&lang=NL_UIT
  • If its still the same then you can go into the middle anytime if you have a seat ticket. If you only have a middle ticket you will get a sore neck and very dizzy (and thats without any Westmalle). they lap in 12seconds!
  • Thanks for the tip Tim. Reckon we go for something like seats in the cheaper Block D both nights then. Still very reasonably priced.