Welcome to the forum

HILL CLIMB - Interclub Sun 7th Oct

edited July 2012 in Time Trial
Folks,
Advance notice of the club hill climbs. The Interclub event is the 7th Oct and i think is up the clappers again. I certainly intend to ride.

The week before, the 30th Sept will be our club hill climb. I haven't organised anything yet and haven't decided where it will be. Any suggestions?

Comments

• gravel hill
  • Charlton Hill would be good [the closest OS Maps gradient marked hill to Ashwell].

The cheeky lump behind Wimpole is very quiet and long enough.

Theo - Graveley Hill? Yep - long and a right test.

Similar to the climb to Wallington from the Sandon side. That would be good for spectators - you can pretty much see the whole thing.

Or the Little Chef to Therfield 'Olympic Challenge' - in the Olympic year: clock starts from the moment you tuck in to an Olympic Breakfast from the Royston Lill' Chef and finishes the moment you down a pint at Therfield.
  • Ventoux?
  • What about that hill after Wimpole......good flat start, rt hand then climb with a nasty tip at top and a pull in for finishing....about a mile of flat straight at top to warm up and warm down with good visibility.....just a thought
  • edited July 2012
    How about -

Birds Hill (just off the A507) going from Baldock to Clothal. Pretty quiet as its bypassed by the A507 and gets progressively steeper towards the end

or

as we did Coombe down last year, could try the one that is two hills along and runs parallel to slip end. Would start on the flat bit by the 505 and finish by Sandon church. Think it maybe called Wheat hill?

DavidJ
  • Good suggestions.

I dont know the wimploe climb. presumably the road if you dont turn left into wimpole hall? i will go check it out.

Charlton is great but maybe a bit non local?

Bird hill also great but if a car comes down it, it would be problematic as its so narrow.

probably ventoux at the moment.

The little chef, olympic hill climb special has to be done at some point. maybe christmas sometime.
  • Alpe D'huez?
  • nah, a bit short
  • Tim - yes. If you don't turn down the road into the Wimpole car park but carry on, it carries on and feels a bit like a private road - but it's all gravy. Never steep - but a climb all the same. Brings you out on the A1198. Very quiet.

Is the Kingsland Road 'Post Office' hill out of Ashwell a problem? Right next to the 3Cs.
  • i agree with Dave J - the one two over from coombe hill. from sandon turn left but then dont take the right to kelshall, instead carry on down towards the 505. from the 505 coming back theres a short descent then a surprisingly tough climb all the way back to sandon church...
  • edited August 2012
    Gravely hill would be awesome
  • I'd support Martin's idea of Charlton hill as it is a horrible hill with a decent gradient so you might actually get a climber winning. If not there then the idea from David is good as again birds hill is steep and relatively empty.

Looking forward to competing
  • Has this been decided yet?

And when will the start time be?
  • Not sure wimpole has enough in it apart from the nasty kick at end, roads fairly gravelly at farm entrance at start point
  • Was out riding around Great Chishill/Chrishall tonight and there are some awesome hills around there that might be worth considering. Yes it's not on Ashwell's doorstep but they are different to what i imagine everyone has ridden around Ashwell.

New Road up to Great Chishill, a long one at 2 miles
    Littlebury Green hill up to that transmitter mast (nearest the M11), steep
    Wenden Road to Arkesden, 1 mile and decently steep
    Or consider a route with a small concentration of hills, for example Bogmore Road going into Great Chishill which has various small but decent climbs and finished with a sharp one.

It's worth noting i did the Royston Hilly route a few weeks ago, 40 miles and climbed 1379ft. The ride i did just now was 20 miles and climbed over 1000ft, so there is a decent concentration of hills round here.
  • El Mirador de
  • I think Tim has chosen a hill, it has to be risk assessed and registered with the CTT in advance.
    I'll let him reveal the route when he is back from hols.
  • A question being new to the club, can anyone enter both days or do you have to qualify?
  • Hi Tom, anyone can enter and all are welcome, there is no qualification necessary.
    Our hill climb you can enter on the day, Tim will put up details but we'll probably meet at the Tunns as usual and you can enter there then we'll all ride over to the hill.
    As I say all are welcome to ride, there is no expectation of a particular standard.

Similar with the InterClub hill climb - it is open to all riders from CCA and the other 3 participating clubs (Beds, Hitchin and Icknield). Again all riders are welcome and there is no qualification. You do have to register in advance but booking isnt open yet. Someone will post the link to enter when it opens.
  • marvelous, i am nowhere near a climber but will definatly come down
  • OK then. well i had a look at a number of the suggestions and most were not really severe enough or too far away. also i must admit what with holidays and stuff, i ran out of time to risk assess and have the CTT division ratify a new course .....so, we are back on the Hatch Lane course, that is the one up Weston hills from the george 6th pub in Baldock.

The start is right by the corner of the turn into the housing estate and the finish is the centre of the new road bridge.

i will post more details later, but the signing on will be at the Tuns , 9.00. Ill dig out last times results as well.

We tested it out this morning on the club run and its still quite punchy!
  • Here you go, 2010 result for info.....

1 Josh Maynard 2.23 WW
    2 Matthew Palmer 2.24 unattached
    3 Ian Foulkes 2.29
    4 Lee Holmes 2.35
    5 Max Pendleton 2.39 Mildenhall
    6 Phil Adams 2.42
    7 Vince Friedlander 2.44
    8 Greg Smith 2.48
    9 Theo Doncaster 2.50
    10 Martin Lawless 2.52
    11 Chris Smith 2.57
    12 Tony Strapp 2.58
    13 Mark Constable 3.03
    14 Darren Carter 3.18
    15 Daniel Maynard 3.22 WW
    16 Vic Brown 3.42
    17 Rebecca Maynard 3.44 WW
  • Tim, what is the policy on cutting corners, referring to the sharp right turn at the top of the hill?
  • All time trials, and for that matter road races and club runs happen on open roads and the rules of the road must be followed at all times. You may not therfore use the wrong side of the road under any circumstances. Best to assume that a car will come round that corner. There will not be a marshal there so dont cut this or indeed any corner.
  • How about a "Clydesdale" category for those competitors weighing 13 stone or more (i.e. proper grown-ups)?

No prize or trophy, just the honour of being the fastest chubber.

Mark F (13 st 1 lb)
  • Great idea.

OK then, the Clydesdale category for 13 stone and above. Let me know your weights. Ill bring my scales just in case i dont believe you! Indeed, im slightly surprised by your claimed 13,1 Mark.
  • is there also going to be an 'HC' (haut clydesdale) for those who need an 'above catagory' excuse....

Phil k (15st 2lb)
  • If we're going down this route and Tim's bringing the 'scales of truth', then we should be able to do an 'on the road time' and an 'adjusted' time after the event.

Obviously it'll be 'weighted' in favour of those of us who carry a bit more than the rest.

Richard
  • edited September 2012
    Surely more weight = more traction?

If it's damp, it could be a disadvantage to us lightweights!

ETA I'll be slow whatever the circumstances!
  • Spotted somebody out training on this hill yesterday evening whilst coming out of Baldock on mtb ride. MC overtook whoever it was but more of his riding escapades later..... Hope you're not too sore today Mark ;)