Welcome to the forum

Harp Hilly Hundred - 20th Jan 2013 - Club Award available

edited November 2012 in Club runs
Never heard of this event and it looks good, it's not that far away, and the club can earn the Harp Hilly Hundred Shield just for having the most number of riders complete it.

All information is here. Entry is £10 (on the day) and it says the course is fully signed. At least 50% of the fee is given to charity.

There are two routes, 100km and 55km, both starting from Kings Langley, HP3 9TE. 50 minutes away by car.

I assume the award is for the most number of riders across both events, and the winners for the past three years have won with 16, 13 & 18 riders respectively, so it seems just 20 riders would be enough. And as there are two routes it suits all abilities. Based on our current club runs 20 should be achievable.

Based on all the above this might be a great idea for a big club run?

Comments

• I'd be up for this, Chris ... assuming I manage to keep a reasonable level of fitness through the winter and the weather isn't diabolical on the day

But as you say, entries are only accepted on the day, so anyone who wants to do it can be pretty sure of conditions before they commit

It'd be great to get a big contingent from CCA and even better to take home the Harp Hilly Hundred shield. Go CCA!
  • ^ agree with Jane!

Bring it on
  • I'm up for this...
  • Great, that's 4 down, 16 to go.....
  • Think we did this one a couple of years back...
    good route. Am up for this.
  • I did this ride last time round, very well organised and........O yes, its a bit hilly !!!
  • I might do this. Depending on the weather! Hills aren't really my thing but I like different events and I figure no more than half of it can be up hill.
  • I checked with the organisers and the award is given to riders in the 100km route only, not including the 55km. So we would need most, if not all, riders doing the long one.

I've come up with this hilly training ride which could be done as a club run in early Jan, which gets in some decent hills and is the same distance. And will loosen up the legs after Christmas!
  • Nice one, Chris. I'm definitely up for some training rides around Christmas and New Year
  • The longer ride does take in quite a few hills ;-) pleasant route though
  • Always good riding in the Chilterns. I should be there, too.
  • Sounds great, count me in for the full 100k!
  • This is my stomping ground since I live in Bushey, just the other side of the M25 there.
    Depends upon the winter training but the 55 might be a tad too short though for a 2hr 'round trip?
    The Chilters have some quite excellent XC routes such as May's 70, 100 and 132 kms http://www.bucksoffroadsportive.co.uk/
  • edited December 2012
    (Bringing this back to the top)

Chris - James Mac, Nathan, Shaun and I are still up for the Harp Hilly Hundred, plus a few training rides.
    FYI we recruited Rupert as well today, who I don't htink uses the forum

That makes 8 of us ... 12 more riders needed, if we want to bring home that shield :)
  • Count me in... I'll be up for that too.
  • Thanks Jane, the recruitment is going well!

I had this route in mind as a training ride: HHH Training, plus we could do the classic hilly ride around Sandon. But let's get Christmas out of the way first.
  • edited December 2012
    Looks fun ... I'm in.

Chris that's a very nice training route.
  • In as a probably
  • Due to commitments at home i won't be able to run the training route i suggested above before the 20th, so you guys will have to go it alone if you want to.

I will of course be there on the 20th, legs ready for the hills!
  • Just to raise the bar a bit, Hitchin Nomads had over 20 riders out on their club run this weekend, and they're planning to get the same number out for this.

They won't be the only ones making a push for numbers.

If we want a decent chance at winning the shield, we're going to need a very good turn out from CCA.
  • I've just realised it lands on the weekend of the London bike show - I will find out which day my friend is planning for us to go but will try and swing it to the saturday!!
  • I'll bring along my inflatable "Aeroplane autopilot" styled peloton too, that should keep the numbers up. I'm pretty sure this is a good day for me. I've got a late night gig on sat, but should be able to scrape myself out of bed in time. If I drive over there I'll have room in the car for one other plus bike... Alternatively if anybody really wants to do a long day (think it would work out at about 120 miles or so) it could be rideable? Erm......
  • edited January 2013
    I was thinking about riding the finest of Royston's hills this weekend as prep ... but I can't get the weather forecast out of my head and somethings' telling me that skis might be a better option than tyres?

Anyway, here's a route (40 miles with around 800m climbing - even though Mapmyride says it's only 400m climbing!) http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/43646666

It's a bit short for a Sunday ride though - any ideas for adding a bit of a detour? (Oh and if somebody could add a few degrees C to the forecast, that'd be much appreciated too)
  • I'm in for the harpenden 100km, not sure I can make Sunday but about Saturday for a ride. Your not wrong about the weather this weekend, chilly....
  • I would be up for this, weather permitting. Should give my legs a good wake-up for the New Year.
  • The weather is looking iffy right thru to the end of the week. The organisers will be assessing the ice risk nearer the time, I'd expect. Maybe it will be OK.

I think somebody told me parking might be limited around the HQ? Is that correct? Where to park instead?

Registration opens 8.45am according to the website. So us all leaving @ 9.00am looks hopeful. I'd suggest giving us a bit more time to get signed in - say set off all together at 9.15am? If the course is going to be safe, that is...
  • given this is going ahead all ok are we all meeting there at a specific time and place?
    feel woefully unprepared for this, should be quiet character building :)
  • Yep, register at 8:45. Be at the start and ready to go at 9:15
    The forecast is not good, but my fingers are crossed. I'm trying to get hold of the organiser to get a view on likelihood of cancellation/postponement
  • Note that the HHH is just the first of six "Chiltern Classics" reliability trails over consecutive Sundays. All go into the Chilterns but use different roads. All are 100km. So there are other chances to do a ride in the Chilterns if anybody's not comfortable with the road conditions this weekend...

Details and route description (from the Hemel Hempstead CC):
    Chiltern Classics Harp RC - Sunday 20th January
    Chiltern Classics Team Quest - Sunday 27th January
    Chiltern Classics Hemel Hempstead CC - Sunday 3rd February
    Chiltern Classics Edgeware RC - Sunday 10th February
    Chiltern Classics Willesden CC - Sunday 17th February
    Chiltern Classics CC Luton - Sunday 24th February
  • edited January 2013
    Richard from Harpenden RC tells me that the Harp Hilly will go ahead regardless of the weather and they haven't missed a year since it started in 1954

They'll be placing the signage on Saturday and will divert the route if they deem any roads to be un-rideable. However, I suspect his definition of un-rideable might be slightly different to mine and I really don't fancy big descents in sub-zero temperatures. Of course, the Met Office might have got things badly wrong, but if not, I'm going to skip this event and plan for Hemel or Edgeware instead (as per list above)